• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For you Parents.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

And guys lets be honest this hawks team right now can beat the Knicks in the playoffs. They just run too much iso and if Melo goes cold it's over

So we COULD BE a 5th seed in the East, IF we beat out NY or a #4 seed if we beat out them and Brooklyn.

Awesome.

That's the part people don't get.

1) Danny Ferry is not interested in the lottery.

2) Millsap = not a loser, Horford = not a loser, Korver = not a loser They are all talented and there are more "not a loser" moves to come

3) Miami, Indiana, NY, Brooklyn, Chicago are all playoff teams. That leaves, worst case scenario, 3 playoff spots for the East. Which of these three teams is better than us: Boston, Milwuakee, Philly, Toronto, Detroit, Washington, Cleveland, Charlotte, or Orlando?

We are going to the playoffs. Barring injury, or a TOTAL meltdown, lottery is not going to be an option now or for the next 2 seasons at least.

Washington passes us and Milwaukee.

• Moderators

People have been touting washington for a decade and they always suck. They will suck again. Milwaukee, to me, looks terrible but I do have faith that LD knows how to make a playoff team out of loose change. To think about what our roster was last year and where we ended up we should be very optimistic this year. Even if our rotation is Teague/Lou/Jenkins/Korver/Carroll/Milsap/Horford and some random vets that's equal to or slightly better than last years squad. this is assuming Bud can coach of course.

The big thing is that we're not done. I don't expect that to be the roster. This ownership needs money. They can't asorb a 5 year rebuild.

• Premium Member

I think, worst case scenario is we fight with Milwuakee for the 6th seed. There are still two more seeds available. So even if both of those teams jump us, we're an 8th seed fighting for 6th-7th.

• Premium Member

Is this what it's come to? I used to cringe at the thought of going through what the Bucks have gone through the past few years. That fight to get to .500 just to say they made the playoffs. If all goes well they'd make it to a 6 seed.

Unfortunately that's where we are now and people are rationalizing it like it's a good thing. I guess the thought is that we'll build from there? I'm usually pretty optimistic, but I just don't see a very talented team unless the rookies come in here and ball out of control in a way no one expects them to.

Man somebody talk me off the ledge here.

I'm just saying...what is the BEST we can hope for THIS year? Bynum. Next year? Millsap, Korver, Lou, Horford all locked up...and you know he's not done. That will likely be the team. Ceiling next year?

I mean, Bud could be a miracle worker and Danny Ferry may be a wonder GM and knows better than all of us. He might get Monta and Bud turns him around. Al Horford might...have a true post game and produce 27PPG and 15rpg, every game, because he's depended on.

We could surpise people.

It's just not a bet I would have made. We will see.

I'm just saying...what is the BEST we can hope for THIS year? Bynum. Next year? Millsap, Korver, Lou, Horford all locked up...and you know he's not done. That will likely be the team. Ceiling next year?

I mean, Bud could be a miracle worker and Danny Ferry may be a wonder GM and knows better than all of us. He might get Monta and Bud turns him around. Al Horford might...have a true post game and produce 27PPG and 15rpg, every game, because he's depended on.

We could surpise people.

It's just not a bet I would have made. We will see.

Wow, pass that around!

• Like 1

What part of the plan is Jennings?

Understand, Jennings is not better than Teague. He wants to be paid 3 times more than Teague. He doesn't do one thing better than Teague.

What part of the plan would Monta be?

Understand, we just let Smoove Walk because he was a chucker who wasn't changing...... eh hmm.

Why does the plan still have Horf at C?

Jennings over Teague doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does some of y'all as long as the money is fairly similar [like Jaywalker says: If neither's gonna be a star (that part is mine), give me the guy with "stones"].

But you are spot on with the other two here D.

[*]Keeping Al at C when he's our best player & clearly wants to be a PF seems like a poor way to begin a "fresh" start.

[*]The Monta pursuit, on the other hand, (unless it's just a smoke screen) reeks of desperation. I don't care if he can be traded later (well, I do, but that isn't enough to justify it).

