• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Diesel Series: What about Him?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Today's What about Him??? is Mike Muscala.

What about Him??

He's the second round guy that we brought over. He's big...6'11" about 240. He was a rebounding scoring at Bucknell.

One twitter post that caught my eye was this: "Last night home in MN, time went fast but I've come to realize that's a good thing. Excited to get back to work in ATL next week"

This is what was said about him coming into the draft last year:

Strengths: Bigman with solid fluidity, mobility and footwork ... Surprising agility for a player out of the Patriot League ... Has good experience with four seasons of college ball under his belt ... Polished offensive game ... Excellent touch and a skilled offensive player showing the ability to consistently knock down shots from 15-18 feet ... His statistics show that he's a solid contibutor on both ends of the floor ... Solid passer for a bigman ... Dominated the Patriot League averging 18.7 ppg , 11.1 rpg, 2.4 bpg and 2.3 spg, earning conference player of the year ...

Weaknesses: While a fluid athlete, he lacks the explosiveness and overall quickness and athleticism to stand out at the next level ... Lacks upper body strength. Appears to shy away from contact at times. A finesse player who is most comfortable facing the basket and knocking down mid-range shots ... And lack of physicality may limit his effectiveness on the boards and defensively ... Averagd 2.4 blocked shots per game, but there is some question about whether he could do that against a higher level of competition ... Known for being a quality shooter, however his 25% 3 point shooting in his senior year was surprisingly bad ... Had strong #s but level of competition concerns could temper scout's reviews of him ... His inability to step up in the NCAA tourney did his stock no favors ...

Notes: Viewed by scouts as a likely draft pick and probable mid second rounder ... Struggled in Bucknell's lone tourney game against Butler's Andrew Smith hitting just 4-17 from the floor and finishing in single digits in pts (9).

So my question is: What about him???

What can we do with him when Horf comes back?

finally, per 36, this is what he looked like with us:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fm%2Fmuscami01.html&div=div_per_minute"></script>

Edited by Diesel

Seriously I want to see him play more! He looks like can be good....and I'm not just saying that I think he deserves a good amount of minutes as a backup center or pf. Which will probably keep bebe on the bench if brought over

• Premium Member

Seriously I want to see him play more! He looks like can be good....and I'm not just saying that I think he deserves a good amount of minutes as a backup center or pf. Which will probably keep bebe on the bench if brought over

Exactly.

You talk about Bebe being 220. This guy is 240 and rising. IF he gets 250 with the muscle he already has... he averaged about 12/8 over 36 mpg... not great but skewed because of his real mpg. I think he could be a great banger which is something we don't have on offense.

I think Anti&#263; gives us something different so I wouldn't be prompted to move him. It seems with attention on Bebe that we might look to put Muscala in a trade or something.

• Moderators

Muscala and Mike Scott are similar to me at different heights. Both offer mediocre rebounding and good but not great perimeter shooting. Hopefully Muscala will develop into a rotation player like Scott.

• Moderators

Muscala and Mike Scott are similar to me at different heights. Both offer mediocre rebounding and good but not great perimeter shooting. Hopefully Muscala will develop into a rotation player like Scott.

Well you must be pretty damn good then!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Well you must be pretty damn good then!

I wish! I meant to say they appear to me to be fairly similar but Scott is a SF/PF while Muscala is a PF/C. Neither looks like a great defender, passer or rebounder but both look like useful cogs in a system as stretch guys with some size. I am really hoping Scott gets his 3pt% above 35% this season. That would be a big step in the right direction for him. He shot 31% in the regular season and 32% in the playoffs.

• Moderators

I wish! I meant to say they appear to me to be fairly similar but Scott is a SF/PF while Muscala is a PF/C. Neither looks like a great defender, passer or rebounder but both look like useful cogs in a system as stretch guys with some size. I am really hoping Scott gets his 3pt% above 35% this season. That would be a big step in the right direction for him. He shot 31% in the regular season and 32% in the playoffs.

If Scott could defend the 3 he'd be a huge asset. I just don' tsee him being an effective 4 in the nba. I think if his D was better he could be a starter. Seems like he was really a good rebounder under LD, although mostly garbage time. I think now he's at the 3 point line all the time.

Mike Muscala says he wants to improve his range and get more comfortable from the three-point line.

Can we get a big man who wants to be a big man? Please.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Mike Muscala says he wants to improve his range and get more comfortable from the three-point line.

Can we get a big man who wants to be a big man? Please.

I don't see the problem with this, actually. Muscala was always going to be a stretch big so getting 3pt range makes sense.

I don't see the problem with this, actually. Muscala was always going to be a stretch big so getting 3pt range makes sense.

I know - I just want someone in the paint.