• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bill & Jalen ranks Hawks #22 in the NBA...

ATLscrubLove

Because that's what wins. Entertainment.

No what wins is have a consistent scoring threat, an inside presence for D and rebounding, and someone that the other team does have to focus on. We have none of that. Horford is really good, just not a guy who can take over a game, not a guy that can put the team on his back when it needs it. Look, do I think we could be moving that way? Sure I do. But this year is not the year, and if we strike out on a legitimate scoring threat next season it won't be next year either. I would love for this team to be good, but with this build we don't do anything great, few things really good, and more things just average.

I kind of don't want us to be. Simple truth this team is NOT a watchable team. It doesn't matter if we are ranked 1. We have no star power, no electricity, nothing. Now Schröder in a few year might be one of those guys. Right now? This team is full of yawn. I just don't see this team as anything higher than 15 and anything lower than 27. I would love for a true lottery guy. Apparently trying to buy one in FA isn't going to happen.

Well how was Drew's slow "uptempo" offense and "J-Smoove" dunking once every 20 games watchable?

This team is much more watchable to me. No more bonehead plays that would have YMCA coaches scratching their head... but not Larry Drew.

I have a very high BB IQ as well. I also have 50+ extra pounds on my mid section and a bum ankle.

Korver can't defend anyone 1 on 1.

Horford is undersized at his position, Sap is short for his position with average lateral quicks. They are a defensive nightmare. Smart???? sure! But they are going to get killed inside by 3/4 of the teams in the NBA.

Compare Atlanta's frontline, just size wise, with Detroit.

Horford - 6'10", 250 --- Drummond - 6'11", 279

Millsap - 6'8", 258 --- Monroe - 6'11", 253

Korver - 6'7", 212 --- Smith - 6'9", 225 (lol)

The Hawks give up height and or weight at each of the 3 positions, along with vertical leap, youth and athleticism. To Detroit's front line the Hawks give up 37 lbs (assuming Smith isn't 245) and 6 inches.

This is just one team. Look at Cleveland, NY, NJ, CHI. We are small, very small. Brand can only play so many minutes and when he does, one of these guys goes out. We are going to get killed inside and on the boards.

So only 5 teams out of 30 have a distinct height advantage and you think this is a lottery team? I'm not buying it. And the funny thing is most of us here wouldn't mind us being a lottery team.

Edited by GameTime

Well how was Drew's slow "uptempo" offense and "J-Smoove" dunking once every 20 games watchable?

This team is much more watchable to me. No more bonehead plays that would have YMCA coaches scratching their head... but not Larry Drew.

I find so little exciting about this team...maybe Schröder can get there. I hope. Just not a lot of electricity, not even super solid skills like the Spurs.

This. Thank you. Not sure it was all LD, but damn I won't miss that low IQ bball. Even as disappointing as our preseason has been, I'd still rather this team grow than last year's team shrink into nothing when the game (or series) is on the line.

• Moderators

I wanted us to go dip in the lottery after we missed on the big FAs but this team will be in the bottom half of the playoff teams in the East and will probably exit in the first round of the playoffs. I am predicting a 6th seed but the 5-9 spots are all within the range of reasonable outcomes assuming the team and its competition aren't absolutely devastated by injuries, etc.

Saying we are #22 in the league is poor basketball analysis. That would put us at the #8 pick in the draft next year. Here are the wins for those teams:

2013 - 29 wins for the #8 pick (Det)

2012 - 23 wins for the #8 pick (Tor)

2011 - 30 wins for the #8 pick (Det)

2010 - 29 wins for the #8 pick (LAC)

2009 - 32 wins for the #8 pick (NYK)

So for the last 5 years that translates into 28.6 wins per season. Am I honestly shocked that some people are sitting there saying, "that's about right" and thinking that anyone expecting more is a homer.

This is the type of low-ball season prediction that Atlanta sees every year and exceeds every year. They see it every year because the "experts" that make them don't follow the team and just don't care enough to get educated. It is laziness.

(As examples of this, they are predicting that Carroll won't start and will be the backup PF; Lou will start instead of coming off the bench; Mike Scott won't be in the rotation; etc. For our new players, they didn't know their names and just referred to them by "the Brazilian guy" and "the German guy" and spent more time on Bebe's hair than on Schröder's dominating summer. How do you analyze the team without a sense of who is in the rotation and who is on the roster?)