• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith BBIQ and production by position

thecampster

so I'm on 82games.com when 2 stats jumped out at me.

Josh Smith EFG% by position

SF 52.6%

PF 49.6%

C 41.5%

Also

OPP PER

SF - 8.9 (dif 7.2)

PF - 17.3 (dif 1.1)

C - 14.9 (dif 3.3)

The obvious answer here is Josh performs better at the 3 but the EFG% is the interesting one. Josh goes to the basket more against smaller players. His BBIQ is obviously higher when he's at the 3.

Following that argument he averages .9 more assists per 48 minutes when at the 3 as well.

Should this alone not be enough to to say Josh at the 3 is the superior choice?

• Like 2

• Moderators

This is a reason why I am not opposed to resigning Smith, so long as we get a center. Smith a much more efficient player at the 3 and seems to be comfortable at that position... Danny's priority number one is to sign a big time center this offseason.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Moderators

Bear in mind that there is going to be some selection bias in these numbers (i.e., Smith plays in the SF spot when he has an advantage and doesn't when he would be at a disadvantage) but they certainly warrant more time in the post at SF this series for sure. This is one of those situations where Josh at SF works for both Josh and the team.

so I'm on 82games.com when 2 stats jumped out at me.

Josh Smith EFG% by position

SF 52.6%

PF 49.6%

C 41.5%

Also

OPP PER

SF - 8.9 (dif 7.2)

PF - 17.3 (dif 1.1)

C - 14.9 (dif 3.3)

The obvious answer here is Josh performs better at the 3 but the EFG% is the interesting one. Josh goes to the basket more against smaller players. His BBIQ is obviously higher when he's at the 3.

Following that argument he averages .9 more assists per 48 minutes when at the 3 as well.

Should this alone not be enough to to say Josh at the 3 is the superior choice?

When you are a small club like us, guys play out of position. Josh at the three, sure I am open to that. So long as he does not want max money for it.

Bear in mind that there is going to be some selection bias in these numbers (i.e., Smith plays in the SF spot when he has an advantage and doesn't when he would be at a disadvantage) but they certainly warrant more time in the post at SF this series for sure. This is one of those situations where Josh at SF works for both Josh and the team.

Josh would have an advantage in terms of his size and posting up against most SF, he just has to want to go to the post and not take the easy way out by shooting jumpers.

Up until this year, Josh's most efficient position was normally at CENTER, if you use 82games.com as a reference.

But how much time did he play at Center? Josh is not built to play Center for an entire game or most of a game. In spot minutes - OK

Damn I don't know what to say but this...josh for all the Blame you take from fans I'm sorry. This is somewhat huge. Now I'm going to start wondering about LD decision to play him at the 4 so much. I had no idea he has averaged at 52 fg percentage at the 3! Honestly I can't believe it. Not going to lie I really view smith differently now. of course he's still dumb but if he goes to goal more at the 3 or is willing to post up more at the 3 why not play him there full time?Lol most of us probably thought he would take more shots at the 3 full time...I know I did. But maybe we are finally seeing some logic from smith, who knows!

Josh would have an advantage in terms of his size and posting up against most SF, he just has to want to go to the post and not take the easy way out by shooting jumpers.

I agree. it sounds like he shys away from bigger or same size 4s in this league?...I mean read between the lines here:"I go to the post more because 80% of small forwards in this league are smaller than me.""I take more jump shots because most Pfs are either the same size or bigger than me"If that's smith train of thought its surprisingly smart...but I think smith fails to realize while the shot may be smarter or easier against same size or bigger 4s it's still not for you because you just can't shoot!

I agree. it sounds like he shys away from bigger or same size 4s in this league?...I mean read between the lines here:"I go to the post more because 80% of small forwards in this league are smaller than me.""I take more jump shots because most Pfs are either the same size or bigger than me"If that's smith train of thought its surprisingly smart...but I think smith fails to realize while the shot may be smarter or easier against same size or bigger 4s it's still not for you because you just can't shoot!

You can also add to this: Al is also more aggressive in the post backing down players smaller and his own size. He is also quicker than most PF's This tells me we need a center to allow these guys to move to there correct positions. Playing out of position your whole career is not a good thing.

Its never smart for him to take jumps shots and him being smaller than 80% of the PFs should also make him quicker ;)