• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Elfrid Payton is a sleeper pg prospect!

Elfrid Payton's an interested draft prospect out of the University of Louisiana - Lafayette. He's extremely young (Entered college at 17) with a high-ceiling-- consider if his outside shot develops. Oh yeah.. Did I forget to mention that he started school at 3 years old.. What intrigues me most about Elfrid is his size, athleticism, and pesky DEFENSE. A BIG POINT GUARD with a long wingspan and active hands on defense. He's always in position to stop the pick'n roll at the elbow and often frustrates opposing players with his length and effort. Just imagine this kid coming in along side Teague. We would have a very exciting tempo in Phillips Arena! Your thoughts...

Ennis over Payton any day all day. He's not a Ferry guy. We need a playmaker not a score first pg. I'd rather keep Schröder or draft Ennis.

Really? This kid is a scorer and distributor. He can make opportunities for himself during isolation situations and break down the defense to set up opportunities for outside shooters. plus he's 6'4 with a 6'7 wingspan. I can see him being a better point guard than Ennis once he gets stronger in his frame and develops an outside shot.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Really? This kid is a scorer and distributor. He can make opportunities for himself during isolation situations and break down the defense to set up opportunities for outside shooters. plus he's 6'4 with a 6'7 wingspan. I can see him being a better point guard than Ennis once he gets stronger in his frame and develops an outside shot.

Possibly. I'm not doubting he might be a good player. But do you seem him as a good fit or better fit in our system than Ennis or Schröder? I just think he's not a Ferry/Bud guy. Just my thought. He very well could be. I may be dead wrong but from the type of players that I've seen Ferry, Bud, the entire Spurs brass go after and their philosophy of certain skills at certain positions, I just don't think he's in that mold of player.

Possibly. I'm not doubting he might be a good player. But do you seem him as a good fit or better fit in our system than Ennis or Schröder? I just think he's not a Ferry/Bud guy. Just my thought. He very well could be. I may be dead wrong but from the type of players that I've seen Ferry, Bud, the entire Spurs brass go after and their philosophy of certain skills at certain positions, I just don't think he's in that mold of player.

I can agree with that logic.

I can agree with that logic.

But you might be in luck if you really like him. It seems whatever I predict during draft night does a quick 180 and I'm dead wrong lol.

Actually Payton is 6' 3.75" in shoes and has a 6'8" wingspan and 8' 2.5" reach. Ennis is 6' 2.5" in shoes with a 6' 7.25" wingspan and 8'2" reach. Remarkable that Ennis' reach is almost the same while being over 1" shorter in height.

Payton could be pretty good ... but he won't have that "it" factor that Ennis has. Once you've seen this kid play and lead his team game after game you'll be amazed at the leader he is at such a young age and he's absolutely fearless about taking the big shot.

I saw Payton play in person sitting courtside at GSU. Ryan Harrow got him in foul trouble in game #1. His defense is over rated.

In the conference championship game ULL won in over time but Harrow scored 38 points with Payton assigned to him most of the game. Most of Harrow's points come on drives where Payton was beaten off the dribble.

Payton has no shot at all. His upside is as a big PG who can defend but he was simply out classed by Harrow when I saw him play.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Payton play in person sitting courtside at GSU. Ryan Harrow got him in foul trouble in game #1. His defense is over rated.

In the conference championship game ULL won in over time but Harrow scored 38 points with Payton assigned to him most of the game. Most of Harrow's points come on drives where Payton was beaten off the dribble.

Payton has no shot at all. His upside is as a big PG who can defend but he was simply out classed by Harrow when I saw him play.

2esezyje.jpg

puty9e5y.jpg

Its seems as though my analysis of Elfrid Payton was correct. The kid has bust his butt in workouts and climbed from a mid to late draft pick to a top 10 draft possibility. It just goes to show how important young defensive minded point guards are in this league. He will be a draft gem.

The one game I watched of Payton he was pretty good. I think he may slip into the lottery and I feel if he's there at #15 he's the BPA. The kid has gradually gotten better and against Baylor he almost put up a triple double. I actually feel the kid could be the next Deron Williams. I'd love to take him, he just needs to work on shooting. May not be our strongest need but we can fill those needs through FA.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm seeing a slightly taller version of Andre Miller.

And while I appreciate the input from anyone who's watched a guy play close-up, have to look at the body of work, not just one game in which, who knows, a kid could be fighting the flu or something. Just sayin.

• Like 1

Explain please...

His lows are extremely low. His first season as a freshman his advanced offensive numbers were just pitiful. His steals were nothing to write home about. He has never maintained a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. The best thing about this guy is he improved but he should have never been that bad. Going up against pros night in and night out who are just naturally better than him I don;t think he holds up.

I would not touch him.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=jeff-teague&elfrid-payton=2011-2012&i=1&jeff-teague=2007-2008&p1=elfrid-payton

Edited by MrMeltdown