• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

There's always ONE GUY that freefalls through the draft

And right now, that guy looks to be Shabazz Muhammad.

A unique opportunity may present itself for the Hawks, if we're able to move up into that top 12, or if he continues to fall down the draft board. This is a guy who was the consensus #1 pick before he went to UCLA, only to see his stock fall slowly but steadily since last summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISAOSMA2kP8

He's NOT an ISO scorer, but more of a guy who has to be set up for his offense ( ala John Jenkins ) . . . but at the SF position. He catch and shoots well and he posts up well. And he has a wingspan of almost 7 feet, despite being 6 - 6.

It's going to be very interesting to see just how far down the draft board he goes. He may be a steal in the mid-first round for the Hawks, if he falls to us. He could be our next starting SF.

Edited by northcyde

There were a few guys that fell into the Hawks range last draft and even into their lap *cough*Perry Jones*cough* but alas, Ferry strikes me as the "what did you do?" as opposed to the "what could you do?" type of scout. Muhamad doesn't stand out in anything statistically outside of hype.

please no cant dribble why would we need him.

not a good athlete for a SF

and he thinks he's better than what he is ala Austin Rivers

there is a reason he is free falling

id rather keep our 2 picks and go for quality and quantity

instead of trading up b/c there isn't a game changer in this draft

There were a few guys that fell into the Hawks range last draft and even into their lap *cough*Perry Jones*cough* but alas, Ferry strikes me as the "what did you do?" as opposed to the "what could you do?" type of scout. Muhamad doesn't stand out in anything statistically outside of hype.

PERRY JONES.

• Moderators

I thought of Tom Petty when I read your title... lol Anyway, my issue with him can be seen in this play:

I do NOT want a guy like that with a chip on his shoulder... Guys like that turn into chuckers and ball stoppers. Also, if Shabazz falls that far then that should tell us something if 15 other teams pass on him. I'm not saying that we should pass up on him, but we better be cautious. He does fill a need.

Scout vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISAOSMA2kP8

Most mistakes in the draft are made when you overrate raw talent and underrate production. Perry Jones is a great example of that.

The Perry Jones comparisons are a bit ridiculous, dude has only been in the league for one season and is on a team we all knew he'd see no playing time on. Doesn't seem fair to judge him so prematurely. On the Hawks he'd probably be a completely different player.

Shabazz has always been overrated, just got exposed at UCLA. He just doesn't really make anyone on his team better, his game is pretty one dimensional. I mean at least Marvin played defense and one thing he lacked was an aggressive approach to go along with his length and ability.

Shabazz just is too demanding on an offense imo. His attitude is questionable to me. Just look at the Buzzer Beater Larry Drew II hit this season against washington, watch Shabazz call for the ball like crazy, then not even celebrate with the team initially when Larry hits the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WqJTKFGwgQ

Edited by Flight

I was a big shabazz fan about a year ago. Thought he would be a lock for a top 3 pick. Seems like he's sliding like crazy. He is one of those guys that will be a better nba player than he was in college. I really don't like the fact that he didn't celebrate after Larry Drew iii hit the game winner. That kinda throws up a red flag as far as being a team player and his overall attitude. Having said that, I'd still like to draft him lol

The Perry Jones comparisons are a bit ridiculous, dude has only been in the league for one season and is on a team we all knew he'd see no playing time on. Doesn't seem fair to judge him so prematurely. On the Hawks he'd probably be a completely different player. Shabazz has always been overrated, just got exposed at UCLA. He just doesn't really make anyone on his team better, his game is pretty one dimensional. I mean at least Marvin played defense and one thing he lacked was an aggressive approach to go along with his length and ability. Shabazz just is too demanding on an offense imo. His attitude is questionable to me. Just look at the Buzzer Beater Larry Drew II hit this season against washington, watch Shabazz call for the ball like crazy, then not even celebrate with the team initially when Larry hits the shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WqJTKFGwgQ

I remember that not celebrating scene - not good. Scouts at the combine said he had an all about me attitude on the court and during interviews - not good. Also said he was to participate in some drill or something and claimed injury and there was speculation that he did poorly the day before that's why he pulled out - if so, not good. One question the Spurs ask their drafts picks n free agents - can you be happy with your teammates success? He was not happy for LD II at all. I'm not saying if he falls we shouldn't take him if Ferry thinks he would fit this new culture - but so far I don't like what I hear.

The question with Muhammad is if he falls to us . . . do we take him? Because if he falls to us, he's going to be considered the best player on the board. And the fact that he's played only one year of college, and played pretty well ( but not outstanding ) as the lead dog at a major program, has to be a plus for him in the eyes of scouts.

The only full game I ever saw Muhammad play last year, was the game against Missouri.

You see some of the issues at play that scouts are concerned about, but you also see his potential as a player on display as well. He had a big game that night. I'll post 2 more games with Shabazz as the focus. One will be a game in which his shot is completely off ( the infamous Washington game ) The other will be a hot and cold type of game in which he played decent ( vs Arizona )

The other thing that kind of stands out in these vids, is that Larry Drew II isn't a bad PG at all.

