• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So the hawks went out and got....

Diesel

• Premium Member

This

Come on Brotha!!! Us with capspace is an invitation for guys like Garrett Siler and ham an eggers like Tracy McGrady to come in and ask for 4 year 40 Million dollar deals.

I'm sure Kevin Willis and Jerry Stackhouse have their PX90 workouts going...

Kevin: Jerry, did you hear anything about the Josh Smith trade?

Jerry: Not yet. but it's 4:14.

Kevin: 4:14... Check NBA.COM.

Jerry: Alrighty.... (click, click, click). Front page man, he stayed.

Kevin: Great!!!! I'm going to get my PX90 workout tape out. By June, I will be stunning.

Jerry: Me too!!! I need one more good payday!!

Kevin: I love Capspace in small markets. It's like Christmas to the washed up vet.

Jerry: Should we call Antwain?

Kevin: Yeah, he could use the money!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Building a championship quality club is a SPRINT. The one with the most stars win.

Look at what Boston did. They went out and got the big three and they won.

Look at what Miami did. They went out and got the big three and they won.

Look at what the Lakers did. They traded for Shaq and Kobe and started a Dynasty.

We're not tanking bad enough to be OKC or San Antonio.

We're not bringing in talent like these other teams.

So what are we doing? We're being mediocre and with our mediocrity we're seeing the same things we always see... NO championships.. and we fool ourselves into believe that other teams are not just doing the damn thing right in front of our faces.

So I guess what Detroit, San Antonio, and Dallas has done is irrelevant than? That's the boat the Hawks are in. We are not Miami where we can sell location, LA where we can sell fame, or Boston where we can sell heritage. We are the Atlanta Hawks based in the middle of hot ass Georgia. No beaches, no walk of fame, no faithful diehards here. The only way this team is going to get a championship is through making great decisions in the FO, being great in the draft, and keep making moves to move forward (not backward). We are not an attractive destination to be as of yet. Ferry's biggest task is to make this organization as attractive as possible. Players only want to win and get paid. In the past, we were mediocre in the win column with cheap owners. The mindset with the Hawks FO use to be just win games, sell tickets, and get to the playoffs. Now, the tides are changing. Levenson is fully committed to building a contender. Ferry is capable of making things happen and showed today he doesn't let his emotions guide his actions. They say success starts from the top down and it looks to me that the Hawks FO has started the culture change. Now we just need Doc Rivers or JVG to coach this team to make the players, fans, and media buy into what DF and Levenson is wanting to accomplish. It's a marathon for the Hawks, not a sprint.

• Like 1

Ferry's first year on the job and everyone knows the outcome of the off season. LOL. Let's see how it plays out. Today everybody wants instant gratification. Please. That's the problem with today's society.

All I hear from the negative posters is we won't sign this guy or overpay for that guy or should have got another protected lottery pick in a crap draft. I don't think Ferry is dumb. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and at least see what happens this year and the following year. Geez that at least gives him two years. I think that is reasonable.

He has had to clean up the mess from previous regimes, along with a different style of ownership (now that they are giving him the reigns and staying out of his business). Clear cap room since the team was stuck at being a 1st or 2nd round playoff out. Get extra draft picks to get more affordable players with possible upside. I think he is off to a good start. Now people want him to go into the luxury tax for S@!# trades, gimme a break.

I love how everyone accepts the fact that no free agents want to come here because it hasn't happen in the past. I think Deke came here he was significant. So it hasn't happen recently so it will never happen. Great logic. That's like saying in college sports that this team hasn't beaten this team on the road for 20 years. Who cares roster's change, what happen 10 to 20 years ago doesn't matter today.

I'm sure Ferry has something planned. I'm sure he knows it has been hard in recent years to get guys here, so I'm sure he is combatting that idea. He may get the guys you want he may not. But I do like the environment he is creating. Owners have given him more freedom and he is planning his work and working his plan. He is changing the culture, you can't do that overnight.

You may be pissed about today. However, I like to look at it as a step in the process. A process that is going in the right direction. Sorry we can't sign 5 all stars tomorrow or get meaningless players that take away our flexibility in a trade or other signings. I'm sure that is what some would want. We are trying to build a team and one that contends for titles.

• Like 3

• Moderators

This guy Capspace really looks like an awesome addition. What are his stats again? Exactly.

Getting this much space will only force the Hawks to sign lesser players or overpay for players like Osh. There's a minimum in salary required by the CBA to be spent. No good players will want to come and join this failure of a team.

Ever fan is in win-now mode... Who cares about the future and putting together a quality team... SMH

A marathon, yes?... I think it's more like this:

Posted Image

Yes. Great decisions. Like keeping Josh Smith so he can walk and the end of his contract.

DF SUCKS. Hawks might never win a championship.

And that is what the road to a championship looks like... It's never a straight line. Even Miami's bought team hit a road block on their way to a title. Kobe went 6 years before he got number 4. Everybody in the league knows that you do not get full value for your assets and I commend DF for choosing flexibility over cap space eating scrubs. I never understood the concept of that we had to get something for Josh. I mean seriously, would you feel so much better about the Hawks situation with Udoh and Mbah a Moute on the roster and a conditional draft pick to a lame duck draft... You don't know what will happen this offseason. I can guarantee you one thing though, we will be major players.

