• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The worst part of this offseason (Teague Vs. Jennings, Zaza, Smoove, etc...)

Colin

Obviously this was a highly-anticipated offseason for Hawks fans (as well as fans of other teams), but I think that one negative that will come from this, especially in the Teague/Jennings situation: the EXTREME amount of "I told you so" moments that the board will see in the next 1-4 years.

Obviously holding an opinion is part of being a fan, and on an online message board your opinion helps to establish your persona. But with the ultimate amount of disagreement on Teague this offseason, I can already imagine after every game just how annoying some posts will be. If Teague leaves and drops 30 & 15 one night, there will be a plethora of posts documenting it. Obviously we had this in the past with Smoove, Marvin, and JJ, but if we really do let Teague Walk and let Jennings take his spot, we will have TWICE the amount of "I told you so" moments per game.

I have already grown a little weary of the bickering on the forum when it is obvious that a lot of people who have commented on players (namely Monta and Jennings) never even watch them play. I am not looking forward to the future as much as I was at the start of the offseason, that is for sure.

• Premium Member

Yeah...

There's some I told you so's coming. You better believe it. Here's why. You don't just let assets walk off and get nothing for them. You don't replace good assets with bad ones. This seems to be Danny Ferry's M.O. Danny is the ultimate Fantasy team GM. He thinks that assets don't mean anything as long as he can put together a team that looks good on paper. That's why he failed in Cleveland. People are giving him a pass on some of the B.S. that we're doing right now because he came up in San Antonio's system.

Well, let me tell you... Without Duncan, San Antonio's system Fails. Just like Utah without Malone. As I look around, I see confusion. We are reportedly looking at Monta and Jennings? Really??

IF you told me you were putting together a team of hard workers.. I would have been on board.

Horford

DMC the alltime great

Millsap

Teague

Those are hard workers...

Even Korver.

But then you turn around and give your attention to Bynum. Monta. and Jennings. Three guys who are on the downward slope of their career and have never really improved the poor parts of their game.

YOU DAMN RIGHT there will be some I told you so's. There will also be some Calling for D-Ferry's head too.

Stu Jackson makes himself available at the right time. He should take a year to get to know the franchise and maybe start to develop a game plan for being a good GM.

Agreed. Zaza was nothing but a warrior for us... and we let him leave.... disrespected?

Yeah, I can understand that a new GM might want to go in a different direction, but to leave players hanging in the dark for so long that they just get disgusted and walk away does not seem to be a way to instill desire for future recruiting purposes.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm not feeling this rebuild at all Hawks brethren. I always try to be optimistic when it comes to the Hawks, but I'm not impressed with the moves I've seen so far. I'm not surprised that Teague asked the Hawks not to match since it's obvious the Hawks never seemed to indicate they wanted him. I'm not sure where this rebuild is headed, but I am by no means a respected GM like DF, so I have to think there's a method to his madness, but riight now I'm confused. Most of the 'casual' fans I know are wondering what the heck the Hawks are doing and I have no answer for them.

• Premium Member

The worst part of the offseason was no clear plan B. Our moves (or lack thereof) smack of panic in the guise of Spur culture establishment IMHO.

Agreed.

We acted like we were going to get Paul and Howard for sure.

When Paul went back to LAC... Ferry had nothing else.

This is Freakin Chess Not Checkers Ferry.

The worst part of the offseason was no clear plan B. Our moves (or lack thereof) smack of panic in the guise of Spur culture establishment IMHO.

I agree with this wholeheartedly... as far as I'm concerned this offseason has pretty much been failure and not because we didn't get CP3 and/or D12. All of the marquee free agents got snatched up pretty quickly while Ferry played the waiting game and now no really desirable players are left IMO.

I agree with this wholeheartedly... as far as I'm concerned this offseason has pretty much been failure and not because we didn't get CP3 and/or D12. All of the marquee free agents got snatched up pretty quickly while Ferry played the waiting game and now no really desirable players are left IMO.

Marquee free agents not named Paul or Howard. Lost me there.

Yeah...

There's some I told you so's coming. You better believe it. Here's why. You don't just let assets walk off and get nothing for them. You don't replace good assets with bad ones.

How many more "The sky is falling" threads are you going to make in the next 24 hours? We couldn't even get Monta Ellis for Josh Smith this past deadline. What assets?