Oh . . and you may have to try to ignore the commentary of Bill Walton in these games. Can't stand his whiny style of announcing.

vs Washington

@ Arizona

If this dude falls to us, Ferry better make sure that this dude can't be coached up to be a lot better than what he is. Shabazz has the tools to be a solid starting SF in this league. He reminds me of Kawhi Leonard, without the defensive awareness.

Actually, a better comparison may be OJ Mayo. That's who he reminds me of . . . OJ.

And actually, dare I say it . . . he reminds me a little of Joe Johnson . . . with his ability to get into the lane and shoot the floater. Probably most impressive about him offensively, is his post up game. His post up game makes up a little for his lack of ability to create his shot off the dribble.

And actually, dare I say it . . . he reminds me a little of Joe Johnson . . . with his ability to get into the lane and shoot the floater. Probably most impressive about him offensively, is his post up game. His post up game makes up a little for his lack of ability to create his shot off the dribble.

Joe handles are flawless, Bazz handles are weak. Bazz would be a great get with us having CP3, Dwight, and Horf. I just don't see him doing any good otherwise. He to me is like Corey Maggette. If you molded him into a role player. He can be an All Star level player like K. Leonard but if you just throw him out there and and say go play because your team just isn't good enough to run a decent offense, I'll say pass. It just depends. He is much more talented than PJ though. PJ has potential and can be a good player. OKC is developing him like Indy did with Stevenson.

Guy plays like the "BAD JOSH" without the post passing ability.

Bad Josh doesn't have much of a motor on offense and rarely moves without the ball. Some of you guys are trying too hard to hard on Bazz.

Edited by Leadership

The question with Muhammad is if he falls to us . . . do we take him? Because if he falls to us, he's going to be considered the best player on the board. And the fact that he's played only one year of college, and played pretty well ( but not outstanding ) as the lead dog at a major program, has to be a plus for him in the eyes of scouts.

The only full game I ever saw Muhammad play last year, was the game against Missouri.

You see some of the issues at play that scouts are concerned about, but you also see his potential as a player on display as well. He had a big game that night. I'll post 2 more games with Shabazz as the focus. One will be a game in which his shot is completely off ( the infamous Washington game ) The other will be a hot and cold type of game in which he played decent ( vs Arizona )

The other thing that kind of stands out in these vids, is that Larry Drew II isn't a bad PG at all.

Oh . . and you may have to try to ignore the commentary of Bill Walton in these games. Can't stand his whiny style of announcing.

vs Washington

@ Arizona

If this dude falls to us, Ferry better make sure that this dude can't be coached up to be a lot better than what he is. Shabazz has the tools to be a solid starting SF in this league. He reminds me of Kawhi Leonard, without the defensive awareness.

Actually, a better comparison may be OJ Mayo. That's who he reminds me of . . . OJ.

Can you post some videos of him on defense - I don't want another shooter/scorer who doesn't care about defense - no more one way players having to wonder if you have enough offense or defense on the floor all the time.

Can you post some videos of him on defense - I don't want another shooter/scorer who doesn't care about defense - no more one way players having to wonder if you have enough offense or defense on the floor all the time.

I seen him in the combine. He plays solid defense AT times. He's a Josh Smith like defender. When he's motivated, he will defend. He doesn't have quick feet but he does have very good length and is very strong for his age. You can develop him into a good defender in my opinion. He seems to focus too much on offense like Smith but unlike Smith he knows his limits. The problem is, he can be very inefficient because he will try to do too much thinking he is better than he is. He needs to be with a very good team which will strap him to a role. You can put guys like him on lotto teams, he's bust but if you put him on a good team, he will improve. He has an amazing motor on offense. If you can't get him to consistently do that on defense, you might have a very valuable role player.

Edited by Leadership

Joe handles are flawless, Bazz handles are weak. Bazz would be a great get with us having CP3, Dwight, and Horf. I just don't see him doing any good otherwise. He to me is like Corey Maggette. If you molded him into a role player. He can be an All Star level player like K. Leonard but if you just throw him out there and and say go play because your team just isn't good enough to run a decent offense, I'll say pass. It just depends. He is much more talented than PJ though. PJ has potential and can be a good player. OKC is developing him like Indy did with Stevenson.

Bad Josh doesn't have much of a motor on offense and rarely moves without the ball. Some of you guys are trying too hard to hard on Bazz.

Corey Magettee was a pretty dang good player for about 6 years in this league and averaged double digit points for 12 straight years. If Shabazz turns into Corey Maggette as a #17 or #18 pick, that would be dang good. Even if Shabazz's destiny in this league is that of a scoring 6th man, that will be great for the Hawks.

You are right . . . he probably is a Corey Maggette type of player. One that isn't all that athletic, but knows how to score, has a decent post game, and can get to the FT line.

I'm sure everyone knows that we're not drafting a superstar or maybe not even an All-Star with the #17 pick in what most people consider a "weak" draft. So if Shabazz falls to us, I hope we take him.

Can't complain too much if Shabazz turns out to be C-Mag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DArfTu7K4JY