• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Houston

^ contend for last place?

It's about making the playoffs this season so we get the 1st round pick NEXT season, otherwise we have to wait until the following year and hope they make the playoff then to get the 1st round pick, same goes for the next year and the next until 2016. If they don't make the playoffs by 2016, in 2017 the 1st round pick now becomes a 2nd round pick. It's all about getting the pick NEXT season.

• Premium Member

I still find it bizarre that Houston literally went from having two point guards that when healthy and given minutes produce at an All Star level (Dragic and Lowry) and yet they bungled their way with both of them and had to settle on Lin. Unreal. Now they are giving Harden a five year max deal without even seeing him play to see if he can actually be a max player. I'm so glad we don't have Morey as our GM.

LOL @ talking about the Houston GM. People sure do have short memories around here

Morey is simply doing what every GM of a mediocre to bad team will do . . take a risk on talented players. And if you have to overpay to bring them in, so be it. Houston is a city used to rooting for playoff level type teams, even if they got bounced out early. So when you miss the playoffs for 3 consecutive years, and your rebuilding plan can't land you one of those MAX free agents . . and the NBA itself nixed a deal that could've brought Pau Gasol in . . you simply do what you have to do, to make yourself relevant again.Lin represents the type of financial boon that Yao Ming brought to the Rockets. Lin's ethnicity makes him extremely marketable to the Asian market overseas. And Harden is one of the best young players in the league.We'll see at the end of the year who wins GM of the Year. If Morey's moves pay off, and the Rockets make the playoffs as a 6th or higher seed, he'd have to be in the running to win the award.

LOL @ talking about the Houston GM. People sure do have short memories around here

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUO4xqEjqV4

Morey is simply doing what every GM of a mediocre to bad team will do . . take a risk on talented players. And if you have to overpay to bring them in, so be it. Houston is a city used to rooting for playoff level type teams, even if they got bounced out early. So when you miss the playoffs for 3 consecutive years, and your rebuilding plan can't land you one of those MAX free agents . . and the NBA itself nixed a deal that could've brought Pau Gasol in . . you simply do what you have to do, to make yourself relevant again.

Lin represents the type of financial boon that Yao Ming brought to the Rockets. Lin's ethnicity makes him extremely marketable to the Asian market overseas. And Harden is one of the best young players in the league.

We'll see at the end of the year who wins GM of the Year. If Morey's moves pay off, and the Rockets make the playoffs as a 6th or higher seed, he'd have to be in the running to win the award.

Lin will not have the same type of impact that Yao had in the Asian Market (mainly China). Yao got so much love becaue he was a native son to China who saw him play at home then came to the USA - the hope of China basketball was on the back of Yao. Lin is of Taiwanese decent - totally different culture (China and Taiwan have been in conflict since 1949). Also don't discount Lin's explosion to the fact that he was in NY and had tons of exposure he prolly wouldn't have had somewhere else.

It will be interesting to see how Houston does - overpaid for Lin, overpaid Asik and I think will over pay Harden....only time will tell.

Lin will not have the same type of impact that Yao had in the Asian Market (mainly China). Yao got so much love becaue he was a native son to China who saw him play at home then came to the USA - the hope of China basketball was on the back of Yao. Lin is of Taiwanese decent - totally different culture (China and Taiwan have been in conflict since 1949). Also don't discount Lin's explosion to the fact that he was in NY and had tons of exposure he prolly wouldn't have had somewhere else.

It will be interesting to see how Houston does - overpaid for Lin, overpaid Asik and I think will over pay Harden....only time will tell.

The only difference between the Taiwanese and Chinese is government not culture. Their people get along no worse than your typical democrat and republican whom (well, besides some extremists) no one would describe either of not considering themselves American.

You sure?

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2012/10/22/Jeremy-Lin-China-Hopes-102212.aspx

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7oy6fUKuKE

• Premium Member

Morey is an above-average GM, don't see how anybody can call him a bad one. You should have seen the AMA he did on Reddit, he was pretty open, and answered questions about the Lowry and Dragic moves, as well as his past gambles.

The AMA on Reddit? What is an AMA and what is Reddit? Some kind of website?

The AMA on Reddit? What is an AMA and what is Reddit? Some kind of website?

Reddit's a website forum and occasionally celebrities hold "Ask Me Anything" discussions, where people can ask them whatever and they'll answer! I think I can see what he was going for. Honestly, for better or worse, That Toronto pick was a better asset than Lowry. He wouldn't have gotten Harden with Lowry.

• Premium Member

Reddit's a website forum and occasionally celebrities hold "Ask Me Anything" discussions, where people can ask them whatever and they'll answer! I think I can see what he was going for. Honestly, for better or worse, That Toronto pick was a better asset than Lowry. He wouldn't have gotten Harden with Lowry.

Thanks for the info.

• Moderators

Houston would have been better off tanking this season and trading for Harden after this season. They could have agreed with OKC to a future deal that would let OKC contend this season and Houston get a top draft pick this season. Instead both teams are worse for the timing of the trade even with the same pieces.