• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ok so since Smith is still here....Should he recieve a max contract if he dominates in the playoffs?

JTB

If Josh DOMINATES the playoffs which I know is a long shot....Will that make up for ALL his flaws and should he then get the max contract he's asking for?

and when I say dominate the playoffs I mean he wins games for this hawks team....he puts this hawks team on his back game after game or most games....do he then deserve the max contract he's asking for?

Personally I would give him close to that 95 million if he dominates in the playoffs for the hawks. I mean I know he a bonehead but if he shows out I cant see Ferry not resigning him to what he wants.

Thoughts?

Is this a serious question? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In no way should he recieve a max unless he brings us a championship in the playoffs.. And just so everyone knows, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH ON THAT!!!!

• Premium Member

Yes, I would be all for it IF he were to lead us to the Conference Finals. If not leading us that far, it would take a series of good games, not just one. Remember when the Hawks gave Chris Crawford a big contract for one outstanding game in the playoffs vs the Knicks in a series which our team LOST? still smhPosted Image

• Like 1

I'm going with everyone else by saying that If Josh takes us to the ECF then he should get the max. If not then he doesn't deserve that type of deal. I don't think Josh works on his game enough to deserve that. He could be great if he worked. He hasn't truly worked on his jumpshot. His form is horrible. He hasn't put in enough work on free throws. Finally he should go ahead and pay that 50,000 to go work with Hakeem. If Josh truly worked on his post game he would average on 20 ppg easily.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.In this scenario, we are able to sell high on Josh (which would be miraculous considering what we all saw during the trading deadline). The odds of Josh peaking in that moment are much higher than that of him suddenly becoming a mature and consistent player throughout an 82 game season.Somebody would do a massive S&T deal, and Danny Ferry would clean their clocks.

You wanna know the biggest hole in this plan?

Josh isn't gonna dominate in the playoffs. He can't, that's not his game. Not a knock on the guy as I believe Josh can be that defensive anchor on a championship team, but he is not leading us past the 2nd round.

• Premium Member

He's going to get 5 years and about 80 million. Less per year than he could get going elsewhere but 6+ million more than the total of that contract.

Perhaps, but that's not a good deal under this new CBA for whatever team gives it to him.Wait a minute, we have his bird rights so no, he's not going to get that deal. If he re-signs, it should be closer to Horford's deal. Edited by Jody23

He's going to get 5 years and about 80 million. Less per year than he could get going elsewhere but 6+ million more than the total of that contract.

I would bet a donation to hawksquawk that Danny Feery does not sign him for a contract averaging $16 mill per year.......5 years $80 mill.
  • Like 1

Ah but in sign and trade he could get that and he will. In our case you really have to look at where we have salary tied up right now who may not be here in the new Hawks.

Harris 8.5 mil

Pachulia 5.2 mil

Petro 3.5 mil

Jones 2.9 mil

Korver 5 mil

Tolliver 1 mil

When you add that up, it's 26.1 million. the raise for Josh is only 2.8 million more average. They have the money.

Of the above listed players only Korver is a must retain next year, especially if we get a center in F/A to bump Al and Josh down.

Assume you give Josh 2.8 more (only .8 more next year) and assume you give Korver 5 million to return (remembering you have Lou Williams in your back pocket). You still have almost 20 million to sign a top level F/A, 2 picks coming and Tyler, Jenkins, Scott developing. Josh will get his money and I'm saying 70% sure its going to be from us.

• Premium Member

Ah but in sign and trade he could get that and he will. In our case you really have to look at where we have salary tied up right now who may not be here in the new Hawks. Harris 8.5 milPachulia 5.2 milPetro 3.5 milJones 2.9 milKorver 5 milTolliver 1 mil When you add that up, it's 26.1 million. the raise for Josh is only 2.8 million more average. They have the money.Of the above listed players only Korver is a must retain next year, especially if we get a center in F/A to bump Al and Josh down. Assume you give Josh 2.8 more (only .8 more next year) and assume you give Korver 5 million to return (remembering you have Lou Williams in your back pocket). You still have almost 20 million to sign a top level F/A, 2 picks coming and Tyler, Jenkins, Scott developing. Josh will get his money and I'm saying 70% sure its going to be from us.

He won't get a five year deal in a sign and trade because the new CBA prohibits it. And it doesn't matter how much cap space we'll have, Ferry is looking at this thing longterm. No way he gives Josh 80 million. Josh's game doesn't justify that and Ferry knows it. He won't overpay to keep Josh here.
  • Like 1

Josh Smith can not dominate by scoring. Hes not a scorer. He can and will get 15-17 on a championship team but that's about it.Hes a damn good defender and passer. He would be perfect next to Harden, Irving. Rpse or Durant.

Well when you look at who makes the max I understand why he wants that much because he is in that group but to be honest unless Dwight Howard comes here WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT i think Josh doesn't resign here.

Edited by PureGreatness

• Premium Member

Ferry sent a message to Josh with all the trade rumors. The message was...no one is bigger or more important than the team. If you want to be here, get with the program. If not, bye. Ferry doesn't care about him being from Atlanta. It's about building a REAL winner. Josh isn't "The Man" here anymore folks. Danny Ferry is.

• Like 1

Bottom line is we need to keep Josh Smith. We aren't going to replace his production with free agency, and he's a resource that would be foolish to lose for nothing. Absolute worst case, we do him Joe Johnson style...play Josh two-three more years, them flip him for something else. He'll be tradeable still, the "he needs a fresh start" mantra will kick up again, and we'll trade him. Plus don't forget even keeping Josh and Teague we should be able to add at least one all-star in the offseason (Igloudala is who I'm hoping for, he could opt out to get a multi-year deal), plus we'll have two picks in the teens, AND we get Lou Williams back. Hordford, Korver, Jenkins on the ascent...this is a good base.

I dont want him back period.

I doubt ferry will resign him too if he is serious about following the spurs model and building a new culture which means getting rid of all the knuckleheads, and getting high character guys who know their role and a coach who holds everyone accountable.

smoove will never be a main piece to a championship team until he sacrifices all the dumb shit he does for the good of the team. Which he never has in his career. Some guys no matter how talented arent winners.