• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shooter Josh Smith--An observation

Wurider05

This isn't another bash Josh thread but rather its an observation on his taking long range shots. Have you guys ever looked at his shot mechanics? He has a slow wind up and he has a high arc on his shot. Its my opinion that his jumper is only good for long range shots. He rarely ever shoots a jumper in the paint. he simply can't do it. He will not consistently play in the paint because of his woes at the free throw line and his strong dislike of contact. if we keep him (I hope that we don't) we are going to have to help him more extensively with that shot.

Edited by Wurider05
  • Like 1

I've noticed inconsistency on his release point and what coaches refer as "a stiff wrist" on his hooks, close in jumpers, etc. It's the opposite of rock hands catching. The result is to shoot flat or hard often. This is usually the case of inflexibility in the wrists/fingers due to weight lifting or just genetics.

I've said it before but at least 5 times every season he whips out a turnaround jumper off the glass when working out of the post that I swear he's hitting 85% on. I don't know why he hasn't worked on or utilized that move more often but it even looks sweet when he shoots it. Al has one of the most basic of set shots but even he has added a turnaround, a stepback, a dribble stepback, and quicker release to his arsenal. Josh could definitely master that Timmy turnaround.

For an example of what I'm talking about, here's a video of Kareem that starts with his classic hook. Watch the ball roll up his hand and off the finger tips softly with nice spin, a little arc and a gentle fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMtZGfsWMCE

Now for a Josh video with shot explanations.

Shot 1 is a layup. Although he makes all the shots, mechanics is the question. On this layup...the hand is straight the whole time, the bank is hard for such a simple shot and only angle makes this fall. The problem is the stiff carry to the basket.

Shot 2 is a jumper. Watch the push....although the ball goes in, the push is from the palm and inner finger, it never rolls to the tips for the shooters roll. To compensate, look at how far back he pulls the ball. Instead of bringing it directly over his head and pushing up and out with a roll...he pulls it behind his head to the side and then up. This is a compensation for the stiff wrist, having to generate with the arms instead of the hands.

Now Shot 3 is the best example. On the way up his timing is off and the wrist is totally stiff, so it functions as a lob'd push shot from the side as opposed to the hook. Compare this with the Kareem hook and you'll pity Josh. It may be intentional, lack of coaching or in my opinion the result of weight lifting too young.

The reverse angle on shot 4 will show him push shot again, this time on a layup. He isn't using the fingers to roll the ball on the layup but pushing it at the square instead leading to inconsistencies on the bank.

Shots 5 and 6 are the best formed shots in the video. In both he brings the ball up center of his body, directly to his forehead in rhythm. My guess is because he was having a good night, he wasn't thinking by the time he got to these 2 jumpers.

Forward to shot 8, a put back dunk and watch the reverse angle replay....you'll see the ball rolls up his wrist and is loose on the way in. He puts it down with his palm. It barely touches his fingertips.

Last shot, shot 10. Another hook. The slow mo replay shows him wrist cupping it on the way up and losing it. It also shows the same stiff wrist and instability of the ball out of his hand.

You can also see this often when he tries to dribble through traffic.

Edited by thecampster

Just another example of how Josh plays on raw talent and not with fundamentals. He was never forced to use fundamentals while in HS. By not going to college he didn't have the time with the college coaches to get his shot, footwork, and basic understanding of the game built. It is also another reason to move Josh now while we can get a good return instead of resigning him and watching his game decline quickly once his legs start to give from all the games he's played.

For an example of what I'm talking about, here's a video of Kareem that starts with his classic hook. Watch the ball roll up his hand and off the finger tips softly with nice spin, a little arc and a gentle fall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMtZGfsWMCE Now for a Josh video with shot explanations.

Shot 1 is a layup. Although he makes all the shots, mechanics is the question. On this layup...the hand is straight the whole time, the bank is hard for such a simple shot and only angle makes this fall. The problem is the stiff carry to the basket. Shot 2 is a jumper. Watch the push....although the ball goes in, the push is from the palm and inner finger, it never rolls to the tips for the shooters roll. To compensate, look at how far back he pulls the ball. Instead of bringing it directly over his head and pushing up and out with a roll...he pulls it behind his head to the side and then up. This is a compensation for the stiff wrist, having to generate with the arms instead of the hands. Now Shot 3 is the best example. On the way up his timing is off and the wrist is totally stiff, so it functions as a lob'd push shot from the side as opposed to the hook. Compare this with the Kareem hook and you'll pity Josh. It may be intentional, lack of coaching or in my opinion the result of weight lifting too young. The reverse angle on shot 4 will show him push shot again, this time on a layup. He isn't using the fingers to roll the ball on the layup but pushing it at the square instead leading to inconsistencies on the bank. Shots 5 and 6 are the best formed shots in the video. In both he brings the ball up center of his body, directly to his forehead in rhythm. My guess is because he was having a good night, he wasn't thinking by the time he got to these 2 jumpers. Forward to shot 8, a put back dunk and watch the reverse angle replay....you'll see the ball rolls up his wrist and is loose on the way in. He puts it down with his palm. It barely touches his fingertips. Last shot, shot 10. Another hook. The slow mo replay shows him wrist cupping it on the way up and losing it. It also shows the same stiff wrist and instability of the ball out of his hand. You can also see this often when he tries to dribble through traffic.
If I didn't know any better, I would think you were angling for a job on sports science.

For shooting, small hands wouldn't have a negative effect. Where Josh's small hands affect him is with dunking and possibly the hook.

I disagree. I have small hands and my shot is inconsistent just like his. I shoot better from deep than midrange. Of course my mechanics are different.

• Premium Member

I disagree. I have small hands and my shot is inconsistent just like his. I shoot better from deep than midrange. Of course my mechanics are different.

I have small hands and was a lights out shooter in highschool. The size of my hands never affected me. Maybe both you and Josh just need to tweak your shot until you find one that works consistently. I know that before my coach began tutoring me and showing me correct form, my shot was also wildly inconsistent. Now, even six - seven years removed from my playing days (hardly play at all due to knee issues) I can still knock it down from pretty much anywhere. Once you've got a shot that works down, small hands or no, you've got it down IMO. Problem with Josh is he's never been good at it. At least not good enough at the pro level.

I have small hands and was a lights out shooter in highschool. The size of my hands never affected me. Maybe both you and Josh just need to tweak your shot until you find one that works consistently. I know that before my coach began tutoring me and showing me correct form, my shot was also wildly inconsistent. Now, even six - seven years removed from my playing days (hardly play at all due to knee issues) I can still knock it down from pretty much anywhere. Once you've got a shot that works down, small hands or no, you've got it down IMO. Problem with Josh is he's never been good at it. At least not good enough at the pro level.

I have large hands, flexibility and a muscular frame but I needed to be taught the mechanics of a jumper and even at my elevated size, I can hit a turn around jumper, hook and pull up better than most NBA'ers ---- yet I am and always will be O'Nealesque at the free throw line. Watching me shooting with my feet flat is disturbingly bad.

Hand size on shooting mostly comes into effect when discussing guys with huge hands thus why you usually see bigmen (and Rondo) struggle with consistency and always hear the "like trying to shoot a golfball" cliche. I'm sure Camp would explain it as too many contact points from the digits creating combating centrifugal forces on the ball's rotation.