• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone have an issue with the A.I. / Hawks promo ?

coachx

If you don't know what I'm talking about............the Hawks are promoting A.I.'s halftime show Saturday night. I'm fine with that.

BUT

I can't stand the album cover they keep flashing up followed by the Hawks logo. The album cover is A.I. pointing a gun in your face. Now I'm a father and I'm not sure I want to watch games with my child.......raising them to like the same home teams I grew up liking with them promoting an album cover where the artist is pointing a gun in your face. Just not the message I want my kids looking up to.

Am I in the minority on this site about this ?

If you don't know what I'm talking about............the Hawks are promoting A.I.'s halftime show Saturday night. I'm fine with that.

BUT

I can't stand the album cover they keep flashing up followed by the Hawks logo. The album cover is A.I. pointing a gun in your face. Now I'm a father and I'm not sure I want to watch games with my child.......raising them to like the same home teams I grew up liking with them promoting an album cover where the artist is pointing a gun in your face. Just not the message I want my kids looking up to.

Am I in the minority on this site about this ?

AI? You mean T.I. maybe? lol

• Like 4

First off, its T.I. haha. Secondly he is not pointing a gun at anyone's head. It is pointing straight up in the air. And the gun represents all the trouble he has found himself in.. "A metaphorical, creative, conceptual gun that represents all of the things in life that can get a man in trouble in the form of what one can consider a gun, however not a real gun," - TI

As far as gun control goes, if we were to outlaw guns, we would be doing something terribly wrong for all Americans. Look at everthing that is illegal now, drugs for example. People still use drugs as much today as they every have and its illegal. Guns will still be out there for people to take illegally leaving the inncent without guns. This is leaving all the innocent defenseless and not being able to protect their families from crazed psychos. These people will be able to take whatever they want, whenever they want, from whomever they want. Making guns illegal would be completely ridiculous. Just my rant for the day haha.

• Like 2

People are sensitive about guns in Georgia? Man, I've been gone too long or Connecticut has really shaken things up.

I'm not a guy who wants to ban guns.

I just don't like my Hawks flashing their logo up with an album cover a guy holding a gun in my face.

• Like 1

First off, its T.I. haha. Secondly he is not pointing a gun at anyone's head. It is pointing straight up in the air. And the gun represents all the trouble he has found himself in.. "A metaphorical, creative, conceptual gun that represents all of the things in life that can get a man in trouble in the form of what one can consider a gun, however not a real gun," - TI

As far as gun control goes, if we were to outlaw guns, we would be doing something terribly wrong for all Americans. Look at everthing that is illegal now, drugs for example. People still use drugs as much today as they every have and its illegal. Guns will still be out there for people to take illegally leaving the inncent without guns. This is leaving all the innocent defenseless and not being able to protect their families from crazed psychos. These people will be able to take whatever they want, whenever they want, from whomever they want. Making guns illegal would be completely ridiculous. Just my rant for the day haha.

I do not want to ban guns.

Honestly, I'm just too ignorant to get the metaphor.........heck I was to ignorant to remember his name. Could just remember it was 2 letter ending with I.

Just saying.......to the person who doesn't follow T.I., his life, or his music...........seeing that album cover sends a different message. To people who don't know TI's life story all we can go on is 1st impression. Based on those in the know.... appears when you actually listen to his lyrics they sends a much better message. That is good to know.

Country music can do the same thing......though not with guns on album covers. One of my favorite artist is Jamey Johnson. Some of his songs may sound like they are promoting drugs......but when you listen to the lyrics they are simply stating all the troubles drugs have caused him in his life.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

I do not want to out law guns.

Honestly, I'm just too ignorant to get the metaphor.........heck I was to ignorant to remember his name. Could just remember it was 2 letter ending with I.

Just saying.......to the person who doesn't follow T.I., his life, or his music...........seeing that album cover send a different message. It appears when you actually listen to the lyrics it sends a much better message. That is good to know.

Country music can do the same thing......though not with guns on album covers. One of my favorite artist is Jamey Johnson. Some of his songs may sound like their are promoting drugs......but when you listen to the lyrics they are simply stating all the troubles drugs have caused him in his life. "This prison is much colder then the prison I was locked up in just yesterday." 1st prison meaning drug addiction.........2nd prison meaning real prison.

