• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford showed tonight he can be the man

Sothron

That made laugh, because immediately when I read that I thought of Marvin Williams. Listen, Al hasn't shown anything that should give anybody the idea he can be a goto scorer or first option. He does have arguably the best mid range shot in the league and he is a solid athlete, but he's not or he hasn't been successful throughout his career as a post up player. He's not effective as a face up guy either. He is what he is. A very solid all around player. Not great at any particular aspect, but has no glaring weaknesses either. I hope im wrong, but if he doesn't show flashes here this season of a developing offensive game, then he's probably not going to get significantly better in the future.

Wether Al can be the go to scorer, #1 option or whatever you want to call it...one thing is certain he needs more quality touches for a chance to score plain and simply. Anyone who cannot recognize that is just not a fan. A is not a traditional back to the basket post up player - more often than not he is trying to post up a bigger player, that is not his game. LD has to put him in situation that utilize what he does well. He is too efficient of a scorer to be getting 5/6 shots a game.

• Moderators

Wether Al can be the go to scorer, #1 option or whatever you want to call it...one thing is certain he needs more quality touches for a chance to score plain and simply. Anyone who cannot recognize that is just not a fan. A is not a traditional back to the basket post up player - more often than not he is trying to post up a bigger player, that is not his game. LD has to put him in situation that utilize what he does well. He is too efficient of a scorer to be getting 5/6 shots a game.

Everyone should agree on that. He is our most efficient player and while he has offensive limitations, he can also do a number of versatile things very well. This team needs him to get regular touches and shots.

I think Horford can be a Malone like player but with Josh Smith there, he's seems to be not as aggressive. I like Josh Smith come in from the bench. Josh probably won't like that but I think it would benefit the team. Harris, Josh, Lou--- yeah that's pretty good bench.Starting Lineup:Teague,StevensonKroverHorfordZaza Bench:JoshLouHarrisIvan

• Moderators

I think Horford can be a Malone like player but with Josh Smith there, he's seems to be not as aggressive.

Horford is on his age 26 season. During his age 24 season, Karl Malone averaged 27.7 ppg. During his age 25 season, Malone averaged 29.1 ppg. During his age 26 season, Malone averaged 31.0 ppg. Karl Malone would never have deferred to Josh Smith. I get that Horford is reasonably athletic and has a nice jumper, but saying he is or could be Malone-like is like saying that Lou Williams could be Isiah Thomas-like. They are just on really different levels.

• Premium Member

I think Horford can be a Malone like player but with Josh Smith there, he's seems to be not as aggressive. I like Josh Smith come in from the bench. Josh probably won't like that but I think it would benefit the team. Harris, Josh, Lou--- yeah that's pretty good bench. Starting Lineup: Teague, Stevenson Krover Horford Zaza Bench: Josh Lou Harris Ivan

Start Korver? Korver is hot garbage

Everyone should agree on that. He is our most efficient player and while he has offensive limitations, he can also do a number of versatile things very well. This team needs him to get regular touches and shots.

The reason he's so efficient is because he doesn't take a lot of shots.

• Moderators

That is true. It is also true that he is simply one of best shooters - he led the league (over Dirk, Curry and others) in efficiency on mid-range jumpers two seasons ago. Even if his efficiency drops with more shots (and it likely would), he still needs more touches. The guy is a good passer, killer jump shooter, and decent off the dribble. I'm not talking about 20 shots a game; I am talking about the kind of numbers we have seen so far this year. He is shooting 14.5 FGA so far. His career average is 9.9 FGA/gm.

I would love to see Horf play like this every night. He needs to realize we NEED his offense every night.

I would too. Hopefully coach (and fellow players) can really emphasize this to him. Give him some additional motivation to let him know his offense is essential.

Horford is on his age 26 season. During his age 24 season, Karl Malone averaged 27.7 ppg. During his age 25 season, Malone averaged 29.1 ppg. During his age 26 season, Malone averaged 31.0 ppg. Karl Malone would never have deferred to Josh Smith. I get that Horford is reasonably athletic and has a nice jumper, but saying he is or could be Malone-like is like saying that Lou Williams could be Isiah Thomas-like. They are just on really different levels.

I know they're on different levels but Malone attempted a third more field goals than Horford. Horford right now 19ppg with 14fga. Horford need to attempt 17-20 field goals per game because I think he's a good #1 option right now on the team.

Start Korver? Korver is hot garbage

Need a guy that can make 3s and stretch the floor. Maybe Tolliver can take his place if he doesn't pan out. Edited by Playa

That is true. It is also true that he is simply one of best shooters - he led the league (over Dirk, Curry and others) in efficiency on mid-range jumpers two seasons ago. Even if his efficiency drops with more shots (and it likely would), he still needs more touches. The guy is a good passer, killer jump shooter, and decent off the dribble. I'm not talking about 20 shots a game; I am talking about the kind of numbers we have seen so far this year. He is shooting 14.5 FGA so far. His career average is 9.9 FGA/gm.

He is pretty good off the dribble, but never faces up. It's really frustrating. I agree that he should be absorbing some of the shots left by Joe though.

He is efficient because he can actually shoot and does not take "bad shots". Granted his efficiency might take a slight dip with more shots but I have more confidence that he can hit that mid-range shot at a higher clip than Josh shooting it. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Anyone can be the man in one game. Great game by Horford tonight, though. I just wish Smith would get threads like this when he plays like a beast.

Josh got almost a beast type thread a night last season after the break. He really did and he played like a beast for about 6 weeks in a row. The problem with Josh is the always going to be the same. If his jump shot falls ( hits around .470 to .500 FG% ) Josh is a world beater, but when he shoots .400 to .450 the missed jumpers are doom and gloom on the offensive end. It is really not even a contest as who has the best midrange game...Horford all day long. Edited by Buzzard

Josh got almost a beast type thread a night last season after the break. He really did and he played like a beast for about 6 weeks in a row. The problem with Josh is the always going to be the same. If his jump shot falls ( hits around .470 to .500 FG% ) Josh is a world beater, but when he shoots .400 to .450 the missed jumpers are doom and gloom on the offensive end.

It is really not even a contest as who has the best midrange game...Horford all day long.

Only if you rely on stats to make that assessment. In my opinion, Josh is better.

I kid.

• Like 1

Only if you rely on stats to make that assessment. In my opinion, Josh is better. I kid.

So Josh who is one of the worse shooting midrange players is in your opinion a better midrange player than Horford who is year in and year out in the top ten. That is like saying Josh is better at shooting long range than Reggie Miller because you think so and totally ognoring the fact Josh can't shoot 3's. Stats don't lie when it comes to jump shooting my friend. You either have a good jumper and it shows or you don't and it shows... Edited by Buzzard