• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves Trade Tommy Hanson for Jordan Walden

AHF

• Premium Member

Some are speculating this could be a move to clear money to add a LF.

I read one person that said this is a "I will you high risk and high reward player and you take my high risk and high reward player."

Braves get a young reliever they will have control over for the next 4 seasons. This young reliever had a very good rookie year. Making the All-Star team. He had a bit of a sophomore slump. With Roger he can get better control over his stuff. Plus he has a blazing fastball reaching 100 mph. Walden should make a very good setup man for Kimbrel.

I am not sad to see Hanson leave. Could he rediscover his once promising stuff? Sure he can. The guy has been on a rapid decline for several years now. These constant injuries are becoming a major issue. Also need to find a spot in the rotation for Julio.

Anyways here is the funky delivery of our new bullpen pitcher.

Posted Image

• Moderators

We already have 4 starters plus 2 great prospects. Hanson had middling stats last year and has lost velocity on his fastball. I like the guy but when you're a power pitcher losing velocity in your mid 20s that's a scary proposition.

I hope we get a good contact hitter for left field. We have some serious strike out guys in our lineup.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Braves get a young reliever they will have control over for the next 4 seasons.

The Braves had control over Hanson for 3 season so that isn't much of a difference. The main question for me is whether we got enough for Hanson. I get the arguments over our numbers crunch at SP but that is a premium position as far as trade equity. Relievers fluctuate enough in value that they are rarely worth spending top dollar or cashing in valuable prospects to acquire them. Walden is a good example - going from hotshot stud young closer to afterthought in the Angels' pen.

The Braves had control over Hanson for 3 season so that isn't much of a difference. The main question for me is whether we got enough for Hanson. I get the arguments over our numbers crunch at SP but that is a premium position as far as trade equity. Relievers fluctuate enough in value that they are rarely worth spending top dollar or cashing in valuable prospects to acquire them. Walden is a good example - going from hotshot stud young closer to afterthought in the Angels' pen.

I think they got the best deal they could get for Hanson considering he was obviously damaged good last year. He is a power pitcher who lost his power. I don't think his fastball broke 89 mph over his last 10 starts. His velocity has gone down in each of the last 3 years. Hanson puts very little of a huge frame and legs into his pitches. He pitches with all arm torque and that arms seems torqued out......baed on my eye test.

The $4 mill of salary this opens up was just as important as adding a legit 7th or 8th inning setup man. Hopefully that $4 mill will help net a legit starting LF. That LF can be a power guy or a speed / leadoff guy........really doesn't matter. We just need a good LF. No Matt Diaz as your opening day starter.

• Like 1

Sad to see how quickly this dude fell from "Chosen One" status. I remember the reason they let Glavine go was to clear room for him.

His awkward delivery suggest that shoulder problems will be recurrent for him and as others have mentioned, he is now a power pitcher without power.

I remember guys were telling me we didn't need the likes of David price bc of big red....now that's funny

I do wonder if this move allows the Braves to include Venters in a trade. Venters is a very good pitcher and could become a closer on another team. Since closers are hard to find, Venters might be enough to make a trade go through without having to give up Simmons or another top position player in the minors.

I don't think the Braves will consider moving Venters for one major reason. I believe Eric O'flat is a FA after this season. If he has yet another very good season for us. There is no way the Braves will be able to keep him. Some team will overpay for him. Braves have shown they never like giving out big money to relievers except for Closers.