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 1

Ever fan is in win-now mode... Who cares about the future and putting together a quality team... SMH

And that is what the road to a championship looks like... It's never a straight line. Even Miami's bought team hit a road block on their way to a title. Kobe went 6 years before he got number 4. Everybody in the league knows that you do not get full value for your assets and I commend DF for choosing flexibility over cap space eating scrubs. I never understood the concept of that we had to get something for Josh. I mean seriously, would you feel so much better about the Hawks situation with Udoh and Mbah a Moute on the roster and a conditional draft pick to a lame duck draft... You don't know what will happen this offseason. I can guarantee you one thing though, we will be major players.

I have to agree here. At least we have the opportunity to be players. I'm good with that since I am tired of settling for average. Some ppl on here are turning on Ferry before the man has even had a chance to do his thing. Get outta here with that shit. Not saying he deserves all the praises in the world but at least we have a damn chance to do SOMETHING. Which is better than the nothing we have become accustomed to. They would be the same ones bitching if Ferry took the crappy deals we were being offered for Josh. It's not his fault Josh has no value around the league.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

But... but... I thought we were "major players" in this trade deadline... that we had the basketball god every team dreams of acquiring... That we would land this and that great names AND 2 firsts...

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

BS.

Edited by BrazilianHawk

• Premium Member

This is not about win now... This is about a return on an investment.

Josh is an investment that we will probably get nothing for.

The investment in Josh gathered more value when we traded away Joe and Marvin for ending contracts.

It meant that either:

1. Josh was going to bring us something good in trade.

2. Josh was going to recruit D-12 and bring him home.

3. Josh was going to be allstar calibre and make this thing true addition by subtraction.

Well so far, 1 and 3 are not so.

Therefore, my standment that if we don't get CP3 or D-12 or a championship else we fail.. is still true based on these premises. IF we were going to tank this season.. then we should have tanked it all the way and traded Josh too. Instead we kept a player on the last year of his contract beyond the trade deadline. If he walks and we get nothing, that's a fail that could have been avoided.

You can give us the patience speech all day and night. This isn't about patience. HEll, I have been patient since 1976. This is about recognizing that you have to make the right decision at the right time in order to stay relevant.

Winning a championship is not a marathon. Winning a championship is about taking advantage of what's in front of you... Here's the proof:

Seventeen franchises have won NBA titles: Boston Celtics (17), Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers (16), Chicago Bulls (6), San Antonio Spurs (4), Philadelphia/Golden State Warriors (3), Detroit Pistons (3), Syracuse Nationals/Philadelphia 76ers (3), New York Knicks (2), Houston Rockets (2), Miami Heat (1), Milwaukee Bucks (1), Portland Trail Blazers (1), St. Louis/Atlanta Hawks (1), Seattle SuperSonics/Oklahoma City Thunder (1), Rochester Royals/Sacramento Kings (1), Washington Bullets/Wizards (1), and Baltimore Bullets* (1).

Look at that. 35 between the Lakers and Celtics. Only a few teams have drafted their way to the championship in modern times... Bulls and Spurs. And both had high lottery picks. The last few editions of the Lakers and Celtics have shown that the championship can be won through the right trades. A GM needs guts and a plan.

• Premium Member

you cant get a return in a investment if the stock aint worth shit.

Who knows the true worth of the stock? Do you really know all the deals that were turned down? Was Gortat offered? We heard that Brooks, Humphries, and a first were offered. We heard that the bad deal that Milwaukee sent was offered. However, even with the worst of the deals that was rumored, if there was a first round pick offered with it, it's 100 times better than having nothing if Josh walks.

Obviously, you missed the hurt of Danny Manning walking off and the Hawks having nothing to show for the investment that they made in him. Let me tell you, it took us 10 years to get over that walk off.

Edited by Diesel
  • Like 1

Ferry's first year on the job and everyone knows the outcome of the off season. LOL. Let's see how it plays out. Today everybody wants instant gratification. Please. That's the problem with today's society. All I hear from the negative posters is we won't sign this guy or overpay for that guy or should have got another protected lottery pick in a crap draft. I don't think Ferry is dumb. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and at least see what happens this year and the following year. Geez that at least gives him two years. I think that is reasonable. He has had to clean up the mess from previous regimes, along with a different style of ownership (now that they are giving him the reigns and staying out of his business). Clear cap room since the team was stuck at being a 1st or 2nd round playoff out. Get extra draft picks to get more affordable players with possible upside. I think he is off to a good start. Now people want him to go into the luxury tax for S@!# trades, gimme a break. I love how everyone accepts the fact that no free agents want to come here because it hasn't happen in the past. I think Deke came here he was significant. So it hasn't happen recently so it will never happen. Great logic. That's like saying in college sports that this team hasn't beaten this team on the road for 20 years. Who cares roster's change, what happen 10 to 20 years ago doesn't matter today. I'm sure Ferry has something planned. I'm sure he knows it has been hard in recent years to get guys here, so I'm sure he is combatting that idea. He may get the guys you want he may not. But I do like the environment he is creating. Owners have given him more freedom and he is planning his work and working his plan. He is changing the culture, you can't do that overnight. You may be pissed about today. However, I like to look at it as a step in the process. A process that is going in the right direction. Sorry we can't sign 5 all stars tomorrow or get meaningless players that take away our flexibility in a trade or other signings. I'm sure that is what some would want. We are trying to build a team and one that contends for titles.

Of course Deke didn't care if it was hot as hell with no beaches, it probably felt like home to him! I joke but seriously that was the most shocking FA signing of my lifetime as a Hawks fan and I hope that won't always be the case but I'm afraid it will.