• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons looking to move up in 1st round?

Admin

I have a sneaking suspicion that Eifert is the target as the heir apparent to Gonzo and you wouldn't have to move up quite as high for him as you would for Milliner or Rhodes and possibly Trufant. The top tier of DE will probably be too high to move up for as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/17/falcons-trying-to-trade-up-in-the-nfl-draft/

Falcons trying to trade up in the NFL draft
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT

Two years ago, the Falcons made no secret in the days before the draft that they were looking to trade up to get a wide receiver, and they would eventually send two first-round picks, a second-round pick and two fourth-round picks to Cleveland so that they could draft Julio Jones sixth overall. That worked well enough that the Falcons are now trying to move up again.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports that the Falcons are trying to trade up from their current first-round pick, which is No. 30 overall. King said he doesn’t know which player or players the Falcons are targeting, but they apparently like someone whom they expect to be off the board before No. 30 overall.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently suggested that the Falcons might try to trade up for a cornerback like Alabama’s Dee Milliner, Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes or Washington’s Desmond Trufant. They could also covet one of the draft’s top pass rushers after releasing veteran defensive end John Abraham. There’s also talk that they might like to acquire Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert and give him a year to learn from Tony Gonzalez (who is expected to retire after the 2013 season) before taking over for Gonzalez in 2014 as the team’s No. 1 tight end.

Whatever the Falcons’ plans are, General Manager Thomas Dimitroff showed everyone when he traded up for Jones that he’s not afraid to make a bold move if there’s a player he loves.

No way should we draft a tight end period in the first round especially if we have to trade up to get him. I completely believe in TD but it will take me a min to hop on board with this one although of course I will eventually. It was initially reported by Peter King so I'm kind of inclined to believe its a smoke screen.

No way should we draft a tight end period in the first round especially if we have to trade up to get him. I completely believe in TD but it will take me a min to hop on board with this one although of course I will eventually. It was initially reported by Peter King so I'm kind of inclined to believe its a smoke screen.

How did you feel when y'all had to give up so much to move up for Julio? I mean they went way up and gave up a lot to draft a WR and while that certainly was a need and it worked out well, I imagine that a 2nd WR wasn't as big of a need as other positions was at the time. And with TD's history of finding DBs later in the draft, how would you feel about moving up for one when most people say that after the top 10 the next 2 rounds are all pretty much equal? I just watched a segment on NFL Network where they said that possibly half or more of the 2nd round will be DBs. Then if you're talking about moving up for a DE and giving up prime compensation you are taking a big risk by not staying put and grabbing one of the other DE's who could be just as good as any of the guys taken in the top 15. To me the only guy worth moving up for would be Eifert since there is a talent drop off after him. You could possibly make the argument that Milliner is worth moving up for you'd likely have to move into the top 10 to get him and there are lots of good DBs in this draft after him, whereas there's really 1 top tier TE and then 2-5 2nd tier guys.

In regards to the Julio trade it honestly didn't bother me when he did it. It was after that green bay beat down in the playoffs and I think most of us knew we needed more weapons on offense, TD went out and got the best weapon available and although I was shocked I was very pleased. He also still ended up getting quizz late in that draft even after giving up so much so to me that draft was just a big win. As far as This draft goes I don't want to move up at all in the first round. Not for milliner not for eifert not for anybody. I would rather acquire extra second or third round picks bc this draft is much more deep than it is top heavy.

In regards to the Julio trade it honestly didn't bother me when he did it. It was after that green bay beat down in the playoffs and I think most of us knew we needed more weapons on offense, TD went out and got the best weapon available and although I was shocked I was very pleased. He also still ended up getting quizz late in that draft even after giving up so much so to me that draft was just a big win.As far as This draft goes I don't want to move up at all in the first round. Not for milliner not for eifert not for anybody. I would rather acquire extra second or third round picks bc this draft is much more deep than it is top heavy.

I was pretty shocked with the Julio trade as I can't remember another team giving up so much to move up in the 1st round to take a WR, but it worked out pretty well obviously and getting Jaquizz was a pretty good find.

I agree I don't think it's worth moving up in this draft unless you've got multiple extra picks and I don't believe the Falcons have that, do they? Still though I can't help but think that more teams are wanting to be able to do what New England has done so well with their 2 TE lineup and being able to split one of them out and cause matchup nightmares. Personally I'm now 50/50 on hoping that Miami takes Eifert with our 1st round pick to pair with Dustin Keller to form our own dual TE threat. Having the ability to do that causes big problems for defenses and I've seen that when healthy Hernandez and Gronk types of threats paired with an elite QB are indefensible.

