• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks summer of 2013

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Whew........I know this summer is not over..........but all of optimism of the offseason we had has turned so far into a nightmire. I for one am stunned at the events of this summer for the Hawks. Who would have thought with all the cap space we had to spend that we would end up with Millsap and a battle for Monta Ellis or Brandon Jennings? We went into this offseason looking for a 5 in D12 and will probably end up no better than a bench player. To say its a disappointment is an understatement and I don't see how Danny can remedy this mess anytime soon. I hope he pulls the magic rabbit out of a hat before training camp.Your thoughts?

• Like 3

...To say its a disappointment is an understatement and I don't see how Danny can remedy this mess anytime soon. I hope he pulls the magic rabbit out of a hat before training camp.Your thoughts?

I think Danny did all he could to set everything up - it's just that the cool kids didn't come to our party - and we are stuck with the Chess Club as usual.

• Like 3

As of right now it looks like a nightmare. We are no better off then we were last season, and I would venture to say even less. No chemistry on the team, lack of real scoring, and a marginal back-court to go along with a marginal front court with no real difference maker on the team at all. And don't give me Al, I love the guy but he is NOT a difference maker nor is he THE guy. The management has effectively pushed its fanbase further from it due to lack of information on direction or though the lack of anything resembling trying for more than trade bait and tanking. The problems with this team go beyond the team itself (players and management), they have NO idea how to approach its most valuable asset, the fans. There is an almost aw shucks mentality to FA since we have zero clue what the direction is. I am not saying I don't think this team will be built or we can't have a winner, but man keep the fans at least a little invested.

• Premium Member

Milsap is hardly a bench player

I was speaking of center....

I think Danny did all he could to set everything up - it's just that the cool kids didn't come to our party - and we are stuck with the Chess Club as usual.

So he didn't get the job done, or hasn't so far

• Moderators

I disagree with the premise that it's a nightmare.

He actually said it is a nightmire. I don't agree with that either. It was more of the same scams as usual. As soon as Rivers got to the clippers we were screwed. Dwight wasn't coming here without Paul. I had hope that we could get Paul though. I think its all shady.

I think we are better off than last season. Milsap has a better impact on the game than Josh. We will fill out our roster but lets face it the core of the team last year was Teague/Harris/Korver/Lou/Josh/Horford. We're replacing Josh with Milsap, added a good wing defender in Carroll. Hopefully Jenkins will be a rotation player. So we haven't really changed much except lost a a guy who chucked a lot of bad shots and was a pretty big distraction.

• Like 2

He actually said it is a nightmire. I don't agree with that either. It was more of the same scams as usual. As soon as Rivers got to the clippers we were screwed. Dwight wasn't coming here without Paul. I had hope that we could get Paul though. I think its all shady.

I think we are better off than last season. Milsap has a better impact on the game than Josh. We will fill out our roster but lets face it the core of the team last year was Teague/Harris/Korver/Lou/Josh/Horford. We're replacing Josh with Milsap, added a good wing defender in Carroll. Hopefully Jenkins will be a rotation player. So we haven't really changed much except lost a a guy who chucked a lot of bad shots and was a pretty big distraction.

I dunno I think we did lose some chemistry. At least last years team knew how to play with each other. Not saying they can't have good chemistry, it is just something to consider. And don't forget while Smith was known for chucking shots, he was also a guy who could give you 20-30 or more at anytime.

I'm ok if the roster turns out to be Brandon Jennings/Al Horford/Paul Millsap as the 3 best players.

Not cool if the roster turns out to be Monta Ellis/Al Horford/Paul Millsap as the 3 best players.

• Premium Member

I think any reasonable human would have rationalized our chances of getting Dwight were slim. To act surprised that we did not get him is simply stupid........for lack of a more accurate word.

Not saying that, I agree we knew going in that D12 wasn't coming here. The issue I have is if this is the best we can do with free agents and trades, after clearing the roster and having cap space, then we have big problems.
  • Like 1

Not saying that, I agree we knew going in that D12 wasn't coming here. The issue I have is if this is the best we can do with free agents and trades, after clearing the roster and having cap space, then we have big problems.

Trades ? We only have 3 guys under contract so I'm not sure what trades a rational person would expect.Milsap and Carroll are pretty solid moves.I like Evans but not for the $11 mill he signed for.Hickson got a good contract.......that is 1 complaint I have.

I knew we weren't getting D12, I was excited at the fact we were going after a real C, with real scoring, and a real difference maker. What irks me is exactly what Vol4ever said, if this is the best we could do, then there are bigger problems.

I knew we weren't getting D12, I was excited at the fact we were going after a real C, with real scoring, and a real difference maker. What irks me is exactly what Vol4ever said, if this is the best we could do, then there are bigger problems.

What exactly did you/do you have in mind?

Honestly? I am not sure who I expected, but I thought we might actually get a real Center, a SF, or a difference maker. I don't think we got that in the draft, D12 and CP3 were of course a dream but not expected when other teams were going after them and the Doc Rivers signing, and most of the difference makers are gone at this point in FA. So unless we get Bynum on the cheap (I dont trust his knee) or do a SnT, I am not crazy about the moves this year at all.

• Premium Member

So with all of the cap room and cleared roster you are ok with what has been done?

Exactly.

Everytime I think about the fact that we're paying Millsap 9.5 per... I think... This team SUCKS.

We missed out on OJ. We missed out on Iggy. We missed out on Asik. We missed out on anybody who would make us more legitimate than we were last year and then on top of that, we've yet to get a good deal with Teague. IN fact, we're trying to trade him for Chuckers...

This team SUCKS.

Trade Horford Now.

He doesn't deserve this.

So with all of the cap room and cleared roster you are ok with what has been done?

Outside of getting CP3 (who didn't leave LAC) and Howard (who doesn't want to play in Atlanta) what would have made you happy this offseason?