• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Heat and Spurs stole Coach Buds blueprint?

JTB

I'm kidding!!!! No one stole our blue print I just wanted to catch your attention hawksquawk!

Anyone pay attention to how both the heat and spurs beat their conference final opponent?...well let's review.

Heat:

When bird man was injured it actually made the heat harder to defend when they inserted rashard Lewis into the starting lineup. Lewis and bosh played very well together and spreaded the floor for lebron. Biggest key is that west and Hibbert couldn't close out on them on the perimeter and lebron plus others had plenty of chances to attack the goal without the rim protector being there for the majority of the game.

Spurs:

When ibaka returned for OKC, they got their rim protector back and with his presence that stopped the spurs from getting so many points in the paint in games 3 & 4. But then coach pop outsmarted coach brooks by starting big man 3 point threat Matt bonner in games 5 & 6 and even though bonner didn't have great games he did two things 1. Moved ibaka away from the rim 2. Allowed the hall of famer Duncan to go one on one against the shot blocker in the post and the old man delivered.

Conclusion:

This ain't no cry out for hawes. This is a point that rim protectors aren't necessarily the way of a championship! Now I do believe you need a rim protector but you also need that BIG that can spread the floor and take that rim protector completely out of the game.

To me this is more evidence that it's more important to have quality BIGS probably more than any other position. While I'm hoping we get hawes, I also want Hill and bebe on the hawks next year as well. But to be realistic I would be just as happy to have this big man rotation come next season:

Horford-Sap-Antić-Hill or Asik-Bebe

(Horford) is an overall good Big who I hear is adding the 3 point shot to his game for when we need it and I'm sure he will be a better post scorer next season.

(Sap) is quick power forward who can really do it all offensively.

(Antić) will improve his 3 point shot

(Hill) is just a flat out hustler, just a great backup big for today's nba

(Asik or Bebe) here's our rim protector we need, both should be able to alter shots while asik gives you great rebounding as well.

I think the key to a nba championship is our big man rotation and big man scheme against certain teams.

I agree that a shot blocker can be neutralized, but we still need more options on offense. I doubt they come here, but Carmelo Anthony or Rudy Gay would put us over the top.

We have a great offense, but just about every (contending) team gets to a point where they have to rely on one player to get it done for them. In your examples, San Antonio used Duncan down the stretch to win the game. Is there anyone on this team who you can give the ball, and be confident they score? I can't say that we have that player. If we did, we would have beat the Pacers. Horford is good, but he hasn't shown that he's that type of player.

I do agree that we don't need to make changes to our front line. Horford and Millsap give us 2 players who can get 20-10 most nights, which most other teams cannot boast. Teague also gives another great player (when he's locked in of course). We need to find a good player on the wings and add someone like Hill.

Edited by nathan2331

I truly believe if we had Al, we'd be in the Finals. Hill and Hibbert is a totally opposite end of the spectrum from Teague and Al versus the Heat and the two positions they struggle with. Al can provide most of the things that Timmy can minus the legendary pedigree. If Pop had Kyle, they probably have a little easier road up to this point. Boris has given them everything they need from him and more. The way Pop created gross mismatches for him in the post on guards then turns right back around and has him stretching the floor was beautiful.

I'm not opposed to Monroe giving us that dump-down presence in the fourth that we need, not so sure Sap, Al, or Pero can provide it as it stands today or any other of the available Big Men we've been debating. I expect the Spurs Big Man rotation of Tim, Splitter, Diaw, and even Baynes will be deployed at the right times this time by Pop (and not take them off the floor when the biggest defensive rebound of the season has to be gotten) and finish what they should've last year.

Edited by benhillboy

There is no possible way that Rudy Gay is that player.

When Gay plays within himself (ie: not on the perimeter) he's a legit number one player. The player I saw in Sacramento was a player put in a position to succeed. Get him going to the paint and he gets you points efficiently.

I truly believe if we had Al, we'd be in the Finals. Hill and Hibbert is a totally opposite end of the spectrum from Teague and Al versus the Heat and the two positions they struggle with. Al can provide most of the things that Timmy can minus the legendary pedigree. If Pop had Kyle, they probably have a little easier road up to this point. Boris has given them everything they need from him and more. The way Pop created gross mismatches for him in the post on guards then turns right back around and has him stretching the floor was beautiful.

