• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons moves and who will we draft.

Diesel

He measures out damn near identical to JJ Watt, doesn't have anywhere near the motor JJ has tho. Love the pick bc this guy has loads of potential.

• Moderators

I dunno how our older Squawkers handled 6/7 rounds of NBA drafts! 2 is mind-numbing enough!

Dezmon Southward was rated higher than the guy I wanted (Tre Boston), and is a sure tackler if commenters are to be believed. Sounds good to me! Not sure if he can compete for the starting FS spot right away (Lowery?), but he'll be good and groomed for the spot by 2015.

~lw3

I wasn't thrilled with the Southward pick but I guess I can learn to love him. Think there was better value still on the board at that point

Several media sites state the Falcons tried to trade back in to the lst round to get Dee Ford. However, the could not get a deal done with the Eagles with the 22pick.

• Moderators

I dunno how our older Squawkers handled 6/7 rounds of NBA drafts! 2 is mind-numbing enough!

Dezmon Southward was rated higher than the guy I wanted (Tre Boston), and is a sure tackler if commenters are to be believed. Sounds good to me! Not sure if he can compete for the starting FS spot right away (Lowery?), but he'll be good and groomed for the spot by 2015.

~lw3

First thing I said when ESPN was talking about the Southward pick was "Cool, he wraps up when he tackles. Good enough for me." I get so tired of watching DB's trying to truck ball handlers instead of properly tackling them. Proper tackling techniques and fundamentals good a long way for a defense.

I've happy with every pick that the Falcons have made so far. I feel they're finally going after needs instead of names. I'll take fundamentals over highlights any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid draft so far. Mathews could be a all-pro by year three. The two defensive draft picks, most sites give us a B. Hageman's motor is a question mark but all the physical tools are there. Southward is raw, did not start playing football until his senior year in HS. But he has good size and I think great speed, 4.38 40, for a strong safety.

We are obviously drafting for need; but paying more attention to the physical ability with the hope the mental side and technique comes with age/maturity. I think this is why Nix dropped so far. He is a talent; but being overweight and out of condition is not a football strength; its both a physical and mental weakness.

Edited by Buzzard

Hageman was projected to go top 15 by most and we got the guy with a second round pick. This is why I was so happy they didn't trade up, keep building with depth and not just one player. Great great draft so far. The more I research Southward the more I like him. TD and Pioli have made me happy so far, hope we continue this on day 3

• Like 2

• Moderators

Cool story on Devonta.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/5/9/devonta-freeman-draft.html

the first Florida State running back to run for 1,000 yards in a season since Warrick Dunn did it in 1996, breaking the longest drought for a program at the Football Bowl Subdivision level.

~lw3

I like your thinking LW3 lol. I hope we get jones, I think smith is just way to small.

Best draft I can remember in my time as a fan. I wasn't exactly thrilled about the southward pick at first but after looking him up I'm digging him a well. Not one pick that I didn't like. I'm smiling thinking about this upcoming season.

• Like 1

I think you're sleeping on freeman. Williams is already on the roster in Steven Jackson, freeman is more of a Ray Rice or Doug Martin type. I loved the pick

Steven Jackson is old as far as RBs are concerned and was hurt often. We lost Jason Snelling too. We needed another power back as opposed to a scat back. Not to say Freeman wont be good, but I think Williams would have done more to alleviate our redzone struggles.

Edited by EazyRoc

I feel you man....I just feel that the work that we have done on the oline will fix the redzone problems. Freeman I think is going to be a beast, I LOVED the pick.

I am loving this draft!!! Only thing we did not accomplish was grabbing a Tight End but I have not given up hope for Levine. Freeman was a flat out steal and was probably the best pass catching running back in this draft.

• Like 1