• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Jason Kidd

Would love to see him on Budz staff. Just what the doctor ordered for a PG anemic franchise. Don't know what type of Coach he would make, but it's defenitely intriguing to see the possibility of him on the sidelines coaching up the young prospects in a p n r offense. I'm just saying.....

Would love to see him on Budz staff. Just what the doctor ordered for a PG anemic franchise. Don't know what type of Coach he would make, but it's defenitely intriguing to see the possibility of him on the sidelines coaching up the young prospects in a p n r offense. I'm just saying.....

Like Hakeem made Smoove a great post player???

This is the NBA, you either have the skill-set or you don't. Mack and Teague don't.

Like Hakeem made Smoove a great post player??? This is the NBA, you either have the skill-set or you don't. Mack and Teague don't.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink? Josh took the lesson and did absolutely nothing with it, Hakeem can only do do much it's up to Josh to actually put in the time and work on it.

Like Hakeem made Smoove a great post player??? This is the NBA, you either have the skill-set or you don't. Mack and Teague don't.

Josh grew up as a SG and I'd say Dream didn't a damned good job turning Josh into a hell of an efficient post scorer. Sure Josh had people in his ear telling him to shoot 3's but that doesn't mean that Dream didn't improve his post skills by leaps and bounds from when he entered the league.I'm not a fan of Kidd as a coach though.

Like Hakeem made Smoove a great post player???

This is the NBA, you either have the skill-set or you don't. Mack and Teague don't.

I don't think its as night and day of a contrast as you make it sound.

The Spurs organization and Coach Bud both are believers in player development. In every interview I have heard from Coach Bud he mentions a committment to player development. I believe Kidd would be beneficial to Teague in taking the next step in being a floor general and not just a scorer. ( Of course some legitimate offensive weapons to pass the ball to would be nice too. ) Van Excel is fine at reminding Teague to be aggressive in looking for his shot but another voice would be better at teaching him the aspects of being a floor general.

Sure Kidd was born with that ability.........but players can develop and better themselves to a certain degree. Especially early in their careers. Look at Chauncey Billups and Steve Nash as examples. They were deep into their late 20's before they approached their primes. Teague will never be a Jason Kidd like floor general but he can definately improve and some timely words of wisdom can't hurt.

All that being said..........After 19 years if playing and being on the road 8 months out of the year I would think Kidd wants a couple of years off before he thinks about coaching.

Not a Kidd fan, as a player or a coach. Obviously he's a HOF player but I don't like pg's that can't shoot. And I'm still mad Kidd bumped Woody when mavs visited the hawks in 2009 or 2010 lol

I don't think its as night and day of a contrast as you make it sound.

The Spurs organization and Coach Bud both are believers in player development. In every interview I have heard from Coach Bud he mentions a committment to player development. I believe Kidd would be beneficial to Teague in taking the next step in being a floor general and not just a scorer. ( Of course some legitimate offensive weapons to pass the ball to would be nice too. ) Van Excel is fine at reminding Teague to be aggressive in looking for his shot but another voice would be better at teaching him the aspects of being a floor general.

Sure Kidd was born with that ability.........but players can develop and better themselves to a certain degree. Especially early in their careers. Look at Chauncey Billups and Steve Nash as examples. They were deep into their late 20's before they approached their primes. Teague will never be a Jason Kidd like floor general but he can definately improve and some timely words of wisdom can't hurt.

All that being said..........After 19 years if playing and being on the road 8 months out of the year I would think Kidd wants a couple of years off before he thinks about coaching.

Nash and Billups had superior PG skills in college compared to Mack and Teague especially Teague. Stop trying to turn players into what they are not. That's sign of failure. Just find someone who is that. I am not trying to turn a graphics guys into a hardcore developer unless he has the tools to do both.

Not a Kidd fan, as a player or a coach. Obviously he's a HOF player but I don't like pg's that can't shoot. And I'm still mad Kidd bumped Woody when mavs visited the hawks in 2009 or 2010 lol

Kidd developed into a fine shooter as he is 3rd on the all time list in 3 pointers made. Who would have thought that 3 years into Kidds career.

Another sign of player development.

• Like 1

Nash and Billups had superior PG skills in college compared to Mack and Teague especially Teague. Stop trying to turn players into what they are not. That's sign of failure. Just find someone who is that. I am not trying to turn a graphics guys into a hardcore developer unless he has the tools to do both.

Which makes Teague development in his 1st 4 years all the more remarkable.

Is Tony Parker a pure PG ? It took him 10 season to average more then 7 apg. Teague did that in year 4 with less offensive fire power around him. He had no Tim Duncan to dump the ball to allowing for "easy" assist. He had no Ginobli as a backcourt mate last season.

Parker and Teague have alot of the same physical traits as penetrating scoring PGs.

I'm not ready to throw him to the wolves just yet.

• Like 2

Great Players don't have the patience to coach players who aren't. Some bum like Shane Battier or Luke Ridnour (a bum I like) from this generation is gonna be COTY in 12 years. Larry was th only Great Player I grew up watching who was any good, and even he said "f@ck this, I'm going upstairs."

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Teague is improving as a play maker...His biggest problem is finishing around the basket in traffic...Parker is far better at it than Teague. But I think with better body positioning, Teague could improve that also.

Teague is improving as a play maker...His biggest problem is finishing around the basket in traffic...Parker is far better at it than Teague. But I think with better body positioning, Teague could improve that also.

I agree. Jeff needs to get stronger in his core and overall. He cant take contact well inside and it's also the reason he cant get through screens well. Jeff comes off as one of those guys that only does arms in the gym lol

Yeah it is weird. Teague can dunk in traffic regularly, Parker never has. Parker just has an uncanny talent to finish without having to jump high because his touch and body control are perfect like Iverson before him. A lot of film study and knowing you're opponent's style of contesting at the hole also helps Parker a great deal. Teague had more than a few fantastic finishes last year, yet still has a light year to go if he's going to be near the top of the league in paint scoring like Parker and A.I. had miraculously been in their prime. The only way you do that in a class of Bigs and legendary 2s and 3s is recognizing every oppurtunity to drive and being super aggressive 100% of the time. At least now Teague will have a coach who will rip the refs for missed foul calls unlike last year. That man shouldve taken at least 100 more free throws. Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

I don't sense Teague having the same mental makeup, savy or leadership ability of Tony Parker.

I don't know either but TP had the advantage of TD and Manu to push him and encourage him and they allowed him to flourish, they were happy with his success. Popovich said they always ask players who they are thinking of drafting or signing as free agents "Can you be happy with your teammate's success?"

Here in Hawks land - not so much. I always remember Josh's comment after Teague had a big game (2 years ago, Joe was still here) and the team won, he said "yeah but he needs to get everybody involved" - I didn't like that at all.

Teague looks like an undersized SG. I don't see why you guys love him so bad. Gives up more points than he scores. Poor court vision. high usage rate, moreso than CP3. I wish I never see him start at PG for ANY NBA team much less my own.

That's what I'm sayin sarcatic ...:-) I think an IP address needs to be checked here

In case you guys don't remember NBASoup was never able to type a complete sentence without horrible spelling and grammar. I can assure you if Leadership is an old banned member it's not the soup.