• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

*2013* Update: Hawks have agreed to deal with Paul Millsap

Admin

I'm gonna be honest, not huge on this signing because of the dreaded "treadmill" word, but Millsap is a good player on a solid deal. One of Millsap or Horford will be traded this season I think. Shame, because I will end up liking Millsap a lot I feel.

Edit: I'm also a fan of his versatility. If we could bring in a stopgap C (Asik would be perfect), we'd have a flexible frontline. Millsap can play some three.

Edited by TheFuzz

Uh...not sure if serious?

Bulls

Spurs

Pistons

Heat

All were bad teams that then drafted superstars that carried them to titles.

The Spurs were a good team that lost a player -- that is NOT tanking. They were already an almost-complete package and Duncan put them over the top.

The Bulls/Pistons were pre-lottery -- back when tanking worked. Now, far too many things have to go right for tanking to work, which is why it no longer works.

Heat? Maybe. I guess you found the one outlier that makes tanking a winning strategy.

It's not the player, it's the fit of how the player fits into the grand scheme of it.

I see Davis as a potential top 3-5 player. I don't see that player on the Hawks.

I see Gordon as a potential top 15-25 player who is an elite scorer when healthy. I don't see that on the Hawks. We don't have a #1 option.

I see Evans as a two way forward who has developed into a defensive stopper in Sac-Town which people weren't watching.

Asik fits for the team. Not just one player but the entire starting five. We would need Asik to score in Atlanta. In New Orleans, Asik would be a clear 5th option if even that. Rivers and Aminu would have shots before him. He would just be a trashman in New Orleans. He fits that role. He wouldn't fit in our role. We would just assume he would fit next to Horford.

It's just a rumor.

And how do you know we would need Asik to score in Atlanta? At this point, we don't know who our starting guards will be.

Don't know why you ever came back to this site? If you aren't a fan of the Hawks through thick and thin then you aren't fan. But if they do something you like I'm sure you will be back. Flip flop are you sure you aren't Dwight?

Was Sekou talking to NBASuperstar40 / Joker / Leadership here?

Millsap can't play three on this team. Not enough versatility on defense or offense from teammates. He could play SOME on offense but would have for some to play three on defense. Just imagining both and Al and Paul's demeanor when Korver, Jenkins, and Teague consistently allow their man free to the hole.

Two years reeks of stop gap, trade him when the time is right type of move.

• Premium Member

The Spurs were a good team that lost a player -- that is NOT tanking. They were already an almost-complete package and Duncan put them over the top.

The Bulls/Pistons were pre-lottery -- back when tanking worked. Now, far too many things have to go right for tanking to work, which is why it no longer works.

Heat? Maybe. I guess you found the one outlier that makes tanking a winning strategy.

Actually the Spurs absolutely tanked to get Duncan. They intentionally did not even fill out a full roster and brought back an ancient Nique to be their best player. They knew what they were doing and it worked.

Bulls and Pistons were bad teams that drafted superstars and it worked. The Lakers basically did the same thing with Kobe because he told everyone he was only ever going to play for the Lakers so Charlotte had to trade him.

• Moderators

This is tough man. But I decided a month ago, if we decide to prolong the rebuild in the deepest draft class since Michael Jordan, I can't support this team anymore. I know the anti-tankers are like HELL YEAH, FU*K OUTTA HERE, YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FAN!!! But I am a true fan. I got my name on another site for stanning the Hawks and I am getting killed for CP3/D12 signing with other teams not signing with the Hawks. People dancing, laughing, having a field day and calling me delusional. I said, if I lose hope, I should have never been a Hawks fan from Day 1. The one thing I had is my hope even when I was the only one. Well, I don't have hope anymore. I feel empty with this team. I was way too invested emotionally to this team anyway. I am not invested to the Falcons or Braves the way I am emotionally invested in the Hawks. People from other teams like, it's the f**king Hawks, they are dumbasses. They are used to being losers and getting no respect. I used to argue it but now agree, they are.

Give it time man. If you still don't have belief by Christmas that Ferry will have a championship team in 5 years, then go ahead and leave. Dwight chose to go to the Rockets and CP3 chose to stay in LA. Ferry didn't shun them and refuse to bring them in. He met up with Dwight and sold his plan to him. Dwight has personal issues with his parents, not us. Other big name guys will become free agents and for now we just gotta fill the roster and keep moving forward. Millsap isn't a bad signing. It just looks bad because it isn't who we were expecting. We were all expecting a BANG and all we got was a pop. We all should have known that Ferry wasn't going to make a dynasty contender overnight.

Sorry brother, but after 19 years, I decided to take my fanhood to Bourbon Street. See post 262 http://www.pelicansreport.com/showthread.php?77561-Pelicans-offering-Ryno-for-Asik&p=1118496&posted=1#post1118496

Judging by your post count, you've been over there a while.

And Wade? He wouldn't have won a championship without Shaq and Lebron. How many future HOFs are coming to Atlanta?

Give it time man. If you still don't have belief by Christmas that Ferry will have a championship team in 5 years, then go ahead and leave. Dwight chose to go to the Rockets and CP3 chose to stay in LA. Ferry didn't shun them and refuse to bring them in. He met up with Dwight and sold his plan to him. Dwight has personal issues with his parents, not us. Other big name guys will become free agents and for now we just gotta fill the roster and keep moving forward. Millsap isn't a bad signing. It just looks bad because it isn't who we were expecting. We were all expecting a BANG and all we got was a pop. We all should have known that Ferry wasn't going to make a dynasty contender overnight. Judging by your post count, you've been over there a while.

I was there trolling. Surprised my name wasn't banned. I would make threads about it being best if they traded CP3 to the Hawks.

I been though this before, sure the captain of the ship is different but everything else seems to remain the same. The first response to signing Milsap was Diesel. It's said "Yuck". You know what Dallas realgm forum post was when Calderon was signed by Dallas "Yuck"

Edited by Leadership
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Y'all are cracking me up.. This is a great player. Just cuz DF doesn't sign all of your "dream scenario" guys, y'all are ready to throw him over the cliff? Relax! Have a little patience and see what kind of a team he can build. Y'all are so used to the previous boneheads we have had in the GM seat that you are jumping to all of these conclusions.What we don't know is:How will he be used? (Starter/6th man)How will Al be used alongside him?Who our PG, SF,SG, and C will be..How many other moves are being planned..Lets all relax and enjoy the fact that we added a talented basketball player to our roster. Sheesh!

I like this Hairydawgz guy... Too much logic here for reactionary poster to bear. lol

Just be glad that you guys can actually ignore people. I can't ... then again nobody can ignore me either :)

I don't see a reason why anyone would want to ignore you, Dolf. Some of these other clowns, not so much.
  • Like 1

I love most of you guys. Dolfan especially. I guess this is the end. I would just get banned anyway in the middle of the season with a rant v. the Hawks anyway. It's best I retire now. A lot of guys are amazing posters I and enjoy all sides of the spectrum. Thank you hawksquawk, you are the greatest and Dolfan, dat graphics!

• Like 4