• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It has been 1 year since DF took over. Things we have learn so far.

WraithSentinel

*Feel free to add what we learn.

- Never believe any rumor that has the Hawks are interested in a player. As proven with this year offseason signings. DF will let you know what players Hawks are itnerested in because they will have sign already.

- Tanking is not allowed. Build to compete now while stock piling young talent for the future.

Posted Image

Edited by Braves

He is the same he was in Cleveland.

Great at drafting players.

Great at scouting and finding a system that fits his franchise player.

Terrible at free agency.

Average at trades.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

I don't see the great drafting. John Jenkins is a knockdown shooter that should not be played for long periods unless he is making shots. Scott is very average for the NBA, Lucas will probably be a consistent rotation player in year 3 at best and the German guy still has not played a full NBA season. What I most notice about Ferry is he is still trying to put his stamp on franchise. Sometimes I think he has done too much to have gained so little improvement if any.

Jenkins is a late 1st round pick (23rd), Scott is a 2nd rounder. Those guys are pretty good considering where they are picked.

Those guys really didn't contribute much to wins last year. Neither guy is a NBA starter. They had some spots here and there but to call someone great at drafting I would expect more.

free agency in cleveland is totally different from free agency in atlanta. NOBODY wants to go to cleveland. But man, me made some boneheaded moves in Cleveland; i guess he was forced to do it, though.

for free agency and trades, he needs to get leverage via some means. either he needs a rep or something like the situation in brooklyn or miami to be a magnet for players.

Lucas will probably be a consistent rotation player in year 3 at best and the German guy still has not played a full NBA season.

But Lucas hasn't played a full NBA season either, how did you come to this conclusion, but Shro a completely different one.

I think Ferry deserves at least 3 more years before we can really assess how good he is as a gm. I do think he's done a great job so far. Jenkins and Scott can become useful role players which is just about as much as you can ask for given the position they were taken.

• Like 2

I think that we do need time. based on this analysis, though:

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

he is definitely doing better than the historical average for picks in his range. I just did a quick analysis and I am confident that the players he has picked up are .5-1 sd better than would be expected. what is impressive, though, is the fact that each of his picks have some value and could at least contribute as a deep bench player.

the issues most of us have is that he has gaps or a gap in the roster. we also have money.

He is the same he was in Cleveland.

Great at drafting players.

Great at scouting and finding a system that fits his franchise player.

Terrible at free agency.

Average at trades.

How is he terrible at FA when every media market with a NBA insider is applauding his signings of Millsap, Korver, and Brand?

How is he terrible at FA when every media market with a NBA insider is applauding his signings of Millsap, Korver, and Brand?

Buzz, most people like you don't expect shit out of the Hawks. So the Hawks just doing something is like Charlotte just doing something. It's gets praised even when it doesn't make sense at all.

So much for having expectations of the Hawks. Unlike Cleveland with Bron, just doing shit gets praise here while gets highly evaluated there. Larry Hughes looked like a great signing using adv stats and metrics till you put him next to Bron and took the ball out of his hands. It's going to be fun to see Milsap and Horf without one rim protector on the roster especially for guys like me who know it will be a bad result even if we had great perimeter defenders which we don't have of course.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

supes, one rim protector is brand. noogie might get a few minutes a game? def some problems, though.

a lot of the decisions by cleveland did not make sense. i spend a lot of time in cleveland. even with lebron there, you still can't attract free agents to an armpit like cle.

i remember running in cleveland. i passed baron davis just walking down the street. nobody even looked at him.

they do go to games because there is nothing else to do, and it is easier to get in vs the atl.

We may be a better city for athletes to come to but we're still seen as a loser organization. Our ownership has been mediocre for too long and that's a challenge Ferry is going to have to overcome. At the end if the day I will judge Ferry based on his draft selections and trades. The free agency part is largely out of his hands. So far he has impressed me by keeping us a playoff team that's one key trade away from being something serious. There's a few players who I think may be available in the future (one of which is Harrison Barnes, if he and Thompson grow into the players I think he can, the Warriors won't be able to afford 3 max contracts).

• Like 1

Buzz, most people like you don't expect shit out of the Hawks. So the Hawks just doing something is like Charlotte just doing something. It's gets praised even when it doesn't make sense at all.

So much for having expectations of the Hawks. Unlike Cleveland with Bron, just doing shit gets praise here while gets highly evaluated there. Larry Hughes looked like a great signing using adv stats and metrics till you put him next to Bron and took the ball out of his hands. It's going to be fun to see Milsap and Horf without one rim protector on the roster especially for guys like me who know it will be a bad result even if we had great perimeter defenders which we don't have of course.

You are judging our signings without them playing a game together and acting like Ferry only uses advanced stats to judge a players ability to play ball. One thing I can assure you is Ferry did not sign Hughes for that reason.

Hughes career TS is a pitiful .488 and his career eFG is a very sad .435%. Its sour grapes for you man; because you know we signed good players to great contracts and we are therefore not in tank mode. Go Hawks!

Edited by Buzzard

You are judging our signings without them playing a game together and acting like Ferry only uses advanced stats to judge a players ability to play ball. One thing I can assure you is Ferry did not sign Hughes for that reason.

Hughes career TS is a pitiful .488 and his career eFG is a very sad .435%. Its sour grapes for you man; because you know we signed good players to great contracts and we are therefore not in tank mode. Go Hawks!

Smh, once again, you are using stats out of context like KB21. His TS% the previous season with Washington was .523. 7.7 WS, and he had a 21.6 which was the highest for any free agent that off-season and in the previous two off-seasons. While some questioned his contract year impact, many didn't question his talent which was in the top 15-20 of that NBA season. So while you get on your high horse of misusing statistics, I will say Danny signed who he felt was the best FA by metrics, stats, and talent even if he wasn't consistent with his career chart. You and KB21 have this amazing skill to ingore reality and misuse stats to justify a point that makes zero sense.

If the stats you misused was true in which it is for that reference, that would make Danny Ferry even dumber than what I am saying he was for making that signing right?

• Moderators

Have you ever heard the old saw, "If it don't fit, force it?"

Some believe that, if a free agent will not sign, it's because we didn't try hard enough.

Likewise, they believe the reason we didn't get that great, franchise player in the draft

is because we didn't force someone to trade us that draft pick.

Really! Atlanta can't sign players unwilling to come here. Forcing free agent's to come

here is impossible. Drafting a player when it's not your turn is impossible. Forcing another

team to swap or sell you their draft position is impossible.

Now, really, is our GM doing the best he can with what he has available. I believe he is.

GO HAWKS!

Exactly. Look at Dallas. How much better of a sales pitch can you make than what Cuban does and they are looking really crappy.

One year. You can't judge a GM in one year. We are still in setup mode.

• Like 2