• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SI Proposes Korver (ATL) for Henderson (CHA) Trade

AHF

• Moderators

3. Hawks, Bobcats swap underrated guards

Bobcats acquire: Kyle KorverHawks acquire: Gerald Henderson

This is a pretty clean swap from a salary standpoint, making the motivations for this deal almost solely a function of talent and fit (rare in the NBA these days). Charlotte’s angle is simple: A team that ranks 28th in the league in three-point attempts per game and in the bottom half of the league in three-point percentage guns for one of the best shooters in the league. Korver isn’t just a spot-shooting type to park in the corner, but a player who actively creates space for his teammates by curling into potential shots. When Korver moves, so too does the defense; opposing wings have to chase him, opposing bigs have to shade in his direction, and structurally an entire defense can be compromised just by tilting toward the threat of a Korver catch-and-shoot. That makes him one of the league’s foremost facilitators for post play and dribble penetration, both of which are hugely important for a team that features Al Jefferson and Kemba Walker.

Plus, it’s becoming increasingly clear that the trio of Walker, Henderson, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist just doesn’t — and may never — command enough attention on the perimeter to keep defenses honest. None among them is even a league-average three-point shooter, though Walker is closest and Kidd-Gilchrist is otherwise Charlotte’s most promising individual defender. That makes Henderson the odd man out for both his and the Bobcats’ sake, as no one in Charlotte is much empowered by lineups devoid of floor spacing. Korver is something of a one-man fix in that department, with the passing skill and defensive competence necessary to round out his contributions.

Henderson, in turn, would land with the Hawks — a team that could make excellent use of his versatile game. Together with Paul Millsap and the injured Al Horford, Henderson would add to an incredibly well-rounded core. None among them is a superstar, though Horford, Millsap, and Henderson can all defend, can all play pick-and-roll, can all move without the ball, can all work from the post, and can all shoot. The basis of their team would be stout and flexible, which would then allow Hawks GM Danny Ferry to chase players at other positions with more idiosyncratic games or specific needs. Korver’s broad offensive value provided some of that same quality, though Atlanta both upgraded its wing defense and imported some creative dynamism in the move wile landing a player six years Korver’s junior. Even without looking too far forward, Henderson’s gradual build would seem to make more sense for a Hawks team with plenty of construction left to do.

http://nba.si.com/2014/02/17/2014-nba-trade-deadline-trades-greg-monroe-evan-turner/2/

(click the link for the entire article)

I would hate to see this trade. I don't like SG's that can't shoot as starters.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Kyle has not given much lately, and although I like him, I would make this deal. Henderson is a big 6-5 strong guard who can go to the basket and he is a decent shooter from 15 in. Lord knows our perimeter defense is one of the worst in the league and Henderson plays defense.

I know Kyle is a favorite here, but he is just too one dimensional for a building team. Do it.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Henderson would be an upgrade on D. He is just so thoroughly mediocre (at best) on offense that he is going to be coming off the bench for any team with a decent backcourt and if we get a superior 2 then he brings very little to the table (and if we don't get a superior 2 then we aren't going anywhere anyway). Korver's ability to spread the floor brings as much impact and is a much better fit for an eventual reserve role on a good team.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Still the thing that strikes me is how every national trade rumor involving the Hawks is based on how one of our players would be a great addition to the other team and in a somehow less perfect and vague way it would be ok for the Hawks too.

Posted Image

Please don't do this...ever. Henderson is a good defender and player but Korver opens it up for everybody else. We can't afford to do this. Plus sending Korver to the Bobcats would be showing serious disrespect lol

• Moderators

One of the underrated things about Kyle is hrs it forces defenses to stay on him and helps open up the post...Henderson does not do that

Henderson inability to shoot the ball does the opposite - it contracts the floor which is a problem on that Charlotte team.

