• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gorgui Dieng

DrReality

Love that nasty look Snell has on his face. True Lobo

I've read some comments on Snell that may me think the comparison to Leonard is off and that he may not have the make up for the new Hawks:

http://sports.icito.com/tag/tony-snell/

12:22 Andy Katz, the sideline reporter for the day, interviews Craig Neal, who was assistant coach at New Mexico when Tony Snell was a Lobo last season (and is now the program’s head coach). Katz asks Neal why Snell should be a first-round pick. While answering, Neal mentions that Snell needs to “not disappear in games” and that “he has to get over the hump on how hard he plays.” That’ll surely get the NBA scouts excited.

12:26 Fraschilla says Snell has “a low impact on the game on the defensive end” and that he “has one noticeable NBA skill.” Williams and Penn compare Snell to Kawhi Leonard, probably because they’re the only two basketball players in the world who still have cornrows. Penn continues by questioning Snell’s intensity and his ability to impose his will on games. So to recap: His coach thinks he disappears in games and doesn’t play hard, he air-balled a 3 as Ford called him streaky, Fraschilla essentially called him one-dimensional, and Penn questioned his intensity. Not exactly a great few minutes for Tony Snell. Well, except for Russillo tabbing him as a personal fave.

I haven't seen Snell play, so I don't know if any of this is true. One thing I do know is this though. You can coach a player to improve his shooting form. He can coach a player to rotate correctly on defense. You can't coach a player to be more intense than his nature makes him.

I've read some comments on Snell that may me think the comparison to Leonard is off and that he may not have the make up for the new Hawks: http://sports.icito.com/tag/tony-snell/ I haven't seen Snell play, so I don't know if any of this is true. One thing I do know is this though. You can coach a player to improve his shooting form. He can coach a player to rotate correctly on defense. You can't coach a player to be more intense than his nature makes him.

The interviews with Bud have repeatedly stressed competition so this may be a real issue. Need that tough defender!

• Moderators

i really like dieng too, but their is whitehey from kansas which is atrue 7 footer with about the same numbers.

I like Withey too, but I'd draft him at a lower 1st round spot. Beside my petty fears of what people might do with his surname on the Soul Train Scramble Board, he's not as strong an offensive rebounder as Dieng (or Adams), and his jumpshot is not as developed as Dieng's. Jeff will play stronger in the defensive post, though.

~lw3

I like Withey too, but I'd draft him at a lower 1st round spot. Beside my petty fears of what people might do with his surname on the Soul Train Scramble Board, he's not as strong an offensive rebounder as Dieng (or Adams), and his jumpshot is not as developed as Dieng's. Jeff will play stronger in the defensive post, though.

~lw3

well i knew he had defensive pprowess, but if e cant give us no more than zaza in the paint offensively oh well i gues its dieng hands down

I will start by saying I am a UK fan first and foremost, but living in Louisville I watch a lot of UofL games. I really like Dieng a lot. Maybe it's the stupid American in me and the African center aspect, but I think he could be a Deke Lite. He even has that glare in his eye after he blocks a shot (and he blocks a lot of shots). He is a good player, and he is very coachable. He's grown leaps and bounds over the past couple years playing under Pitino, he's always hustled and been a good defensive guy, but he's adding a nice touch from midrange and passes well for a 5. I don't know if he would ever be a starter for a championship contender, but he could be a solid primary backup for any team. I'd love it if we grabbed him. Add another 5 or a SF (maybe the African/Greek kid - not going to attempt spelling his name) with the other 1st round pick, then pick up pg Isaiah Canaan in the second round since he played for my Alma Mater, and I will be one happy camper.

My only concern with him may be that he is really not much bigger than Horford. I know that's not as big of a deal as it may seem, but I am really wanting someone with some good size and strength in the middle. Just my O though

My only concern with him may be that he is really not much bigger than Horford. I know that's not as big of a deal as it may seem, but I am really wanting someone with some good size and strength in the middle. Just my O though

He's only an inch taller than Horford but he's got an almost 3" wingspan advantage and 4.5" reach advantage.  For some reason DX doesn't have any  measurements for his verticals or max reach but I'm guessing he's going to at least match Horford in those numbers and maintain his reach advantage.

If you don't see scrollbars below, you can put your mouse over the below table and scroll to the right to see the whole table.

Name Height w/o Shoes Height w/shoes Weight Wingspan Reach Body Fat Hand Length Hand Width No Step Vert No Step Vert Reach Max Vert Max Vert Reach Bench Agility Sprint Rank Drafted
Al Horford - 2007 6' 8.75" 6' 9.75" 246 7' 0.75" 8' 11" 9.1 0 0 31 11' 6" 35.5 11' 10.5" 20 12.15 3.37 21 3
Gorgui Dieng - 2013 6' 9.75" 6' 10.75" 230 7' 3.5" 9' 3.5" 5.4 9 10 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA No
  • Like 1