• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting statement by Charles Barkley

Blunt91

on inside the NBA last night after the Nuggets/Rockets game Barkely was talking about how most of the pointguards in the league are not truly poinguards but more of a scorer. He was talking in particular about Andre Miller of all people. He said Miller is a good player but more of a scorer than a pointguard. A pointguard is suppose to know when to give the ball to his teammates in the right position at the right time. If Barkley thinks that Miller(whom averaged 11apg a few years ago) isn't a true pointguard then why are we dogging out JT? If most of the Pg's in the NBA are scorers now why say that JT can't run the point? If this is the case then JT is one of the better pointguards in the NBA today.

Ummm... isn't that contradictory?

A true PG = "pointguard is suppose to know when to give the ball to his teammates in the right position at the right time"

Miller = "Miller is a good player but more of a scorer than a pointguard"

JT = Can't run point, and is a scorer.

Thus:

JT does not equal A true PG.

Besides, JT can't handle the ball well enough to be a PG. He picks up his dribble and cannot penetrate easily. He doesn't see the floor.

He is not a PG, despite the fact that a lot of PGs are scorers.

Play.

I agree with you there. I dont know who made that comment about they rather have Wilks starting at the point than JT but whoever did they must know as much as my 3 year cousin of basketball.

Must PG's in this league nowadays are scoring PG's and JT has to become one because the only one on this team that can score consistenly is Reef and JT is our second option. Heck the Cavs which have the coach that some of you wanted has Lebron James, a rookie and not even a "true PG" starting as the PG. The Freaking heat has Dwayne Wade, clearly a 2 guard in this league and a rookie, starting as their point. And now you all saying JT cant handle the point, that is totally clueless.

You guys actually listen to what Charles Barkley has to say? Andre Miller is very good at setting his teammates up to score. [censored], he averaged 10 assist 2 years ago in Cleveland. Barkley is the same guy who had to kiss a Donkey's ass because of his comments about Yao Ming. I listen to Barkley because he is funny, not to be informed about basketball. I think he also said the Wizards would make the playoffs last season because of Michael Jordan. After the infighting started, he tried to backtrack.

TROUBLEMAN

JTFan,

It isn't clueless. JT can't even score consistently when he plays the point.

I could care less if JT scores. I want him to score. Score 20 a game. All the power to him.

But he can't see the floor. He doesn't see things like other players.

He's too busy concentrating on his dribble or something. It isn't a knock on the kid. I like him. But, he can't set the tempo of the game.

A PG slows things down when we were in the TO-fest of the 3rd quarter. JT sped up and looked stupid.

Play.

• Premium Member

There are two things to understand..

1. Barkley is talking from his own experience. Most of the PGs that Barkley played with were pass first. Cassell is the only one who wasn't but even Cassell could. There are some PGs who are shoot first kind of guys. Francis, Davis, etc...

However, the difference. Winning PGs know how to control the tempo of the game. JT has no idea of how to control the tempo nor what Tempo is. It's evident that his idea of controlling the tempo is putting 2 fingers up in the air while David Wesley snatches his cookies.

It's difficult watching the Hawks play because the defense imposes their will on us. That was the case the other night. When we were up by 7 I believe. N.O. made one adjustment. They added Token pressure on the ballhandler and disrupted our offense. So instead of having a half working offense, we had an offense that barely got the ball up court and when they finally got into the halfcourt set, there were about 8 seconds left to run a play. Plays broke down and everybody started going 1 on 1. I think in the third we only scored what... 8 points??

Now, the Scoffers will say.. "Diesel, it's only been 1 game". However, this is the same Stuff we saw last year and the year before. That's what's got my goat about game 1.

Luckily, I don't expect the same thing in Chicago. First of all, they are not that poised. I think they will allow us to play our game without disruption. IN fact, they might allow SAR to go against Fizer 1 on 1 all night.

Let's get the easy vic.

But back to JT.

He's not really in the class of Francis or Davis or any of those other guys like Bibby or Parker. First off, those guys all have court vision and court awareness. I've never seen JT make a good pass in transition. It's like in the half court set, he doesn't know where you're supposed to be. Maybe that's coaching?

Who knows.

check out for Mike Bibby's stats for last year

This is with a supporting cast....Webber, Peja, Diva, Christie and Bobby Jackson.

Check out Tony Parker's stats for last year

This is playing with the best player in basketball and also with some scorers around him.

Check out Baron Davis's stats for last year

This is with Jamal and Wesley plus a couple of guys that can give the Hornets some scoring.

Check out Steve Francis's stats for last year

This is with Yao Ming and Mobley as scorers and some with Griffin and a couple of other guys.

Now Check out JT's stats for last year

This is with Reef and Big Dog and some Theo and Dion.

Now my point is, who said JT is not in the same league with these guys. Stats dont lie, boys. Is all right there in front of you. Now dont give me that BS that JT didnt take his team to the playoffs, because first off nobody takes a team to the playoffs, is the team and coach that goes to the playoffs. NBA is not about individuality if you win or not, is about the team. So the BS of one single player didnt take his team to the playoffs is totally crazy.

JTFan,

No, stats do not lie. But they do not present any semblence of a picture either.

Lynch is an incredible defender. Where are those stats?

Wallace is an incredible defender. The only stat? Blocks.

Rodman played with fire and was an awesome defender. Stat: Rebounds.

Terry is a stat machine. No doubt. But he still does NOT run a team.

There is no stat that shows the PG slowed the tempo or sped it up. There is no extra stat that shows how he directed traffic or if he botched the play. There is no stat for leadership. There is no stat for court vision.

Piling up stats does not make a great player.

Terry still, despite his stats, does not run an efficient offense. The only question is: Is it the coach not implimenting a strategy or is it Terry's inability to run a team? That is what should be asked.

Play.

I told you two years ago(when everbody was riding Dre

and screaming for him) that the only reason he averaged

11APG was a fluke and due to Person and Murray's good

shooting that year. Dre didn't come close to 11APG last

year and he only managed 4APG in preseason, and only

has had like 4 in two games this season. I know and have

said that stats doesn't tell the whole truth about a PG,

but Denver's offense really struggled last night. Mello

looks alot like an inconsisant Sprewell to me.

Yup, you heard alot of commentary about point guard needs last nite. They were suggesting that Francis and Mobley dont fit together since both have scorers mentality, especially if you add Yao Ming to the mix. They also suggested that Cleveland needs a point guard. I'm not so sure on that one myself. Paul Silas has gotten Darius Miles under control and now if he can just control Ricky Davis a little then Lebron will be able to control the pace of the game and the others can help him some with ball handling.

JT will never be much at controlling a game but at least he wont look so bad as long as he isnt playing against a few of the hard pressure defenses, especially ones with more than one quick player. I even remember JT having problems with Speedy Claxton a few years back, otherwise he's not so pressure defense susceptible. We just need to add a point forward type player on the court to supplement him a little, like when we had Kukoc, and maybe Diaw will be able to do that.