I'm not opposed to Monroe giving us that dump-down presence in the fourth that we need, not so sure Sap, Al, or Pero can provide it as it stands today or any other of the available Big Men we've been debating. I expect the Spurs Big Man rotation of Tim, Splitter, Diaw, and even Baynes will be deployed at the right times this time by Pop (and not take them off the floor when the biggest defensive rebound of the season has to be gotten) and finish what they should've last year.

Yeah man that front line is key....I'm all for keeping the cheaper 3pt threat Antić over hawes, but I would like a post scorer presence either from someone the hawks pick up or horford simply getting better. Also lineup changes are important and it should always be about winning,if we need sap coming off the bench then bud should have him off the bench! I want the hawks to suck in as much spurs mentality as they can cause that team is unselfish and they just do and accept whatever to win.

I agree that a shot blocker can be neutralized, but we still need more options on offense. I doubt they come here, but Carmelo Anthony or Rudy Gay would put us over the top.

We have a great offense, but just about every (contending) team gets to a point where they have to rely on one player to get it done for them. In your examples, San Antonio used Duncan down the stretch to win the game. Is there anyone on this team who you can give the ball, and be confident they score? I can't say that we have that player. If we did, we would have beat the Pacers. Horford is good, but he hasn't shown that he's that type of player.

I do agree that we don't need to make changes to our front line. Horford and Millsap give us 2 players who can get 20-10 most nights, which most other teams cannot boast. Teague also gives another great player (when he's locked in of course). We need to find a good player on the wings and add someone like Hill.

Hey maybe horford can do it!.......Remember this?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Zy5NPRpHE

Horford went right at the leagues best shot blocker that year!....in the clutch!

Hey maybe horford can do it!.......Remember this?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Zy5NPRpHE

Horford went right at the leagues best shot blocker that year!....in the clutch!

I'd love to see that play out of Horford but he doesn't seem like he wants to be that alpha dog. He's got the ability to do more on offense, but he seems reluctant to do so. If Bud could some how give him the green light to take more shots and light a fire under him to be more aggressive, I honestly think Al could deliver.

Gay is not that guy...at all!!! Not a good enough scorer for the amount of shots he takes.

I'd love to see that play out of Horford but he doesn't seem like he wants to be that alpha dog. He's got the ability to do more on offense, but he seems reluctant to do so. If Bud could some how give him the green light to take more shots and light a fire under him to be more aggressive, I honestly think Al could deliver.

Well we have to remember that bud didn't get a whole year with horford yet....

• Moderators

When Gay plays within himself (ie: not on the perimeter) he's a legit number one player. The player I saw in Sacramento was a player put in a position to succeed. Get him going to the paint and he gets you points efficiently.

55 games of shooting 7.7 FG for 16.1 FGA doesn't outweigh 550 games of track record for me. Not even close.

Of the 21 players who averaged 20 ppg last season while shooting at least .500 TS%, Gay ranked 17th in TS%. He ranked last in PPG.

I am not saying the guy can't be a useful part of a good team, but he sure can't be your #1 on a contender.

Edited by AHF

55 games of shooting 7.7 FG for 16.1 FGA doesn't outweigh 550 games of track record for me. Not even close.

Of the 21 players who averaged 20 ppg last season while shooting at least .500 TS%, Gay ranked 17th in TS%. He ranked last in PPG.

I am not saying the guy can't be a useful part of a good team, but he sure can't be your #1 on a contender.

Gay's days as a number #1 option are over. Maybe he can have a Monta Ellis type reincarnation - Playing within a system with better players where he isnt the focal point of the offense.

• Moderators

And once again our NBA final centers are Splitter, Diaw, Bosh, and Birdman. These guys are much more Horford like than HIbbert like.

It is possible that Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, K. Leonard, Dwyane Wade and Lebron James are the reason those guys are playing in the finals. I recall a time when you had multiple championships being won by a team with a starting center named Luc Longley. I am not sure how much significance Luc had as far as team building and suspect that rim protector like Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah and DeAndre Jordan could easily be in the finals starting for their teams if they were switched for any of those guys (including PF/C Bosh).

• Moderators

It is possible that Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, K. Leonard, Dwyane Wade and Lebron James are the reason those guys are playing in the finals. I recall a time when you had multiple championships being won by a team with a starting center named Luc Longley. I am not sure how much significance Luc had as far as team building and suspect that rim protector like Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah and DeAndre Jordan could easily be in the finals starting for their teams if they were switched for any of those guys (including PF/C Bosh).

That's just making my point. The main reason guys like that are centers on finals teams is that the team puts there money somewhere more important than in a 7'2" rim protector.