• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CBS Sports : All options still on table for Hawks... Including re-signing Smoove to a max

ATLscrubLove

How can a guy who never even made an allstar game possible receive a max contract? Some explain to me how the hell is that even possible. A guy who doesn't even average 20 ppg a game? I call bs on this "report". Every team that is rumored to be interested in him want him as the 3 or 4th option. No one wants him to build around him. He is a piece not a max player.

• Like 3

You have to overpay to keep your own players. Especially ones that are solid to very good. See Joe Johnson as example number one. I would be in favor to keeping Josh around for a few more years. I've made that very evident recently. However if the deal is remotely close to a max deal, than I would be disappointed to see him walk away.

What is everyone's fascination with a "max" contract? Did you know that the "max" contract is not necessarily the same for every player? AND that it may also be different for teams (regardless of if they have cap space)? I found it really funny that LeBron came out the other day and said some asinine comment to the effect of "you know I haven't even had a max contract" because he was lawyer right but not actually right. He had a "max" deal with the Cavs but opted out of it so technically he did not fully get a "max" deal since the contract was terminated early.

That aside, contracts are fairly ignorant to what someone deserves when you go simply off of statistics. A contract will get its value based upon the market, which is to say the alternative options that a team can spend its money on is very important.

How can a guy who never even made an allstar game possible receive a max contract? Some explain to me how the hell is that even possible. A guy who doesn't even average 20 ppg a game? I call bs on this "report". Every team that is rumored to be interested in him want him as the 3 or 4th option. No one wants him to build around him. He is a piece not a max player.

Brook Lopez...And many other NBA players in the past.I don't think they was signed Josh to a max contract. Josh will take less for the right reason

Brook Lopez... And many other NBA players in the past. I don't think they was signed Josh to a max contract. Josh will take less for the right reason

a brook lopez max is 5/60 mil also he is a young 7 foot post big man which are valued really high. a smoove max is 5/94

btw my reponse to the thread.

As for Smith and where he winds up, it remains to be seen. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Smith's representatives have made calls to other teams and have indicated he's not likely to re-sign in Atlanta. USA Today Sports

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/02/12/a-to-z/1913745/

Smoove will become a superstar for any other team. Just because that's our kind of luck. We either get has been stars like T-Mac or we have guys that we get early in their career that end up being stars or very good role players. We just have bad luck with stuff like that.

I think we all need to remember that the "max" talk for Smoove is just him and his agent posturing for the most lucrative deal possible. There is no way in heck that Josh is getting a max deal making 20 million a year from anyone, except maybe the crazy Russian nets owner who seems willing to throw money at anything.

• Like 1

can we sign him to a 4 year 70 mil that sounds about right 94 is just to much

The most I would offer is 4 years $56 mill and pray he has more trade value with that deal at next years trade deadline then he does now......basically do what Denver did with NeNe.Even $14 mill per year is too much but that is the max I would go. Then I let him go and see if that is enough to sign Jefferson........if I strike out there then I throw a 4 year $36 mill deal at JJ Hickson and see if Portland matches. Edited by coachx

The most I would offer is 4 years $56 mill and pray he has more trade value with that deal at next years trade deadline then he does now......basically do what Denver did with NeNe.Even $14 mill per year is too much but that is the max I would go. Then I let him go and see if that is enough to sign Jefferson........if I strike out there then I throw a 4 year $36 mill deal at JJ Hickson and see if Portland matches.

i could definately agree with that.