• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rough day for Jarvis Jones!

Admin

Got this off of another forum...

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones completed an official forty time of 4.92 seconds during the school's pro day. Some will point to this time as a reason for Jones "falling", but we believe this speed shows up on tape. Jones wins with snap anticipation and a great motor to work around the edge, but we question if he might be limited to that role early in his career due to a lack of a counter move. Jones also completed 20 bench press reps and a 9 foot, 3 inch broad jump, which would've tied for the worst among Combine participants. There is some buzz that Jones tweak a hamstring on his first run, but he isn't the athlete some made him out to be. This could drop him out of the first round.

• Moderators

Heard about this... Loved Jarvis while at UGA, but he is starting to have bust potential. Slow forty time, no hops, and undersized. The next Ernie Sims. He is starting to look like a late 2nd round pick. Ogletree is going to be the stud from Georgia and will prolly go in the top 20 somewhere.

Got this off of another forum...

Cornelius Washington was our fast OLB off the line of scrimmage in 2011...........I've repeately said he ran several QBs right into JJ for sacks.

I would still love for Jones to fall to Atlanta at pick #30. Watch tape of the Mizz and Florida game last year. He has a motor that doesn't stop. His top end speed is not elite but he is a pure gamer. Please fall ! Please, please, fall !

He looks small to me for an OLB in the NFL and with that lack of strength and speed he's going to have teams running right at him or forcing him to defend a back or TE out in coverage where he won't be able to match up. He sorta reminds me of Cameron Wake in the way he rushes the QB so if he can learn to play with his hand in the dirt and get a lot stronger he might have a shot but he's got big bust potential. I always worry about those guys who don't workout at the combine and now it seems we know why he didn't.

Heard about this... Loved Jarvis while at UGA, but he is starting to have bust potential. Slow forty time, no hops, and undersized. The next Ernie Sims. He is starting to look like a late 2nd round pick. Ogletree is going to be the stud from Georgia and will prolly go in the top 20 somewhere.

Ouch I hope he has a better career than Ernie Sims! You never know with these guys though, just look at Rolando McClain whom the Raiders can't even get a 7th round draft pick for at this point and he looked like he'd be the next great LB in the NFL.

Whatever with the 40 times and the rest of that crap...dude is a baller plain and simple. Please let him fall to the falcons, immediate starter.

Edited by jy23

We can't put proven veterans at every position, there are going to be some young guys making some kind of impact on our defense this year like it or not. And Jarvis jones is the closest thing to a finished product out there, he can come in and give us immediate impact, even if he never breaks out and becomes a superstar he will be solid for years and I personally would love to have him.

We can't put proven veterans at every position, there are going to be some young guys making some kind of impact on our defense this year like it or not. And Jarvis jones is the closest thing to a finished product out there, he can come in and give us immediate impact, even if he never breaks out and becomes a superstar he will be solid for years and I personally would love to have him.

Agree to a point...I'm just not all that comfortable that Jarvis Jones has the size or quickness to make any kind of impact in the pro game...I think there are guys from Arizona State, Nebraska, North Carolina, and LSU that can do basically the same thing as third round picks. Jarvis Jones didn't win the game for us against Boise State a couple years ago..he makes great plays against average teams. There are plenty of other prospects.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I'll say this, I'll take Jarvis at lb next year over what we have except spoon. I think Nolan can get the best out of him especially with our amoeba type defense we've been running.

I read somewhere that he ran about the same time that Terrell Suggs ran but Suggs had 25-30 lbs on him. I'd be concerned about him being able to handle bigger, stronger and quicker lineman in the pros especially with that disappointing 20 reps on the bench press. He's clearly physically talented but I bet it will take him 2 years before he makes an impact. I just think he's a big risk in the 1st round that could turn out great or totally bust. Then again if he's anything like the other Georgia players on the Dolphins D, Ellerbe and Reshad Jones, then I'd definitely give him a shot.

I don't personally put to much stock in these type of workouts especially if a guy has shown that he can produce on the field like Jarvis has against some of the best competition in college football. A player is a player regardless of what measurements say. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but I do believe he can and will be a solid guy especially on a team like ours, put him in good positions and let him go make plays.

Agree to a point...I'm just not all that comfortable that Jarvis Jones has the size or quickness to make any kind of impact in the pro game...I think there are guys from Arizona State, Nebraska, North Carolina, and LSU that can do basically the same thing as third round picks. Jarvis Jones didn't win the game for us against Boise State a couple years ago..he makes great plays against average teams. There are plenty of other prospects.

People in the know, know this about that Boise St game. Ogletree was playing SS, for the last time in his career, and broke his ankle in the 1st quarter. He hid his injury from coaches and gave up 2 long 1st quarter TDs. Boise St knew he was hurt and went right at him. It took the UGA coaches too long to pull him out of the game. Ogletree ended up missing the next 6 games with a broken ankle. Upon his return he was then moved to LB and never played SS again. This part of the story should be included in that Boise St game. It was also Jarvis Jones 1st game in well over a year after transfering from USC and was the 1st game he had every played in a 3-4. He still finished with a season high 11 tackles in that game. Sure JJ29 did not single handidly win that game, like he did vs. Florida in 2012, but he did play well.

He plays good against average teams is not true. This I have to address. In reality he plays his best games vs. the best teams he faced in 2012:

- Jarvis Jones had 2 sacks, 8 tackles, and knocked down a pass vs #1 Alabama in the SEC Championship game.

- He had 14 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception, and 1 fumble recovery vs. #2 ranked Florida.