"High cost of livin, aint nothin like the cost of livin high"

Cant beat some Jamey Johnson along with some Eric Church. About the only real country singers out there nowadays.

And i know you werent saying you want to outlaw guns. That was just my rant for the day haha. Thought I would put my 2 cents in on all the talk theres been about this past week.

I dont even listen to TI but I had seen the cover but was not aware the hawks were promoting the cover. I agree its not a great look for younger fans.

Edited by hawkrule152
  • Like 1

I'm not a guy who wants to ban guns.

I just don't like my Hawks flashing their logo up with an album cover a guy holding a gun in my face.

Well I don't know, it looks no worse than any vintage Dirty Harry movie poster left behind for me as a kid so certainly not something to get up in arms (unintentional pun) about. It's even more of a rendering filled with art than an actual depiction of a gun. I'd be with you if this was like Snoop's "DoggyStyle" album cover being shown with the Hawks but it looks closer to an old spaghetti western poster than just a guy brandishing a pistol.

• Like 1

Remember the old" if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns " slogan. Well, if that we're the case, then the police would know who to put away. Guns are either for play or for crimminal activity.; Find something else to play with. It's not a citizens job to fight crime, that's what the police are for. Guns are no good and I'm shocked that the Hawks would use that ad. Bad move, sports should in no way be associated with the violence of guns and the message sent is very negative.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I agree. Glamorizing gun violence is a big problem and young kids are very impressionable. I had to search for the album cover and came across this article addressing it that y'all might be interested in.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1699247/ti-trouble-man-album-cover.jhtml

That's fine as an album cover but i agree the nba should be more careful to limit their association with it. I know TI is a friend of Josh's and a friend of the Hawks.

Here is the cover:

Posted Image

I agree. Glamorizing gun violence is a big problem and young kids are very impressionable. I had to search for the album cover and came across this article addressing it that y'all might be interested in.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1699247/ti-trouble-man-album-cover.jhtml

That's fine as an album cover but i agree the nba should be more careful to limit their association with it. I know TI is a friend of Josh's and a friend of the Hawks.

Here is the cover:

Posted Image

Thanks for the showing the album cover and article. Even the writer of the article seems confused by the message of the cover.

The article contradicts itself. It sounds like its written by a politician who is in front of partiers one night and MADD the next night.

It is a gun but its not a gun ? TI is reclaiming the streets but he is changing his ways ? Its not a real gun b/c its a drawing and not an actual photograph ?

For a guy trying to clean up his image some young people, and old people who don't know TI, will get the wrong 1st impression. Perhaps that is TI's intention. Play both ends........just like a politician would ?

Edited by coachx

The Hawks seem to disagree with your politics position. The Atlanta Hawks are doing this. They are associating this "artist" and his "culture" with the sport. If the context isn't associated with the sport, then why are they doing it. This site is a basketball forum and we are merely adressing the issue. If you have an issue with the context, perhaps you should be raising your concerns with the Hawks.It's totally wrong to segregate reality. If the Hawks weren't associating themselves with guns and violence, I don't think we'd be talking about it.I certainly am not connecting here to talk about politics and I am totally against the Hawks associating themselves (and everyone: you're Atlanta Hawks) with this.Perhaps this thread should be seen as a protest against the Hawks decision.

• Like 1

Great move by the Hawks incoporating current events to boost ticket

sales, T.I. represents a third of the population in Ga "felons" why not invite

them to a game they're free right?? Make em spend some money lol.

Edited by CongoP
  • Like 2

This is the problem with the Hawks. I don't listen to rap music myself and maybe wrong but I am pretty sure TI's fans are the same ones that only show up when the Heat or Lakers come to town. Gangster rap music has no place at a hawks game. I am not saying that folks don't change but come one this has no place at a Hawks game which should be a family affair. I wouldn't take my daughters to anything like this either.

• Like 1

i dont have too big of an issue here, but i do understand where yall are coming from. I just wish the Hawks did this for games against a team like the Raptors or Bobcats. That way we can actually gauge how much of a draw an act like this helps out our attendance.

• Like 1