Falcons Get Their New Stadium

Terms of the deal also include an equal opportunity plan that will require businesses owned by women and minorities in the design and construction of the new stadium.

Equal ?

If it was equal no plan would be needed to give certain people the upperhand over another. Just give the contract to the best design company and to the best construction company.

Which minority ? Minority for the city of Atlanta or minority for the USA ? I thought woman were the majority ?

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Atlanta demolishes something old to build something new which people will say is sooo much better than that old thing and then 20 years later realize it sucks and is tacky....... is the story line of this city for my whole 40+ year life. No wonder its hard to be an Atlanta fan. You know Philips is really not up the standards of a modern arena........................on and on and on and on and on.

• Moderators

Yeah, I didn't understand that part of the contract... If we are all equals, then race shouldn't matter. Qualification should and if that ends up meaning an all White/Black/Hispanic/Asian/Male/Female/whatever design team, then so be it... These special handouts to minorities kill me.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 1

This is a huge win for the City, state, Falcons, and fans. The press conference addressed alot of the complaints from people against the stadium, and I'm glad they got this done. Now it's up to the City Council, GWCC, and Invest Atlanta.

Seriously thrilled for this. I expect it'll lead to more restaurants around Philips too, especially once the Multimodal Passenger Terminal is built literally across the street:

Posted Image

• Like 1

This is a huge win for the City, state, Falcons, and fans. The press conference addressed alot of the complaints from people against the stadium, and I'm glad they got this done. Now it's up to the City Council, GWCC, and Invest Atlanta.

Seriously thrilled for this. I expect it'll lead to more restaurants around Philips too, especially once the Multimodal Passenger Terminal is built literally across the street:

Posted Image

Yep it is amazing how backwards the south thinks. Then again this is where people will spend 3k to keep a car that is worth $850 dollars on the road. The Dome is bottomless pit. You would spend more than the cost of a new stadium on just the upkeep of the Dome. This without the extra that Blank is going to put in.

• Like 1

Yep it is amazing how backwards the south thinks. Then again this is where people will spend 3k to keep a car that is worth $850 dollars on the road. The Dome is bottomless pit. You would spend more than the cost of a new stadium on just the upkeep of the Dome. This without the extra that Blank is going to put in.

Most people bitching about this either 1) never come downtown, or 2) seriously don't understand how business works. The fact that this city ever hosted the Olympics with such short-sighted people against the new stadium blows me away. I'm glad the new stadium and the Atlanta Streetcar are showing serious progress. It's an exciting time for people that actually give a shit about the City of Trees.

Equal ? If it was equal no plan would be needed to give certain people the upperhand over another. Just give the contract to the best design company and to the best construction company. Which minority ? Minority for the city of Atlanta or minority for the USA ? I thought woman were the majority ?

That whole part just smells like the airport concession fiasco all over again.
  • Like 1

It's part of Georgia law that minority owned construction get a shot over other ones with government projects. I don't really see the issue it's not like its private money or anything. If it hurts your business maybe your strategy shouldn't be to just focus on government contracts

• Like 1

• Moderators

What is this based on? Just because the Falcons say the dome needs $300 million in improvements doesn't make it true. And the thought that Atlantan's who don't want to privately fund a money making scheme for the richest guy in town, is short sighted is just BS. The total lack of details on this is astounding. So the public, as one of the biggest investors in this, gets how much money back from our investment? Where is that defined in this stadium deal? I guarantee the other investors know exactly how they will get re paid. $200 million for 8 games a year. Sounds like a good investment. And lets be real. This isn't an investment by the public. Its a gift.

Did you notice that in this year-long campaign there was almost no public comment from the sole owner and benefactor of this new stadium. The city doesn't know how to negotiate and got steam rolled in this deal. Think about it. How far off the Falcons original pipe dream is the deal? They are kicking in about 10% more than their original offer.

Its taken 10 years to build a 2 mile jogging trail that is supposed to be transit, the streetcar is behind schedule and over budget and they just laid the first track last week. Marta bus service is at it's lowest point in 40 years, the rail service hasn't been expanded in over 20 years. The multimodal transit station was on the drawing board when i was a kid.

What is this based on? Just because the Falcons say the dome needs $300 million in improvements doesn't make it true. And the thought that Atlantan's who don't want to privately fund a money making scheme for the richest guy in town, is short sighted is just BS. The total lack of details on this is astounding. So the public, as one of the biggest investors in this, gets how much money back from our investment? Where is that defined in this stadium deal? I guarantee the other investors know exactly how they will get re paid. $200 million for 8 games a year. Sounds like a good investment. And lets be real. This isn't an investment by the public. Its a gift.

Did you notice that in this year-long campaign there was almost no public comment from the sole owner and benefactor of this new stadium. The city doesn't know how to negotiate and got steam rolled in this deal. Think about it. How far off the Falcons original pipe dream is the deal? They are kicking in about 10% more than their original offer.

Its taken 10 years to build a 2 mile jogging trail that is supposed to be transit, the streetcar is behind schedule and over budget and they just laid the first track last week. Marta bus service is at it's lowest point in 40 years, the rail service hasn't been expanded in over 20 years. The multimodal transit station was on the drawing board when i was a kid.

