• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why is Josh continuing to shoot so many 3's?

JackB1

Posted Image

Josh Smith : Atlanta Hawks
17 points, 13 rebounds, five blocks and three steals) and Thunder (Posted Image 17 points, 12 rebounds, three steals and two blocks). Smith and the Hawks still have doubters who believe their strong start to the season won't stand up through the course of the season. We're not doubting.

• Moderators

37% isn't bad, even though that isn't what mid-range shawty promised the fans. As PG said, it just one of the things that us as fans just have to accept about Smith's game. We'll just have the squint when he pulls up and hope that it either swishes or horf is about to get the rebound. He has been good with passing up on those long twos though. I'd rather see him shoot a three than a long two. I think I remember Smith saying when he first came in the league that his favorite current player at the time was KG. Might explain a lot about Smith shooting jump shots all the time...

JS is shooting 37% from 3 and he's not taking more than he did last year or the year before. IMO, 3s are not really the problem. Long 2s and FT% are.

Yea, this may bother a particular poster but if you are shooting 37% from 3 as opposed to 27% from long 2......maybe you should be taking more 3s if you absolutely, positively have to scratch that jumpshot itch.

• Like 2

He wouldn't be taking the 3's if I was coach. He wouldn't be on the team after the deadline if I were GM. Not becouse I think he sucks, he doesn't. But I do think he lacks Bball smarts and trading him is the only feasible way I see the Hawks moving towards contender status in the next years.Someone who thinks we should keep Smith; please present a plausible senario where the Hawks are contenders in the next 2-3 years by keeping him.

After the Miami game last week, in which he went 4 - 5 on threes, he was actually shooting a ridiculous 46% on threes ( 12 - 26 ) through 17 gamesSince that time, we've played 6 games and he's gone 3 - 14 on threes ( 21% ).A three point attempt early in the game, with the shot clock going down, doesn't bother me. It's those threes that he takes when we actually need to score, that bothers me the most. He purposely drifts out there, because no other big on the team does that, with the exception of Anthony Tolliver ( who is shooting 3 - 22 FG on threes ). Amazing that Drew was throwing that dude out there early in the year, and just letting him fire away.I just wish that those sessions with Olajuwon would've paid off more. That he would've really tried to work on his post game and different types of face up moves from 15 feet and in, to make him a more efficient scorer.It's just not going to happen via that jumpshot. It just not.

• Like 1

He wouldn't be taking the 3's if I was coach. He wouldn't be on the team after the deadline if I were GM. Not becouse I think he sucks, he doesn't. But I do think he lacks Bball smarts and trading him is the only feasible way I see the Hawks moving towards contender status in the next years.Someone who thinks we should keep Smith; please present a plausible senario where the Hawks are contenders in the next 2-3 years by keeping him.

Smith is a great all-around player and one of the best defensive players in the league. He's just not a lead guy as a scorer. Get a lead guy as a scorer, and tell Josh to play that all-around role, and we could be a contender.The question now becomes . . . where do we get that lead scorer?Is there a good player on a bad team that we could trade for, that would increase our chances for being a contending team?For example . . . if Eric Gordon in New Orleans comes back from injury and proves that he can get back to the level he was before he got hurt, could the Hawks trade pieces and draft picks for him? And could we trade for him without giving up Al Horford? That would be a hell of a gamble to take, considering Gordon's recent injury history. But that's the type of guy that you may have to team up with Smith and Teague/Horford, in order for the Hawks to get to that next level.Or if the Heat feel that they can't keep their Big 3 together after the 2014 season ( which is a strong possibility ), the Hawks could possibly add Bosh or Wade to this roster ( it wouldn't be Lebron ).And of course, there is the Dwight Howard scenario.All of these are pipe dreams at the moment though, because we do not know what these teams will be thinking about come season's end. As of right now, it looks like we are stuck. But many believe we were stuck with JJ and Marvin too, before last summer.

JackB1 with a negative Josh Smith post/topic? That's new to me. As for Smoove as a hawks fans theirs some things you just have to deal with when it comes to certain players. Josh Shooting threes is one of them.

No . . we do NOT have to accept it, if him taking threes ( especially in critical situations ) is to the detriment to the team. That's like accepting that Michael Turner of the Falcons can't consistently pick up a 1st down on 3rd and 2 situations . . . but you keep giving him the ball in those situations anyway.No sir. If you're not good or efficient at doing something, you do something different.

Someone who thinks we should keep Smith; please present a plausible senario where the Hawks are contenders in the next 2-3 years by keeping him.

Josh just isn't a consistent number 1 or 2 option. He doesn't have post moves or a great driving game and he doesn't shoot well. But he does do enough different things on offense (especially with his passing) that he's usually at least a neutral on offense. On defense, he's proven he's literally one of the best overall defenders in the NBA and one of the few legitimate defensive anchors.

What we need is an efficient go-to guy who can create his own offense added to our core and we will be legitimate contenders, and preferably one who can score in the paint either through drives or post-ups. Pau Gasol's my personal choice (I'm sure I've made that clear). He might be available, his value's not high, we know he's darn good, he scores efficiently in the post, he can pass, he can hit mid-rangers, he even gets to the line. What are our major problems? Post scoring, rebounding, a go-to scorer, and a legit 3 or 5. We add Pau, and Josh and Horford move up to the 3 and 4, and we fix most of our problems. The bad? He's old, hurt, and really expensive. But I'd take the risk to become contenders now.

That's one scenario. Players like Cousins, Aldridge, Bosh, Gordon could become available soon, each with their risks and some come more expensive than others. Add someone who could be our go-to guy, and Teague, Josh, Horf, Lou, and Korver can handle the rest.

• Like 1

JackB1 with a negative Josh Smith post/topic? That's new to me. As for Smoove as a hawks fans theirs some things you just have to deal with when it comes to certain players. Josh Shooting threes is one of them.

OK, so what's another one of these "things that we have to put up with"??? I don't see ANY OTHER PLAYER that is continually allowed to do things that are negative to the overall chances of the Hawks winning games.

JS is shooting 37% from 3 and he's not taking more than he did last year or the year before. IMO, 3s are not really the problem. Long 2s and FT% are.

the problem is a lack of discipline and a selfishness to do what he wants. The entire league knows Josh is MUCH more effective playing down low near the basket, but he refuses to play there. Can you imagine Zaza telling Drew "Sure, I'll hit the boards and rebound...but just when I feel like it". Edited by JackB1

Yea, this may bother a particular poster but if you are shooting 37% from 3 as opposed to 27% from long 2......maybe you should be taking more 3s if you absolutely, positively have to scratch that jumpshot itch.

the issue is that THE TEAM NEEDS josh playing near the basket. We are loaded with shooters on this team...we need low post play.

look...you guys all know that Josh's 3% is going to continue to go down as the season moves along and will settle somewhere near his career mark of 28%.the problem is he will continue talking them at bad times and not realize he isn't at 37% anymore. The bottom line is the guy is lazy and doesn't WANT to stay down low and post up, rebound and play like EVERYONE knows he is capable of. He wants to play like he is still on the high school gym floor and then he cries every year cause he doesn't make the All Star team.

Doesn't seem like hate to me; I think everything he said was accurate. This isn't about Smith. It's about the Hawks and Smith needs to play the game that is going to best advance his team. Unfortunately, his athleticism is at or near the downward side and he's not longer quick, not that he ever was that quick.I would absolutely not give him another contract unless he'd take under $11 million a year and play right. If he played right the rest of the season, i'd be willing to add a million to that number.Rather trade him for a young big and a first though.