Not saying Ferry is desperate, or has made bad moves yet, but if he signs Monta, I will.

Typical Squawk banter. If our plan is to turn a team from a 6th seed into a champion in just 12 months under Danny, go ahead with the doom and gloom. We all but lost that option with D12 going to Houston.

• Premium Member

Typical Squawk banter. If our plan is to turn a team from a 6th seed into a champion in just 12 months under Danny, go ahead with the doom and gloom. We all but lost that option with D12 going to Houston.

Well shit dude! lol Ferry's only loading up on short, flexible deals. What's HIS plan? What can you do with scraps gathered every 2 years? We're not aiming for the lottery and realistically, you've got until Al's free agency to figure it out.

I think that defines a window for Danny's intentions, but there goes me assuming again.

Exactly. With Dwight off the board we lost our chance to be a contender this year. We have six draft picks from the past two years to build with, and a flexible cap situation. We have to be a bit more patient.

• Moderators

I think Diesel was fair on Ferry's Cleveland years - they were the main thing worrying me about the hire. I didn't like the approach at the time and hindsight doesn't help it look any better.Ferry is not far enough into his Atlanta tenure to make a good judgement. This wouldn't have been my path but let's see where he goes. I hope I am missing the plan.

Well shit dude! lol Ferry's only loading up on short, flexible deals. What's HIS plan? What can you do with scraps gathered every 2 years? We're not aiming for the lottery and realistically, you've got until Al's free agency to figure it out.

I think that defines a window for Danny's intentions, but there goes me assuming again.

I think with the new wave player movement you have to always be ready to pounce. What's the new wave you my ask? I think there is two types.

Type one: The disgruntled star on the last or next to last year of his deal. Examples: D12, CP3. Melo, and Deron. That new CBA makes it much easier to walk as the UFA can sign a 3 or 4 year deal and still get another great contract before he is considered over the hill.

Type two: The potential three time offender luxury tax penalty. Harden was the first casualty. Teams to watch now will be Chicago, NJ, and NY, and in the not so distant future GSW, Clipps, Kings, and Houston.

All teams being threatened by losing a star or the almost triple tax will be making moves. Some slight like unloading 1st round picks to more drastic moves like dumping high value contracts and players.

I don't think we are done yet; and I also don't think Ferry is gong to screw us with any long range bad contracts.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I think with the new wave player movement you have to always be ready to pounce. What's the new wave you my ask? I think there is two types.

Type one: The disgruntled star on the last or next to last year of his deal. Examples: D12, CP3. Melo, and Deron. That new CBA makes it much easier to walk as the UFA can sign a 3 or 4 year deal and still get another great contract before he is considered over the hill.

Type two: The potential three time offender luxury tax penalty. Harden was the first casualty. Teams to watch now will be Chicago, NJ, and NY, and in the not so distant future GSW, Clipps, Kings, and Houston.

All teams being threatened by losing a star or the almost triple tax will be making moves. Some slight like unloading 1st round picks to more drastic moves like dumping high value contracts and players.

I don't think we are done yet; and I also don't think Ferry is gong to screw us with any long range bad contracts.

Very good points and I agree. Two things you will have to keep in mind though. In the case of the disgruntled star, it's going to come down to where HE wants to go. Known star players will handpick their destination and it will be based upon what they see in place. In other words, will likely depend upon you having an elite talent in place.

In the case of the teams shedding cap? You will get the lesser of their talent. You're not getting Rose or Durant. So, you'll take your chances with the potential budding star and you will ask the questions like, "can he become elite?" and "will be able to step out of the shadows?" Secondly on that, in the case of a SnT or just a guy coming up on FAcy, the question is will he agree to your SnT (wants to come to you) or will he re-sign with you after the trade (CP3 scenario)? In either case, it's going to depend A LOT on how appealing you are to the player.

- City

- Fans

- Management

- History

- Potential to win (team in place already, division, conference, coach)

All of that will come into play. Not saying we can't benefit from either scenario. Just fleshing out what factors will likely come into play.