• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Millsap's future

Reggie2555

I keep going back & forth on this but sometimes I wonder about the future of Paul Millsap. We signed him to a 2 year deal, but did we sign him because he's part of what we are trying to build? Or did we sign him just to keep as a trade asset to eventually trade him to get something greater? I don't see Horford or Teague going anywhere. Paul Millsap is the best trade piece that we have if we want to make a big move. I also wonder if the best time to move Millsap is during this draft considering his value isn't going to get any higher & he's entering the last year of his deal. Thoughts?

How about both? Sap was brought in for us to be competitive and as a potential trade chip for a bigger move. And Al is a FA in 2016, so he is far from safe when considering his trade value will be at its peak during ASW next year most likely.

I'd like to keep him and re-sign him. He came here for peanuts, then becomes an All-Star. That shows character to me.

Agree. We couldn't have asked more out of him without Horf. We have a year to see how the system evolves before we make a decision I say keep him

He certainly thrived in our new system, esp. when Horford got hurt. He may not do as well when Al comes back. The 2 year contract made sense at the time because it was a bit unknown as to how he would do, but now its looking like it should have been longer. We now have our 2 top frontcourt players FA's this year, do we not?

• Premium Member

I keep going back & forth on this but sometimes I wonder about the future of Paul Millsap. We signed him to a 2 year deal, but did we sign him because he's part of what we are trying to build? Or did we sign him just to keep as a trade asset to eventually trade him to get something greater? I don't see Horford or Teague going anywhere. Paul Millsap is the best trade piece that we have if we want to make a big move. I also wonder if the best time to move Millsap is during this draft considering his value isn't going to get any higher & he's entering the last year of his deal. Thoughts?

I think we gave Millsap an audition.

As far as Horford and Teague going nowhere, I don't think that's Ferry's mindset. In fact, I know Bud likes Horf, but I think Ferry did try to trade Horf off during the season. If a top 3 pick is available for Horf, I would have to look at it very hard. Those teams that are picking in the lottery top are lotteried out and they want a sure thing.

Back to Millsap, he's not as good in the PNR as Horf, but his long distance shooting improved tremendously. Right now, SAP is something that you don't see much in the NBA... A player who can post up, shoot from the midrange, and shoot from distance....equally well. I don't think he's fast enough to be one of Bud's wings, however, Bud will have to change his offense to fit Sap if he stays. That change will be something that basketball hasn't seen in a long time. There's no player on the Spurs team with Sap's skillset and size. So for Bud, it's going to be fun and challenging what can be done with Sap.

With Horford, you get an excellent PNP guy. Excellent. His midrange shooting makes him something hard to deal with at Center.

The make up of our team leads to this one thing... We have several players that will force a defense out. No defense can sit back on us. However, we lack that one player who can work on the inside. Honestly, Melo would be a helluva fit because he can post up at Sf... I just don't like the idea of getting Melo for this team. Aside from Melo, a hard worker like Luol Deng could be a fit. While not having the polish of a Melo, he does work in the post and midrange well enough to take advantage of holes caused by our shooters and PNP ball.

Edited by Diesel

• Premium Member

I'd love to keep Milsap and Horford and Teague for a looooonggg time!

DB... I hear you. However, that would mean:

Horf = C

Sap = PF.

I don't know if Horf is a PF. I don't know if sap can play Sf. I have my doubts in both cases. However, if they could and we can get our hands on a Center who can rebound and score inside (Asik) then I think we'd have something really good.

I think we gave Millsap an audition.

As far as Horford and Teague going nowhere, I don't think that's Ferry's mindset. In fact, I know Bud likes Horf, but I think Ferry did try to trade Horf off during the season. If a top 3 pick is available for Horf, I would have to look at it very hard. Those teams that are picking in the lottery top are lotteried out and they want a sure thing.

Back to Millsap, he's not as good in the PNR as Horf, but his long distance shooting improved tremendously. Right now, Horf is something that you don't see much in the NBA... A player who can post up, shoot from the midrange, and shoot from distance....equally well. I don't think he's fast enough to be one of Bud's wings, however, Bud will have to change his offense to fit Sap if he stays. That change will be something that basketball hasn't seen in a long time. There's no player on the Spurs team with Sap's skillset and size. So for Bud, it's going to be fun and challenging what can be done with Sap.

