• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Unlikely To Trade Josh Smith

Jody23

It pains me to say so, but I suspect this article is correct. We will be stuck with Smith through the end of the season. That being the case, I hope we don't give in to his unreasonable expectations for a max contract. He will walk away leaving us with nothing, but at least that's better than being stuck with him on a max contract for the next five years.

Now I only ask because I'm not up on the new rules but can we still do a S&T if we find an interested team and sign him to a longer deal than anyone else could offer?

I remember there being changes but wasn't sure if this was still a possibility...

At this point if he walks... oh well. I hate to say that about such a potentially enigmatic talent, but he's never going to make up for the lack of BBIQ with his athletic ability.

He's definetly not worth Max $ and Ferry knows this... He just unloaded 2 awful contracts and certainly isnt looking to saddle us with another one....

• Premium Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think a sign and trade does him any good. He can only get a five year deal with the team that owns his bird rights. Otherwise, he only gets a four year deal. So, even if the Hawks don't deal him, they still will have an upper hand as imo it's unlikely another team offers him the max under this new CBA.

This is either one of two things. Either Ferry still believes Smoove can get us Dwight or he's just calling a bluff and waiting to see what he can get as the deadline approaches. Anyone that has taken a economics class knows the concept of supply and demand. If there is a high enough demand for a player such as Josh (he does do some good ever with his flaws) then we should get some better offers for him as we get closer to the trade deadline.

• Premium Member

Not arguing for or against this train of thought, but I'm starting to think Josh stays unless someone offers a star player in return. It doesn't seem Ferry is interested in using the money he's created on just "solid" pieces.

If it's not Dwight or CP3 we're not gonna get a superstar player to bring fans in. The best thing for us to do is to make a smart trade this season and stay in the playoff hunt (5-7 seed) and get some draft picks. Then we can probably make some trades and get possibly two lottery picks. That way we can try our luck and get a potential superstar.

4. The truth about J-Smoove
Smith
The Hawks, according to NBA front-office sources, are indeed making calls, gauging the trade value of their players and assessing their options.
However ...
Unless there's a bona fide star player to be had in exchange, indications persist that the Hawks don't want to do anything that cuts into the considerable cap-space haul they're headed for in July. Because they're going to be right alongside the Dallas Mavericks, sources say, in trying to steal Howard from the Lakers.
Atlanta general manager Danny Ferry, by all accounts, wants to avoid any salary that strays beyond this season unless the talent coming back is irresistible. Another factor: Josh Smith's recent declarations that he sees himself as a max player don't make it any easier to find a trade partner ready to take on the enigmatic swingman in fear of not being able to meet Smith's demands in free agency come July.
I've likewise heard from a couple of teams that have pursued Smith in recent weeks that they've cooled on the idea because the 27-year-old is likewise reluctant to commit to an extension as part of the trade. J-Smoove clearly wants to make it all the way to free agency on July 1 after nine seasons with the Hawks.
Chances are he's going to have that opportunity.

1. Danny Ferry believes he has more than a 50% chance of acquiring Dwight Howard
2. He won't trade Smoove unless he gets an undeniable trade offer.
3. Smoove will not commit to an extension and wants to be a Free Agent regardless making #2 less than likely.

• Premium Member

That's what they said about JJ! Ferry did it

He had a different objective with JJ, which was to get rid of his contract and get cap space. With Smith, the objective is different. Unless he gets a star in return, Smith stays as he doesn't want to give up cap space for nothing.

• Moderators

It's funny that all this chaos on the boards recently about 'Dwight not wanting to come to Atlanta', 'Josh meeting up with Ferry', and all of the "Trade Idea" threads popping up with Josh's name in the title all stems from the 30-second segment that Chris Broussard did during the Knicks game. Smith did meet up with Ferry, but no reports of what was said in that meeting was released. No trade demands have been put out by Smith (which he made public in seasons past) and he hasn't said definitively of what his plans are this offseason. WoJo or any of the top "insiders" hasn't reported anything about possible trades or said anything about Dwight's intentions. No tweets or reports on Danny doing anything outside of homework. No shopping of players or putting guys on the block. Both Josh and Dwight very well could have said or be thinking the exact opposite about their plans with Atlanta. And with Josh's "max guy" statements, as a few have said, is he suppose to say he is a B-level talent and that he doesn't deserve to be paid? Dwight and Josh could very well end up in a Hawks uniform until they retire in another 10 years. Posted Image

I hate to admit it, but ESPN just hook-line-sinkered every one of us (myself included)... We are either naive and gullible to believe ESPN over WoJo or are so sick of Josh's play that we bought into:

Posted Image

lmao Posted Image

• Like 1

you know ia beginning to get sick about whom we should trade josh smith for. even some of my lame picks i thought would work like kris kaman ort gortat. until i saw kaman lumbering down the court, shure you can get 16 pts. a niht out off him when you slow the game down but you will loose defensive intensity & with gortat i see just a nice decent body that eats up space. ( i saw al take a nice spin move off his shoulder & dunk on him) he never has an impact on the game.

i am just leaning toward getting some picks in the lottery some how b/c we are going to need a koriirving or john walll type, some player that says on any given night you cant stop me, b/c the clevlands & thewashigtons of the league will catch us sooner or later. if we could just add that to horford or josh i think we would be in good shape.

So it looks like josh is basically going to hold us hostage here and ruin our chances of getting anything in return, aside from cap space. Hell, I'd rather have cap space than #5 though at this point.

According to marc stein:

4. The truth about J-Smooveh

The Hawks, according to NBA front-office sources, are indeed making calls, gauging the trade value of their players and assessing their options.

However ...

Unless there's a bona fide star player to be had in exchange, indications persist that the Hawks don't want to do anything that cuts into the considerable cap-space haul they're headed for in July. Because they're going to be right alongside the Dallas Mavericks, sources say, in trying to steal Howard from the Lakers.

Atlanta general manager Danny Ferry, by all accounts, wants to avoid any salary that strays beyond this season unless the talent coming back is irresistible. Another factor: Josh Smith's recent declarations that he sees himself as a max player don't make it any easier to find a trade partner ready to take on the enigmatic swingman in fear of not being able to meet Smith's demands in free agency come July.

I've likewise heard from a couple of teams that have pursued Smith in recent weeks that they've cooled on the idea because the 27-year-old is likewise reluctant to commit to an extension as part of the trade. J-Smoove clearly wants to make it all the way to free agency on July 1 after nine seasons with the Hawks.

Chances are he's going to have that opportunity.

I can't believe anyone still wants this guy around.

Edited by ag82
  • Like 1

I've likewise heard from a couple of teams that have pursued Smith in recent weeks that they've cooled on the idea because the 27-year-old is likewise reluctant to commit to an extension as part of the trade. J-Smoove clearly wants to make it all the way to free agency on July 1 after nine seasons with the Hawks. ESPN.com

What I have said to all on this board putting up "trade Josh ideas."

Josh controls everything. If he tells a team he will not resign they're not going to trade for him.