There were multiple public comment sessions, in which people from Vine City, English Avenue, and Castleberry Hill aired their complaints about the new stadium, and Arthur Blank answered questions in person. I can't believe you never heard about this. If you want details, here's the press conference. The mayor addresses many of the complaints about the stadium deal, including that the money should be used on schools or roads (hint: it's illegal, and the Legislature has zero interest in changing the law). But, see for yourself:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/whats-next-in-falcons-stadium-saga/nWkZ5/

Posted Image

If you liked that, here's another view of what could happen outside Philips in the next 5 years:

Posted Image

• Moderators

There were multiple public comment sessions, in which people from Vine City, English Avenue, and Castleberry Hill aired their complaints about the new stadium, and Arthur Blank answered questions in person. I can't believe you never heard about this. If you want details, here's the press conference. The mayor addresses many of the complaints about the stadium deal, including that the money should be used on schools or roads (hint: it's illegal, and the Legislature has zero interest in changing the law). But, see for yourself:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/whats-next-in-falcons-stadium-saga/nWkZ5/

Not sure why you bolded this, that was my point: it can't be used for schools and roads, so people saying it should are off-base. As far as the MMPT, it's been on the drawing board for years, but it hasn't been seriously pursued until recently, partly due to the economic downturn. The streetcar is behind schedule because there was a more complicated network of utility lines and even rail from the original streetcar found, which had to be removed or relocated. I'm proud that both projects moved forward this week, especially since the streetcar opens next year, and the MMPT will clear the design and environment stages at the end of next year. As far as the Beltline, it took longer because so many people own the land, and T-SPLOST was rejected (had T-SPLOST passed, there would have been light rail along that trail within 18 months: that's by the end of 2014 Instead, it'll take decades, unless another funding source is found, and a public-private partnership is already in the works.) I went on a Beltline tour last month, and it's truly amazing. If one trail connecting 20+ neighborhoods doesn't excite you, along with all the other projects underway, I wonder what will.

Big things are happening in this city. Push, pull, or get out of the way.

• Moderators

Not sure why you bolded this, that was my point: it can't be used for schools and roads, so people saying it should are off-base. As far as the MMPT, it's been on the drawing board for years, but it hasn't been seriously pursued until recently, partly due to the economic downturn. The streetcar is behind schedule because there was a more complicated network of utility lines and even rail from the original streetcar found, which had to be removed or relocated. I'm proud that both projects moved forward this week, especially since the streetcar opens next year, and the MMPT will clear the design and environment stages at the end of next year. As far as the Beltline, it took longer because so many people own the land, and T-SPLOST was rejected (had T-SPLOST passed, there would have been light rail along that trail within 18 months: that's by the end of 2014 Instead, it'll take decades, unless another funding source is found, and a public-private partnership is already in the works.) I went on a Beltline tour last month, and it's truly amazing. If one trail connecting 20+ neighborhoods doesn't excite you, along with all the other projects underway, I wonder what will.

Big things are happening in this city. Push, pull, or get out of the way.

No matter how you slice it its a public giveaway of money to a corporation. I understand some people are good with that because they think it will be good for the city. Maybe it will but i think its unnecessary.

Its not that I'm not excited about any of these changes. I'm on the beltline almost every week since it opened. But these projects are struggling the way many in Atlanta have because of funding problems and mis management. I attended a lot of planning meetings for the beltline in its infancy and while i'm still excited the project is much different. The concept was to connect the city with transit and trails but we won't see any transit on the beltline for at least another 10-15 years, according to their own plan, and whether it comes at all is suspect. In the meantime other cities have managed to design, build and complete light rail in the same time period.

I just find it frustrating that a deal like this can get such swift priority and large amounts of money when so many others that would actually impact the lives of Atlantans much more than a new football stadium languish for years.

No matter how you slice it its a public giveaway of money to a corporation. I understand some people are good with that because they think it will be good for the city. Maybe it will but i think its unnecessary.

Its not that I'm not excited about any of these changes. I'm on the beltline almost every week since it opened. But these projects are struggling the way many in Atlanta have because of funding problems and mis management. I attended a lot of planning meetings for the beltline in its infancy and while i'm still excited the project is much different. The concept was to connect the city with transit and trails but we won't see any transit on the beltline for at least another 10-15 years, according to their own plan, and whether it comes at all is suspect. In the meantime other cities have managed to design, build and complete light rail in the same time period.

I just find it frustrating that a deal like this can get such swift priority and large amounts of money when so many others that would actually impact the lives of Atlantans much more than a new football stadium languish for years.

It got swift priority because there was a private investor with $800 million. If the Beltline had that, it'd be done already. And according to the Beltline's own plan, there would have been transit along the trail in 18 months, had T-SPLOST passed. Check the T-SPLOST plan if you don't believe that. As far as a "giveaway" with the stadium, how much are hundreds of thousands of tourism and construction jobs worth to you? It's called an investment, just like when the city or state gives tax incentives to companies so they'll move here: it's not a giveaway if you're getting something in return. What about that is so complicated? Posted Image

• Like 1

• Moderators

Any economic benefits are all just talk. This article i thought was pretty balanced on it:

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/7/4076234/new-falcons-stadium-deal-atlanta

As far as the beltline, the tsplost included running the streetcar onto part of the beltline which would be awesome. That was a good idea which was added recently. The original design and implementation of the beltline transit concept I'm afraid will be too far down the road for me to enjoy. We'll see. Maybe i'm an idealist but I feel like the city and state should be making these types of projects happen at a faster pace.

It's part of Georgia law that minority owned construction get a shot over other ones with government projects. I don't really see the issue it's not like its private money or anything. If it hurts your business maybe your strategy shouldn't be to just focus on government contracts

Only 20% of the project is funded by government money.

680 AM is reporting the construction part of the job only define minorities as African Americans...........No Dominican Americans, Asians Americans, Jamaican Americans, Latino Americans, etc.

On the other hand the design project is open to all minorties.

In Atlanta 33% of businesses are owned by whites and 31% are owned by Blacks. There is no disparity issue in Atlanta based on race and owning a business.

Jobs should be awarded to the best company.......not to the company with an owner who's skin happens to be a certain color.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1