• Like 1

I don't know. I haven't actually watched Henderson play in a while. Seems like our offensive is based on having 4-5 guys who can hit the three so i'm not sure this is Bud's type of wing. Still the thing that strikes me is how every national trade rumor involving the Hawks is based on how one of our players would be a great addition to the other team and in a somehow less perfect and vague way it would be ok for the Hawks too.

Ya exactly. Why does every source want to screw us all the time. I'm just waiting to read a trade rumor to benefit us or at least be a fair trade.

Hey guys, what is going on with the sporting world today?

MLB? Still no Spring Training.

NFL? Not even close to thinking about the combine.

NHL? Is that even a sport, whatever doesn't matte because it is on a break.

NCAAB? I guess we have a few hoops games tonight.

NBA? No games, BUT WE CAN PUT OUT DRIVEL ON THE TRADE DEADLINE!

Let's go with the trade rumors.

Hey guys, what is going on with the sporting world today?

MLB? Still no Spring Training.

NFL? Not even close to thinking about the combine.

NHL? Is that even a sport, whatever doesn't matte because it is on a break.

NCAAB? I guess we have a few hoops games tonight.

NBA? No games, BUT WE CAN PUT OUT DRIVEL ON THE TRADE DEADLINE!

Let's go with the trade rumors.

XXII Olympic Winter Games???

• Like 2

• Admin

Henderson inability to shoot the ball does the opposite - it contracts the floor which is a problem on that Charlotte team.

excatly, which is why I wouldn't do the trade. Even when kk is off he is still contributing forcing defenses to be honest. Our big men benefit from that
  • Like 1

This is a tough one because like the article stated Korver is more than just a spot up shooter and I like what he brings to the team.Henderson would definitely upgrade the SG position in terms of another ball handler who can actually penetrate and get his own shot and also a definite upgrade defensively.Anybody know who our shooting coach is? Maybe they can help Henderson with his shot similar to DMC.I don't know that I do this deal because like @macdaddy said 'why are these trades more about helping the other team rather than helping the Hawks. Throw in a 1st with it and I'm giood, lol.

• Premium Member

Player Pts Asst Reb Per

Kyle 11.8 2.9 4.0 9.42

Gerald 15.1 2.7 4.2 13.42

So, you would be trading Kyle's 3pt shooting for defense, penetration, and a mid range shot.

Its obvious by the rumors that DF is looking for a SG.

Edited by Vol4ever

• Premium Member

We need to get a first back for Korver. Not some "shooting" guard that can't shoot. It FLOORS me reading all these wonderful things Korver for would do for Charlotte...and some vague blathering about all around play helping Atlanta. Do what now? if Henderson's all around play was working in Charlotte...why trade him in the first place?

• Premium Member

Because Kidd Gilchrist is the duplicate of Henderson and they need 3 pt shooting. We need a player that can break down the defense and he gives us a midrange game at the 2 we don't have.

and don't forget how bad our perimeter defense is.......

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 1

Im only doing this trade if they throw in more than just Henderson. I mean lets be fair Henderson is the complete opposite of Korver, so its fair to say that this is the same or similar conversation we had with DMC vs Korver.

Henderson like DMC is of course better at defense than Korver but to be fair its not hard to be better at defense than Korver though I do appreciate Korvers hustle on the defensive end he will always be an below to average defender at best. BUT when it comes to offense Korver is on a complete different level than DMC and Henderson as they aren't great shooters and they won't keep defenses honest.

So here we go Henderson provides better defense which is something we need BUT he isn't a great shooter or even a good shooter in my opinion and thats where he's a liability. Korver on the other hand fits buds system and gives us exactly what we need on offense…….

At the end of the day unless the pot is sweeten I could care less that Henderson is younger and more athletic or even a better defender because the name of the game is to put the ball in the hole and Henderson isn't a liable person to do that like korver. Maybe we can change Henderson into a better shooter but I wouldn't count on it.

If you like defense: you love this deal for Henderson

If you believe that the offense: will indeed struggle you will want to hold on to Korver, at least until a better deal comes along.