Harden is Joe Johnson?!...Shhhhhhhiiiii

JTB

Hmm where ya at Sothron? Harden continues to look like a max player to me!

Where is Diesel? I would've thought for sure he'd come up with something to justify Joe's continuous decline in stats across the board with that great PG and center he has the luxury of playing with and relieving those inpenetrable double teams.

• Moderators

Updated through 1/28/13: James Harden At Present26.0 ppg / .590 ts% / 22.7 PER / .192 WS/48 - #3 in the NBA in points, #5 in the NBA in ppg, #2 shooting guardJoe Johnson Career Best Seasons2006-07 (best numbers - 2nd fewest games of his career)25.0 ppg / .558 ts% / 19.5 PER / .105 WS/48 2009-10 (best season with 70+ games)21.3 ppg / .538 ts% / 19.3 PER / .140 WS/48 Kobe Bryant's Career Average Season25.5 ppg on .555 ts% Harden's Current season26.0 ppg on .590 ts% (I'm not bothering putting in the 'total game' metrics since I'm not claiming Harden is a first ballot HOFer like Kobe - just comparing the scoring and scoring efficiency)Harden has struggled a bit over the last week or two but continues to crush JJ's career best year and Kobe's average scoring.

Edited by AHF

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Updated through 2/9/13: James Harden At Present26.1 ppg / .602 ts% / 23.4 PER / .205 WS/48 - #3 in the NBA in points, #5 in the NBA in ppg, #2 shooting guardJoe Johnson Career Best Seasons2006-07 (best numbers - 2nd fewest games of his career)25.0 ppg / .558 ts% / 19.5 PER / .105 WS/48 2009-10 (best season with 70+ games)21.3 ppg / .538 ts% / 19.3 PER / .140 WS/48 Kobe Bryant's Career Average Season25.5 ppg on .555 ts% Harden's Current season26.1 ppg on .602 ts% (I'm not bothering putting in the 'total game' metrics since I'm not claiming Harden is a first ballot HOFer like Kobe - just comparing the scoring and scoring efficiency)Harden continues to crush JJ's career best year and best Kobe's average scoring in an average season.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

Back to Harden: Houston is scoring 1.51 points per possession on trips in which he drives at any time in the shot clock. That is easily the highest mark among all players in the 15-team database with more than a token number of drives. It is a mammoth number; keep in mind, teams average just about one point per possession overall. Harden has drawn a foul on one-third of his drives, which is among the highest numbers in the data set, and sort of amazing when you think about it.

Jeremy Lin is averaging 8.1 drives per game, ninth among all players, and even though he’s having a disappointing season, the Rockets are scoring 1.32 points per possession when Lin drives — about what the Spurs have scored on Parker drive possessions.

In other words: There is some merit to the idea of telling guys, “Put your head down, get to the paint, and make a play — any damn play,” especially if the team has skilled 3-point shooters and good passers driving the ball. The punishment will likely be a lot of turnovers, and Carlos Delfino, more empowered to drive in Houston than he might be elsewhere, indeed ranks among the most turnover-prone drivers so far.

And what of Harden? He has turned over the ball on just 4 percent of his drives, one of the lowest numbers in the data set. The dude is scary. These numbers paint him as even more valuable than we might think.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/50343/the-height-of-wonkery-an-in-depth-look-at-the-nba-with-the-most-innovative-technology-available

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Updated through 2/28/13: James Harden At Present26.4 ppg / .605 ts% / 23.5 PER / .206 WS/48 - #3 in the NBA in points, #5 in the NBA in ppg, #2 shooting guardJoe Johnson Career Best Seasons2006-07 (best numbers - 2nd fewest games of his career)25.0 ppg / .558 ts% / 19.5 PER / .105 WS/48 2009-10 (best season with 70+ games)21.3 ppg / .538 ts% / 19.3 PER / .140 WS/48 Kobe Bryant's Career Average Season25.5 ppg on .555 ts% Harden's Current season26.4 ppg on .605 ts% (I'm not bothering putting in the 'total game' metrics since I'm not claiming Harden is a first ballot HOFer like Kobe - just comparing the scoring and scoring efficiency)Harden continues to absolutely crush JJ's career best year and best Kobe's average scoring in an average season. On a side note, Kobe's productivity has nose-dived to where he is only .8 ppg better than Harden and scoring significantly less efficiently than Harden so there is a much better chance that Harden will surpass Kobe as the #1 SG for this season than JJ's career best coming close to Harden's first season unleashed.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

With the regular season almost done I think it is fair to say that I was wrong about Harden. He has managed to become an efficient scorer on his own merit which is something I never thought he would be capable of doing. So kudos to him and those that saw it.

• Like 4

I thought he was a 3rd wheel on a superbike, but he is for real. Good call guys.

Same here, I had no idea that he had this kind of game in him. Makes you wonder how good the Thunder might have been if he were a full-time starter with Durant and a more traditional PG.

Same here, I had no idea that he had this kind of game in him. Makes you wonder how good the Thunder might have been if he were a full-time starter with Durant and a more traditional PG.

shhhh. They should of traded Westbrook and kept Harden.

• Moderators

It has been over a month since the last update so for the sake of completion...

Updated through 4/3/13: James Harden At Present25.9 ppg / .606 ts% / 23.3 PER / .217 WS/48 - #4 in the NBA in points, #5 in the NBA in ppg, #2 shooting guardJoe Johnson Career Best Seasons2006-07 (best numbers - 2nd fewest games of his career)25.0 ppg / .558 ts% / 19.5 PER / .105 WS/48 2009-10 (best season with 70+ games)21.3 ppg / .538 ts% / 19.3 PER / .140 WS/48 Kobe Bryant's Career Average Season25.5 ppg on .555 ts% Harden's Current season25.9 ppg on .606 ts% (I'm not bothering putting in the 'total game' metrics since I'm not claiming Harden is a first ballot HOFer like Kobe - just comparing the scoring and scoring efficiency)Harden looks like a lock at this point to absolutely crush JJ's career best year and best Kobe's average scoring (and efficiency) in an average season.

How brilliant Carlesimo is. Last night, Marshon Brooks starts on the road, posts 27-7-4 in 37 minutes in an 18 point win. Old Joe comes back from injury. We know his struggles coming back from injury all too well. Starts and plays 35 minutes. Posts 12-1-1, Nets lose at home after leading by 11 at the half while Brooks finishes with 5-2-1 in just 10 minutes. The James Harden comparison was always farfetched to me. Joe can arguably be compared to your basic Marshon Brooks, Jamal Crawford 2 chucker now. 20 mil this year, followed by $2 million increases over the next three. That's just criminal. I love Ferry, but Billy King is my favorite GM by far and The Big Dumb Russian my favorite owner.