• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Considering Hiring European For Coaching Position

MaceCase

I see it says Danny signed for $12m+ over the 6 year deal. First I have seen for that.I would like to see a strange innovative hire this. It intrigues me on so many levels.

Dont know much about this guy but his resume makes this a very interesting choice. I do like Ferry's fearlessness to look everywhere in the world for a coach instead of just going through all these recycled garbage nba coaches.

Im sure no1 in hawk history as ever put this much effort into looking for a coach. I like it.

Looking through european coaches definitely shows that he is trying to make a spurs like culture. ( A team that emphasizes team work, ball movement, spacing etc...)

• Like 1

Hey, If Ferry can come out with Messina for HC and Snyder and Nate as his assistants I think it could really work.

And hey, did anyone know that Ferry is getting paid in excess of $12 million for his 6 year deal? Can't remember ever seeing a dollar amount attached to his deal. Don't know how it compares to other GMs either.

• Like 4

And hey, did anyone know that Ferry is getting paid in excess of $12 million for his 6 year deal? Can't remember ever seeing a dollar amount attached to his deal. Don't know how it compares to other GMs either.

Best I could find so far:

BA general manager salaries are not disclosed to the media as player salaries are, but they are well-paid. According to Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News, the average salary for NBA general managers was about $1.5 million annually as of May 2009, with many GMs making more than that. The lowest known salary for a GM is $700,000 per year, which was given to first-time general manager Larry Riley in 2009 by the Golden State Warriors.

Guest Walter

I like this consideration. He's a winner. Can he recruit free agents like Paul and Howard? Unsure. But that would fall on ferry and is already primarily about whether they are so willing to play together that they would take a small pay cut. W

• Premium Member

If they make this hire, it tells me that they've reserved themselves to the fact they have no shot at Howard or Paul (they'll still try) and will build this team another way. The problem is while they want this to be viewed as them thinking outside the box and being pioneers, it's going to scream "we're still cheap" to many.

Edited by Jody23

Messina's making a bit of money in Europe. Remember when Chills went over there for like 5 million? That was and still is considered the equivalent of a 20 million dollar contract over here so a coach with a plushy 1 mil a year job would need incentive to come over unless the challenge alone is enough to get him.

He's taking longer than I thought to fill the job, which I guess is good, but I'd hate to see VanGundy sign somewhere else in the meantime.

The talk is that SVG may not be interested in returning to coaching this year. He turned down an interview with the Bucks, so it is a positive that he has interviewed with the Hawks already. The Hawks may be the one job he would return to the NBA for this year.

The time Danny is taking could mean one of two things:

1. He is taking his time and doing his due diligence on these coaches, which is why he talks to the top international coach out there.

2. He knows who he is going to offer the job to and is just waiting on said coach to be eliminated from the playoffs to make the hiring.

Point #2 could lead to either Mike Budenholzer, who has reportedly interviewed for the job, Mark Malone, or Brian Shaw.

If they make this hire, it tells me that they've reserved themselves to the fact they have no shot at Howard or Paul (they'll still try) and will build this team another way. The problem is while they want this to be viewed as them thinking outside the box and being pioneers, it's going to scream "we're still cheap" to many.

I look at it as the GM finally doing the right thing and not settling for "first to get the job is the one that'll take it cheaply". SVG won't be cheap. Neither will Messina. The best coach is who we should aspire to get, FA's be da**ed. They haven't shown up in droves anyway so I'm not holding my breath on that, I just want a coach that can inspire excellence. Either of the ones mentioned can do that.