• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bill & Jalen ranks Hawks #22 in the NBA...

ATLscrubLove

Don't forget the 5 minute discussion of the Gold Club. Geez. Did they know this was being filmed?

Lol - Honestly I fast forwarded thru most of it. Lol.Can't stand Bill Simmonds voice it just irritates me and makes me wanna slap him. Lol

• Premium Member

I'm sorry...but 22nd is a really clueless and lazy prediction. We'd have to miss the playoffs which means we'd REALLY have to slide and 2 or 3 teams would have to rise out of the lottery cellar.

We didn't lose our best player - that's Horford. We did lose our biggest headache...and replaced him with a guy who is at a MINIMUM...comparatively productive. We retained one of the best 3 point shooters in the league, one of our best scorers is returning, and we've added a few hustle guys. We have a team FULL of no-nonsense, hard working, veterans...and a coach who has studied under a championship team for nearly 2 decades.

How exactly does that equate to lottery? Barring a major injury, I would be SHOCKED if we fell lower than the 6th seed in the East. ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED...and that prediction is dumb.

(Coming from a guy who is not at all excited about the direction we're going in.)

• Like 2

A little over-optimistic, but I like it. He must be basing this off of the assumption none of our core players will miss a game and Lou coming back with no rust. The Parker and Teauge career trend comparison is intriguing. I'm not a Parker fan at all. I think he'd be a career backup journeyman if not for Pop's System (Barbosa-ish). I think Teague could be better on all fronts besides Parker's miraculous shooting percentage years. Free agents have made a habit of having their best years here: I don't see how Milsap's, Al's, and Jeff's best seasons to date can't all intersect this year. And he sounds like a Kyle fan, smart man. Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I took away the same thing Ben did. It's a LITTLE over-optimistic, but it's a much better overall evaluation of what we've done and where we're going. What gets under my skin is how part of the national perspective is that we're "rebuilding." In the same way that some people in here don't get it, those guys don't get it. Time will tell if it's a smart move or not, but our team is built to compete NOW.

The Horford/Teague comparisons to Duncan/Parker are off, simply because we're talking about two phenomenal scorers, inside and out. I think Spurs-lite is a fair statement, but at the same time...I expect Spurs-lite results in the standings. Which is right in the middle of the pack.

I loved Josh Smith's defense moreso than most people on the board. But his rim protection will not be missed. Because he stopped being a rim protector long ago. Rim protectors change the complexion of the game. Guys who block shots are just that. It's akin to the difference between a guy like Korver that can hit 3 point shots...and a guy like Reggie Miller that can OWN you with 3 point shots.

We will miss the highlight blocks, his passing, his steals, his above the rim play, and his energy...MOST of that is negated to me when you consider how many shots he took, his shot selection, and his shooting % outside the paint. I fully expect an addition by subtraction.

What I don't expect is that we have enough firepower to either a) trade baskets with the best or b) cut through the top defensive teams in the East. Our own defense will be adequate, but I don't see enough here to expect anything more (or less for that matter) than a middle seed.

A little over-optimistic, but I like it. He must be basing this off of the assumption none of our core players will miss a game and Lou coming back with no rust. The Parker and Teauge career trend comparison is intriguing. I'm not a Parker fan at all. I think he'd be a career backup journeyman if not for Pop's System (Barbosa-ish). I think Teague could be better on all fronts besides Parker's miraculous shooting percentage years. Free agents have made a habit of having their best years here: I don't see how Milsap's, Al's, and Jeff's best seasons to date can't all intersect this year. And he sounds like a Kyle fan, smart man.

If Teague can be anywhere near as good around the basket and going to the hole as Parker, then he will be an All Star this season and we will definitely make the playoffs.

Agreed

We don't know what this team can do. Stop being a homer

This team is one big push. It's not at all better but it's also not worse, just one big bird of prey nestled warmly in its tree of mediocrity. Barring Bud being the worst coach in the league or some unforeseen injury, it's safe to say that we pretty much know what this team can do, we've already seen it for oh about 6 years now.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Here's something I have to think because to think otherwise would be madness:

Horford

Millsap

Korver

Each of them have an individual basketball IQ of A to A+

No one can tell me with those three guys starting that if they stay healthy this team does not at LEAST make the playoffs. You then add average NBA starting talent in Teague and a great veteran off the bench in Brand and this team doesn't make the playoffs? In the EAST??

• Like 3

Here's something I have to think because to think otherwise would be madness:

Horford

Millsap

Korver

Each of them have an individual basketball IQ of A to A+

No one can tell me with those three guys starting that if they stay healthy this team does not at LEAST make the playoffs. You then add average NBA starting talent in Teague and a great veteran off the bench in Brand and this team doesn't make the playoffs? In the EAST??

I have a very high BB IQ as well. I also have 50+ extra pounds on my mid section and a bum ankle.

Korver can't defend anyone 1 on 1.

Horford is undersized at his position, Sap is short for his position with average lateral quicks. They are a defensive nightmare. Smart???? sure! But they are going to get killed inside by 3/4 of the teams in the NBA.

Compare Atlanta's frontline, just size wise, with Detroit.

Horford - 6'10", 250 --- Drummond - 6'11", 279

Millsap - 6'8", 258 --- Monroe - 6'11", 253

Korver - 6'7", 212 --- Smith - 6'9", 225 (lol)

The Hawks give up height and or weight at each of the 3 positions, along with vertical leap, youth and athleticism. To Detroit's front line the Hawks give up 37 lbs (assuming Smith isn't 245) and 6 inches.

This is just one team. Look at Cleveland, NY, NJ, CHI. We are small, very small. Brand can only play so many minutes and when he does, one of these guys goes out. We are going to get killed inside and on the boards.

• Like 2

Hawks will still a playoff team by the end of the season. Top 16 team at least.

I kind of don't want us to be. Simple truth this team is NOT a watchable team. It doesn't matter if we are ranked 1. We have no star power, no electricity, nothing. Now Schröder in a few year might be one of those guys. Right now? This team is full of yawn. I just don't see this team as anything higher than 15 and anything lower than 27. I would love for a true lottery guy. Apparently trying to buy one in FA isn't going to happen.

I kind of don't want us to be. Simple truth this team is NOT a watchable team. It doesn't matter if we are ranked 1. We have no star power, no electricity, nothing. Now Schröder in a few year might be one of those guys. Right now? This team is full of yawn. I just don't see this team as anything higher than 15 and anything lower than 27. I would love for a true lottery guy. Apparently trying to buy one in FA isn't going to happen.

Because that's what wins. Entertainment.

• Like 1