• Moderators

Bear in mind that this should be a draft in which the cost of moving up is depressed. In the last few weeks, there has been MUCH more talk about teams wanting to trade down than teams wanting to move up. The reported lack of separation in talent between picks in the 11-50 range also means that teams should expect less of a return for their trades unless they tap into a team's desperation.

Bear in mind that this should be a draft in which the cost of moving up is depressed. In the last few weeks, there has been MUCH more talk about teams wanting to trade down than teams wanting to move up. The reported lack of separation in talent between picks in the 11-50 range also means that teams should expect less of a return for their trades unless they tap into a team's desperation.

Yeah I see it the same way and this is a prime year where the old Jimmy Johnson trade value chart doesn't hold water. Under the old chart the Falcons would have to give up a ton for moving into the early teens.

We've got 11 picks but most of them are compensatory picks an I'm not exactly sure how that works but I don't think we can really do a lot of moving with those picks. We have 2 4th rounders and like 4 7th rounders and I think we can move one of each....so I think that can at least get us another 3rd rounder. But I agree with you about the tight ends and like I said it would take me a while but I would eventually understand and buy into it but right now I just feel that the bulk of our picks should be used on defense. Bc with or without eifert our offense is going to be more than ok, he's a luxury pick at this point. You're not gonna hit in all your picks of course....so let's say we actually use 9 of them and spend about 6 on defense and come out with one starter and maybe 2 depth guys I'm happy. But we can't really do that giving up picks to try and hit on an offensive guy. I think the dolphins could definitely use eifert, Wallace and Keller are your biggest threats right now and you could never have to many weapons. Who is your starting running back now that Reggie is gone?

• Moderators

From what I have read, if the Falcons do trade up, it won't be as dramatic as the trade up to 6th to get Julio. It'll likely be to trade up to around the 20th pick. The reason they are considering doing this is that the Patroits and other teams have similar needs and draft boards as the Falcons. They aren't looking to get in the top 10, just ahead of other Super Bowl contenders to get their guy, if needed.

We've got 11 picks but most of them are compensatory picks an I'm not exactly sure how that works but I don't think we can really do a lot of moving with those picks. We have 2 4th rounders and like 4 7th rounders and I think we can move one of each....so I think that can at least get us another 3rd rounder. But I agree with you about the tight ends and like I said it would take me a while but I would eventually understand and buy into it but right now I just feel that the bulk of our picks should be used on defense. Bc with or without eifert our offense is going to be more than ok, he's a luxury pick at this point. You're not gonna hit in all your picks of course....so let's say we actually use 9 of them and spend about 6 on defense and come out with one starter and maybe 2 depth guys I'm happy. But we can't really do that giving up picks to try and hit on an offensive guy. I think the dolphins could definitely use eifert, Wallace and Keller are your biggest threats right now and you could never have to many weapons. Who is your starting running back now that Reggie is gone?

Lamar Miller, our 4th round pick in last years draft, from the U, will be starting. He was a deadly weapon in college and even though he only got 50 carries last year behind Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas he still averaged 5 yards per carry. He will be the feature back with Thomas backing him up. We also had a 1,000 yard receiver last year in Brian Hartline, a 900+ yard receiver in Davone Bess and then we signed Brandon Gibson who led the NFL in 1st down receptions last year for the Rams. So we have a lot of talent on offense, but Keller is only signed to a 1 year deal and a lot of us want Eiffert as his long term replacement.

I just don't see TD moving up to grab a TE but if so then hey I'll learn to love it but I think we'll be just fine sitting and waiting at pick and taking the best player available.

Lamar Miller, our 4th round pick in last years draft, from the U, will be starting. He was a deadly weapon in college and even though he only got 50 carries last year behind Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas he still averaged 5 yards per carry. He will be the feature back with Thomas backing him up. We also had a 1,000 yard receiver last year in Brian Hartline, a 900+ yard receiver in Davone Bess and then we signed Brandon Gibson who led the NFL in 1st down receptions last year for the Rams. So we have a lot of talent on offense, but Keller is only signed to a 1 year deal and a lot of us want Eiffert as his long term replacement.

Well excuse me for disrespecting your offense lol. I'm looking forward to the game against you guys this year.
  • Like 1