• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Graduation

GrimeyKidd

Thanks guys! Whats next is Majoring in graphic design at any college that accepts me.

Congrats! If you need any advice on that let me know. I got my first degree in graphic / web design at the art institute many years ago. Good school and you're almost guaranteed a job after graduating.

• Like 1

Congrats! If you need any advice on that let me know. I got my first degree in graphic / web design at the art institute many years ago. Good school and you're almost guaranteed a job after graduating.

thanks man. Im actually really hoping to goto west georgia(hate going far from my mama lol) and hopefully my gf come too
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Grimey, congratulations. at the risk of being presumptuous, may I add to some of the advice here?

Wurder's right... most of us are poor as we get out on our own, but you virtually assure yourself of avoiding being poor in the long term if you'll merely do three things: (1) graduate HS... (2) get married in your 20s instead of your teens... and (3) not have any kids until you're married. You're a third of the way there.

Also, my own story is that I came out of high school knowing that I wanted to design logos for a living, so graphic design was mainly what I had set in my own sights. 4.5 years later, I graduated from Marshall with an undergraduate degree in Advertising/Journalism, and went to Nashville to get a job, having some friends there who I knew would be a great social support if I landed in that town. I'd sent out letters a few weeks before, and when I arrived, I followed-up with phone calls to set appointments. I took my portfolio around, proudly showing off, among other things, my senior year work having been named by the faculty at Marshall to serve as Creative Director for our university's AAF competition campaign. After a week of visiting a variety of potential employers, I had one minimum-wage offer to show for it, and even it was tentative as I recall. I didn't take it.

Today, I'm in a very different career, but one that on occasion gives me the pleasure of design work.

There's much more to the story in-between, of course, but that's enough to support my premise here... love what you love to do, but have your eyes wide open to the whole picture. In my case, if I'd been honest with myself how much I value job security and how little job security there is in the field I chose, I maybe would have been more open to some other kinds of majors/opportunities, and would have settled into something stable a few years before I did. Do your research. It's fairly routine that I'm in a position to speak to guys and girls like yourself, and I often refer them to this site as a starting point: http://www.mynextmove.org .

Good luck to you, friend. You've found the right NBA team to support... now find the right major/career... hehe.

• Like 2

Grimey, congratulations. at the risk of being presumptuous, may I add to some of the advice here?

Wurder's right... most of us are poor as we get out on our own, but you virtually assure yourself of avoiding being poor in the long term if you'll merely do three things: (1) graduate HS... (2) get married in your 20s instead of your teens... and (3) not have any kids until you're married. You're a third of the way there.

Also, my own story is that I came out of high school knowing that I wanted to design logos for a living, so graphic design was mainly what I had set in my own sights. 4.5 years later, I graduated from Marshall with an undergraduate degree in Advertising/Journalism, and went to Nashville to get a job, having some friends there who I knew would be a great social support if I landed in that town. I'd sent out letters a few weeks before, and when I arrived, I followed-up with phone calls to set appointments. I took my portfolio around, proudly showing off, among other things, my senior year work having been named by the faculty at Marshall to serve as Creative Director for our university's AAF competition campaign. After a week of visiting a variety of potential employers, I had one minimum-wage offer to show for it, and even it was tentative as I recall. I didn't take it.

Today, I'm in a very different career, but one that on occasion gives me the pleasure of design work.

There's much more to the story in-between, of course, but that's enough to support my premise here... love what you love to do, but have your eyes wide open to the whole picture. In my case, if I'd been honest with myself how much I value job security and how little job security there is in the field I chose, I maybe would have been more open to some other kinds of majors/opportunities, and would have settled into something stable a few years before I did. Do your research. It's fairly routine that I'm in a position to speak to guys and girls like yourself, and I often refer them to this site as a starting point: http://www.mynextmove.org .

Good luck to you, friend. You've found the right NBA team to support... now find the right major/career... hehe.

Thank You. Ill certainly remember this

That's great man! West Ga is a good school and not as expensive as others. Good choice! If at all possible, I'd do it without student loans. Even if it takes a year or two longer, better those few years than having to deal with student loan debt for many more. Wishing you the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations !! Here's some advice from the old man around here. Choose

a vocation that you enjoy. Having that great paying job and hating every minute

that you are at work is not good.

On picking that mate for life, remember this. Real beauty comes from inside.

If she can't be your best friend, keep looking.

There's an old saying that might ring true for you: "Lookin' don't last, cookin do!"

If she's too lazy to do her part to make a family, keep looking. If you think she will

make a great mother, congratulations! You're on the right track.

• Like 1

Congratulations !! Here's some advice from the old man around here. Choose

a vocation that you enjoy. Having that great paying job and hating every minute

that you are at work is not good.

On picking that mate for life, remember this. Real beauty comes from inside.

If she can't be your best friend, keep looking.

There's an old saying that might ring true for you: "Lookin' don't last, cookin do!"

If she's too lazy to do her part to make a family, keep looking. If you think she will

make a great mother, congratulations! You're on the right track.

her cookin sure does last ha. Thank you everyone for congratulating me

On a serious note, the college prison education complex has become quite a bit back breaking with the cost of tuition somewhat forcing folks into picking a major and career right off the bat. High school seniors these days are making even bigger life decisions at the end of prom than I did and to be frank, it is rather ridiculous expecting 17/18 year olds who needed permission to go to the bathroom a week ago to make such a serious commitment. I suggest that if you can, feel your way around in school. Get to know others in other majors, join clubs outside of your comfort zone and take electives on topics that you find interesting outside of graphic design. It's good knowing what you want to do but it also helps getting a taste of other things too before settling on that being your favorite flavor.

• Moderators

Just wanted to let you guys know i just graduated from high school today(technically yesterday im writing this at 3 am). Time for life huh.

Congrats! Enjoy these next steps!

gf did ai as well. she struggled at first, but is money now. the key is real world experience, apparently.

• Like 1