Edited by RWF
  • Like 1

Agreed.

We acted like we were going to get Paul and Howard for sure.

When Paul went back to LAC... Ferry had nothing else.

This is Freakin Chess Not Checkers Ferry.

So Ferry has power to make players come to ATL? Ferry can't use jedi mind tricks on Free Agents...Changing fan culture is challenging - just look at what fans on here, react to moves or lack there of from a fans perspective. End of the day Ferry is doing a good job in year two as GM. Let's wait until the team is completely formed before making unfounded comments...

I think he meant to say free agents that were more attainable and could've actually helped us to some degree.

I don't think we are looking necessarily for "some degree" help. We are looking towards bigger and better things. If a player is not foreseen in our future as a contribution to a contending squad or a trade asset he has no purpose to the Hawks.

Agreed. I think my beef is with Ferry's vision for what should be in our future.

Horford, Millsap, Korver are all championship pedigree. Jenkins, Schröder yet to be seen. Josh and Teague probably not. Zaza maybe.

• Premium Member

How many more "The sky is falling" threads are you going to make in the next 24 hours? We couldn't even get Monta Ellis for Josh Smith this past deadline. What assets?

Oh. So now, it's my fault?? Really?? Look. Ferry is messing up. He has no idea how to be a GM. He has watch Popp with The best recruitment tool in the world (playing with Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili) and thought... I can recruit just like Popp in Atlanta. All I have to do is just lay out the money and FAs will line up to come here.

What???

Ferry is guilty of:

1. Not knowing his own team and our history.

2. Believing too much in Analytics.

3. Not counting the Human factor of desire... and thus not recruiting.

Here's a lesson on GMing from Diesel to Ferry.

1. Communicate your plans with your current players.

None of this would have happened if Ferry would have sat down and talked to the current players before the moratorium was up. He needed a conference with Teague. He needed a conference with Smoove. He needed a conference with Zaza. He needed to let people know where they stand.

Instead, he said nothing and allowed Twitter to be their guide. Then he's surprised that nobody wants to come here. Do you know that Smoove would have helped you recruit if you would have told him. Teague was excited about coach Bud but slowly became disenchanted because Ferry obviously never talked to him. The same thing happened last offseason. Ferry is helping to keep our player reputation bad.

Fans won't get it until Al Horford starts requesting to be traded...

2. Have a plan and a plan B and a Plan C.

When the first plan failed, it seems like we just went to a list and tried to figure out who else was available. We let the Dwightmare keep us from seeking out other players. We could have tried to get Al Jefferson. We could have tried to get Kaman. We could have tried to get some of these 2nd tier guys interest while we were waiting on Dwight. Instead, we let Dwight take his time and when he was through using us, we had nothing to go to.

3. Learn to recruit.

How do you express that you want somebody? If you really wanted somebody, then you should have wooed them. You should have done all that you can to get their attention and keep it. You should have made sure that they knew that this was a chance to be great and that nobody else could give them that. Instead, you just do your Popp imitation and wonder why we come up empty handed. Tell me, who was the last great player San Antonio signed from Free agency?

• Premium Member

So Ferry has power to make players come to ATL? Ferry can't use jedi mind tricks on Free Agents...Changing fan culture is challenging - just look at what fans on here, react to moves or lack there of from a fans perspective. End of the day Ferry is doing a good job in year two as GM. Let's wait until the team is completely formed before making unfounded comments...

The fans here react to moves that could have been done by a 5th grader.

Ferry has done nothing to improve this franchise.

Oh. So now, it's my fault?? Really?? Look. Ferry is messing up. He has no idea how to be a GM. He has watch Popp with The best recruitment tool in the world (playing with Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili) and thought... I can recruit just like Popp in Atlanta. All I have to do is just lay out the money and FAs will line up to come here.

What???

Ferry is guilty of:

1. Not knowing his own team and our history.

2. Believing too much in Analytics.

3. Not counting the Human factor of desire... and thus not recruiting.

History of what? Do you mean the last 6 or so years of us being stuck in the middle of the league? Or before that when we was at the bottom? How about before that when we were the middle again?

The thing is, that many fans "thought" Howard and Paul was coming here. Long shot. Second people need to come to see that Josh Smith and Jeff Teague isn't the be all end all of a championship. He isn't going to lock up players long term that isn't going to win championships.

Screw the "Highlight Factory". Give me championships.