• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2013 Hawksquawk Summer Dynasty Draft Sign-Up Thread

AHF

IN!!!! Can't post in bold bc I'm on my phone

Northcyde is in . . . . but

Explain to me the logic behind having a "dynasty draft", but leaving these players out . .

- Ben McLemore

- Nerlens Noel

- Anthony Bennett

- Steven Adams

- Shabazz Muhammad

Because if we do this next year, we're potentially leaving out

- Andrew Wiggins

- Jabari Parker

- Julius Randle

- James Young

- Andrew Harrison

- Wayne Selden

If someone wants to take one of the kids coming off of their Freshman year in college, why not let them do so, if they were going to be eligible in the real NBA draft?

Then at the end of the year, you could REALLY see if they took a potential superstar, or a bust.

• Like 1

Explain to me the logic behind having a "dynasty draft", but leaving these players out . .

- Ben McLemore

- Nerlens Noel

- Anthony Bennett

- Steven Adams

- Shabazz Muhammad

- Andrew Wiggins

- Jabari Parker

- Julius Randle

- James Young

- Andrew Harrison

- Wayne Selden

If someone wants to take one of the kids coming off of their Freshman year in college, why not let them do so, if they were going to be eligible in the real NBA draft?

Then at the end of the year, you could REALLY see if they took a potential superstar, or a bust.

I agree, the rooks should be included. Its not like GMs ( Squawk Members ) do not know they exist so they should be fair game. If you use a good pick on a bust that's on you!

Actually, never mind. I thought this was for a fantasy league. Not sure about this Summer Dynasty thing. Posted Image

Its just a one time draft against your peers. Nothing to lose but a little pride ;)

• Moderators

- Ben McLemore

- Nerlens Noel

- Anthony Bennett

- Steven Adams

- Shabazz Muhammad

- Andrew Wiggins

- Jabari Parker

- Julius Randle

- James Young

- Andrew Harrison

- Wayne Selden

No worries. You just missed the fact that you were reading last year's rules:

Here are last year's rules:

2. Eligibility: You can Draft anybody that is currently in the league or is or has been draft eligible. We have eliminated the requirement that they must have played at least one NBA game prior to today, so players like Ricky Rubio and Kyrie Irving would have been eligible under this format in last year’s draft. Players eligible for the 2012 draft can be drafted as can foreign players drafted in the past or draft eligible in the past who haven't played in the NBA. Players like Shabazz Muhammed are still not eligible for this draft because they are not and have never been draft eligible

Last year's rules so for this year the rule naturally is that player's eligible through this year's draft are eligible. Draft eligible is the key so no drafting Wiggins but you can use your top pick on Mason Plumlee.

Edited by AHF

Actually, never mind. I thought this was for a fantasy league. Not sure about this Summer Dynasty thing. Posted Image

Yeah if it's not the Fantasy League then what exactly is this again? I thought it was a little early but hell, last couple of years I saw the thread just a little too late so I guess I jumped the gun too. If it's not fantasy then I know I wanna go ahead and call

SHOTGUN!!!Posted Image

And why would cap space be beneficial over not having to be bother with it when having to make moves throughout the season

Yeah if it's not the Fantasy League then what exactly is this again? I thought it was a little early but hell, last couple of years I saw the thread just a little too late so I guess I jumped the gun too. If it's not fantasy then I know I wanna go ahead and call

SHOTGUN!!!Posted Image

And why would cap space be beneficial over not having to be bother with it when having to make moves throughout the season

If we went through all the trouble of using cap and the CBA, it would give a fresh perspective on how hard it really is to put together a super team.

Example: A team cannot go over the cap of 58.5 million.

14 roster spots.

Lets say you took Melo ( 20.9 million a season ) and Brook Lopez or Roy Hibbert ( 13.7 million a season ) with your first two picks. 34.6 in two players, that leaves you with 23.4 to fill out your twelve remaining spots. Even if we were to use a assumed luxury line of say 65 million, that would only leave you with 30.4 million for those twelve spots.

The two hard and fast rules for a draft like this would be, you cannot have a illegal lineup and you must stay within the cap area. If you try and hit those two metrics, you get a full understanding of why small market teams value the hell out of rookie contracts.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

For those who are worried about this, don't be. I sat out the 1st year (or was it 2?) that they did this thinking I wouldn't have the time or that it would be a pain or maybe not fun. But let me tell you it's a lot of fun, it's easy, and it's not that time consuming unless you want it to be. Essentially you'll be picking every 1-3 days depending on how fast/slow others are and you'll have 8 hours to make your pick and if you're late for that then you can make it at any time after that without having to wait. Once you make your pick you just send a PM to the next person in line and then go on about your business.

Check out this incredibly long thread from last year when we did it to get an idea of what it's about.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/369187-summer-dynasty-draft-is-on/

• Like 1

For those who are worried about this, don't be. I sat out the 1st year (or was it 2?) that they did this thinking I wouldn't have the time or that it would be a pain or maybe not fun. But let me tell you it's a lot of fun, it's easy, and it's not that time consuming unless you want it to be. Essentially you'll be picking every 1-3 days depending on how fast/slow others are and you'll have 8 hours to make your pick and if you're late for that then you can make it at any time after that without having to wait. Once you make your pick you just send a PM to the next person in line and then go on about your business.

Check out this incredibly long thread from last year when we did it to get an idea of what it's about.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/369187-summer-dynasty-draft-is-on/

It is fun, easy, and interesting to see the different strategies. I don't think I had the best team last year by any stretch, but I still had a blast.

• Like 1

It is fun, easy, and interesting to see the different strategies. I don't think I had the best team last year by any stretch, but I still had a blast.

Buzzard is absolutely right. He did not have anywhere near the best team, by any stretch.

• Like 1

Buzzard is absolutely right. He did not have anywhere near the best team, by any stretch.

Good one! LMAO

I am going to change my strategy and not worry so much about age and contract. If they are productive, I will have to consider them.

• Like 1