- He had 2 sacks, 8 tackles, and knocked down a pass vs. #15 Nebraska.

Now both Nebraska and Florida had very atheltic and strong QBs who are not easy to sack.

Those were 3 of the best teams UGA played all year and Jarvis Jones had his best games against them.

He lead the entire country in tackles for loss and sacks while missing 2 games vs 2 of the worst teams UGA played all year (FAU and Kentucky) where he could have racked up more stats. He would have had more sacks had UGA not played 2 option teams (Ga Tech and Ga Southern) who never throw the football.

Time will tell how he transitions in the NFL. Its fine to doubt his NFL transition based on 1 workout performance in shorts.....that is completely fair.........but don't twist what he did on the field by saying he only put up numbers vs. average teams b/c that is far from the truth.

Edited by coachx

I don't personally put to much stock in these type of workouts especially if a guy has shown that he can produce on the field like Jarvis has against some of the best competition in college football. A player is a player regardless of what measurements say. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but I do believe he can and will be a solid guy especially on a team like ours, put him in good positions and let him go make plays.

You look at a guy like Rolando McClain who had some very questionable things come up at the combine and people ignored them as he was a beast at Alabama and the captain of their dominating national championship defense and now he's on the verge of being cut after 3 years in the league. Like Mayock says, the combine should reinforce what you've seen on tape and if it doesn't then you have to go back and look at the tape harder. Now I haven't seen much of Jones outside of his highlights but from what coach (I believe it was him) said earlier a lot of his big plays came from other defenders chasing the QB to him. I'm gonna see if I can find Mayock's take on Jones as I'd be really interested to hear what he has to say about him after that performance at his pro day and after skipping the combine, which is always a red flag for guys who aren't injured as it shows they don't want to compete against the best.

People in the know, know this about that Boise St game. Ogletree was playing SS, for the last time in his career, and broke his ankle in the 1st quarter. He hid his injury from coaches and gave up 2 long 1st quarter TDs. Boise St knew he was hurt and went right at him. It took the UGA coaches too long to pull him out of the game. Ogletree ended up missing the next 6 games with a broken ankle. Upon his return he was then moved to LB and never played SS again. This part of the story should be included in that Boise St game. It was also Jarvis Jones 1st game in well over a year after transfering from USC and was the 1st game he had every played in a 3-4. He still finished with a season high 11 tackles in that game. Sure JJ29 did not single handidly win that game, like he did vs. Florida in 2012, but he did play well.

He plays good against average teams is not true. This I have to address. In reality he plays his best games vs. the best teams he faced in 2012:

- Jarvis Jones had 2 sacks, 8 tackles, and knocked down a pass vs #1 Alabama in the SEC Championship game.

- He had 14 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception, and 1 fumble recovery vs. #2 ranked Florida.

- He had 2 sacks, 8 tackles, and knocked down a pass vs. #15 Nebraska.

Now both Nebraska and Florida had very atheltic and strong QBs who are not easy to sack.

Those were 3 of the best teams UGA played all year and Jarvis Jones had his best games against them.

He lead the entire country in tackles for loss and sacks while missing 2 games vs 2 of the worst teams UGA played all year (FAU and Kentucky) where he could have racked up more stats. He would have had more sacks had UGA not played 2 option teams (Ga Tech and Ga Southern) who never throw the football.

Time will tell how he transitions in the NFL. Its fine to doubt his NFL transition based on 1 workout performance in shorts.....that is completely fair.........but don't twist what he did on the field by saying he only put up numbers vs. average teams b/c that is far from the truth.

Sounds like he steps up big in big games, that's definitely a good sign. For me I just worry about him being 245 lbs with limited strength and speed and how that's going to translate to the NFL. He's got a huge motor and appears to be very athletic so that should help him a lot.

From PFT with some Mayock quotes about Jones from yesterday.

The reviews are in from Georgia’s Pro Day, and while linebacker Jarvis Jones declared himself the best player in the draft afterward, most other observers weren’t so impressed. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock reported from the Pro Day that Jones ran a 40-yard dash in the 4.9-second range, and that representatives of multiple teams were alarmed that Jones was that slow. “I think a 4.9 is a red flag,” Mayock said. “I talked to a lot of coaches and scouts and they all said the same thing: ‘Wow. A lot slower than we expected.’” By way of comparison, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o was also marked down by several observers as too slow after he ran his 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine — and Te’o, who finished in 4.82 seconds, was faster than Jones. A 40 time isn’t everything: As former NFL general manager Charley Casserly noted on NFL Network, Jones’s 40 is comparable to the 40 that Terrell Suggs ran at his Pro Day, a workout that had some people downgrading Suggs but didn’t dissuade the Ravens from spending a Top 10 pick on him — and didn’t stop Suggs from becoming one of the NFL’s best defensive players. But Suggs is also 260 pounds. In the next breath, Casserly said he couldn’t remember any linebackers Jones’s size (245 pounds) who were able to overcome a 4.9-second 40 and still play well in the NFL. Jones does, of course, have plenty of good game tape to back him up: He wasn’t a two-time All-American for nothing. As Mayock said, the question facing NFL teams now is, “Do you throw out the 4.9 and go back to the tape and trust that he can do what you ask him to do?” Jones has to hope teams are willing to do just that.

From what I could find before from Mayock on him, he thinks he's ready to step in right away as an OLB in the 4-3 but there are some concerns about the spinal stenosis and how that will check out. I believe that came back as a misdiagnosis though didn't it?

• Moderators

Osi and Urlacher FTW... of the SB. lol