• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons moves and who will we draft.

Diesel

• Premium Member

For months I've been expecting that the Falcons go after Clowney in a trade up. It seems like a perfect match for the 3-4.

However, we have made some moves during FAcy....

So here's my question.

Is it smarter to go with Khalil Mack or Clowney now that we have shown up our D-Line??

I will repeat what I've been saying from the beginning....we go with a OL first round and get a pass rusher later. No way we trade up, that would be the worst thing possible in this deep of a draft, we need all of our picks...to many holes to fill. If Robinson and Matthews are gone then you go with Mack but if they're there there's no way you pass on them. After beefing the lines up the way we did we can get an edge rusher in the second round (ford, Murphy, the guy from GT can be had in the 3rd, can't spell his name tho lol, etc....)

First round we definitely go with the best pick available. There's no need to trade up for Clowney when there will be a great prospect at a position of need when we draft at 6. I wouldn't be upset with an OLB or LT. What I'm hoping is a player like Attachou slips into the 2nd round when we pick again. The Falcons will probably be better rushing the passer just by adding a guy like Solaia, but if we can pick up 2 OLB in this draft we could have a really tough defense. We have several positions of need and I wouldn't mind us taking a swing at QB later in the draft too. Matt Ryan could get hurt and we need someone that we can showcase when he does. A 4th or 5th round pick could be flipped into a 2nd or 1st.

For months I've been expecting that the Falcons go after Clowney in a trade up. It seems like a perfect match for the 3-4.

However, we have made some moves during FAcy....

So here's my question.

Is it smarter to go with Khalil Mack or Clowney now that we have shown up our D-Line??

Clowney is a perfect fit for a 4-3 defense.........not a 3-4. He is good enough to play either but he is obviously more comfortable with his hand in the dirt as a 4-3 DE then a stand up 3-4 LB.

Atlanta is not changing defenses any way. We have always run a hybrid defense with 3 lineman and 4 lineman looks under our current DC. Now we actually have a NT who fits the 3-4 better.

I can't see us trading up since we need possibly 4 starters out of this draft ( pass rusher , OT, TE, FS).

I can see us trading back before we trade up. If Mack and Robinson are both gone at #6 then I'd bet we trade back and attempt to fill all 3 holes before pick #37.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Clowney is a perfect fit for a 4-3 defense.........not a 3-4. He is good enough to play either but he is obviously more comfortable with his hand in the dirt as a 4-3 DE then a stand up 3-4 LB.

Atlanta is not changing defenses any way. We have always run a hybrid defense with 3 lineman and 4 lineman looks under our current DC. Now we actually have a NT who fits the 3-4 better.

I can't see us trading up since we need possibly 4 starters out of this draft ( pass rusher , OT, TE, FS).

I can see us trading back before we trade up. If Mack and Robinson are both gone at #6 then I'd bet we trade back and attempt to fill all 3 holes before pick #37.

It is so sad that we have to talk about finding a new TE. It had just slipped my mind. The days will be rough...

Toilolo will be serviceable. We need to take a swing at WR late in the draft since Julio is injury prone. FS is a need and it looks like we have several we might be interested in since we haven't signed a FA. However, I think picking up a few 3-4 OLBs has got to be our priority.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the saints don't match the offer sheet and we get to actually sign Rafael Bush which would free us up to make other moves in the draft. We won't need to take a safety with a high pick and could really solidify our OL and pass rush....also taking a crack at a TE a little earlier. LOVE this offseason so far.

Are the Falcons serious about Chris Johnson? I heard they were one of the lead teams looking at him. That would be really interesting. I remember how Marshawn Lynch's career was revived when he went to Seattle. No more Snelling and SJax's health seams like a consistent risk. That could pay off if we manage to talk down the price enough

After living in Nashville over the last 4 years I can tell you that's it's very unlikely that Chris will come down on his price. The guy thinks VERY highly of himself and that's cool but doubt he's a falcon before the season starts. Really we need to address this thing in the draft. We've been putting band aids on our running game since TD got here. He hit it out of the park with turner and tried to do it again with Jackson. Let's just draft a back in the later rounds and hope to strike gold.

After living in Nashville over the last 4 years I can tell you that's it's very unlikely that Chris will come down on his price. The guy thinks VERY highly of himself and that's cool but doubt he's a falcon before the season starts. Really we need to address this thing in the draft. We've been putting band aids on our running game since TD got here. He hit it out of the park with turner and tried to do it again with Jackson. Let's just draft a back in the later rounds and hope to strike gold.

Would love to find a young stud in the later rounds. I just worry since I feel the Falcons are in kind of win now mode and RB is a very important position to get production from. Ryan is an average quarterback when he has no run game and a great one when there is a balanced offensive attack. If we get an OT in first, LB in second, and best availables after that, I'd be happy taking a chance on CJ.

I am not a Falcons fan (although I am a Hawks fan), but I write for a Cowboys blog on Fansided. I just did a mock draft that gets published tomorrow. I have the Falcons taking Mack. It makes the most sense for their needs and it instantly helps this team in covering the flats as well as a pass rush.

Cowboys fan? I'm so sorry.

Yea, been a painful few years. I was a fan through the 1-15 season though so it could be a lot worse.

Sportdfw.com if you want to see the mock.

Saints matched the offer for bush a couple of days ago do thatbipens the need for safety right back up. Don't see us moving up for clowney...too many holes!

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I want Clowney, I'd rather stay put. We have too many holes to trade up and could fill a position of need by staying put. I think the possibility of an early run on QBs will make the Texans go with Bortles or Manziel. Thinking guys like Garapolo or Carr will just be sitting around magically until the 2nd round is dangerous.