With Horford, you get an excellent PNP guy. Excellent. His midrange shooting makes him something hard to deal with at Center.

The make up of our team leads to this one thing... We have several players that will force a defense out. No defense can sit back on us. However, we lack that one player who can work on the inside. Honestly, Melo would be a helluva fit because he can post up at Sf... I just don't like the idea of getting Melo for this team. Aside from Melo, a hard worker like Luol Deng could be a fit. While not having the polish of a Melo, he does work in the post and midrange well enough to take advantage of holes caused by our shooters and PNP ball.

I agree but I feel like you underestimated or did not even mention the fact that sap is a good scorer in the post. Sap actually does a fantastic job taking bigs slower than him off the dribble to the goal...so for that I would say horford, sap both can do a good amount of damage in the post on offense.

CRAFTY.....is the word I'm looking for, for sap when he's in the post against a slower or not as good defender and he makes them pay.

Example:Hibbert on sap in the playoffs.

Sap took him to the goal repeatedly because he was slower though Hibbert is known as a good defender.

• Premium Member

I agree but I feel like you underestimated or did not even mention the fact that sap is a good scorer in the post. Sap actually does a fantastic job taking bigs slower than him off the dribble to the goal...so for that I would say horford, sap both can do a good amount of damage in the post on offense.

CRAFTY.....is the word I'm looking for, for sap when he's in the post against a slower or not as good defender and he makes them pay.

Example:Hibbert on sap in the playoffs.

Sap took him to the goal repeatedly because he was slower though Hibbert is known as a good defender.

looking back at the post, I meant to say SAP is something you don't see in the NBA. I have already corrected it.

Horf = C

Sap = PF.

I don't know if Horf is a PF. I don't know if sap can play Sf. I have my doubts in both cases. However, if they could and we can get our hands on a Center who can rebound and score inside (Asik) then I think we'd have something really good.

I wouldn't care as long as we have a good big man rotation going into next season.

Horford can play center just fine. But throughout the game or when a bigger center is in we need our tiago splitter...or sometimes when the shot blocker like ibaka is controlling the post we need our Matt bonner to spread the floor.

The pf and center position is a rotation thing now in the nba unlike back in the day when you would have your main two guys at pf/c. Duncan is the do it all that can play both pf & c along with whatever situational rotation big, pop decides to go with and horford is will be our do it all big man for pf/c.

SPURS POST Rotation-

Duncan (center) + Point forward big (diaw)

Duncan (center) + 3pt shooting/spread floor big (bonner)

Duncan (PF) + true center (splitter)

Ultra small ball defense lineup

Duncan (center) + Kwahi (pf) + ginobli (sf) + mills (sg) + Parker (pg)

They have four bigs including Duncan that all have different skill sets surrounded around Duncan that can get it done in a different way.

The hawks already got 3 that's able to do some of these things in sap, horford, Antić. We are missing the true center size and the point forward bigs.

• Premium Member

I love the guy but it's smart to trade him while his value is highest. He's also gonna command more money next off season.

Babcock? Is that you?

I think you have to weigh everything. It's not just money and value but it's what does he do for us and how can we use him. It's an interesting scale.

I don't think he will command much more than he's making. He will get maybe 12 to start. Smoove fills every stat in the statbook and he doesn't get much more than 12.

In this CBA, teams can't afford to pay almost elite guys like they used to. And they won't. The trend is that guys are just getting less than they use to because teams know that the cap is leveling off and the CBA penalties are getting tougher on overspenders. The new era of basketball will be one where it will be rough on teams trying to buy a championship.

Sap is good at all things offensive but he's not dominant in anything offensive.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I wouldn't care as long as we have a good big man rotation going into next season.

Horford can play center just fine. But throughout the game or when a bigger center is in we need our tiago splitter...or sometimes when the shot blocker like ibaka is controlling the post we need our Matt bonner to spread the floor.

The pf and center position is a rotation thing now in the nba unlike back in the day when you would have your main two guys at pf/c. Duncan is the do it all that can play both pf & c along with whatever situational rotation big, pop decides to go with and horford is will be our do it all big man for pf/c.

SPURS POST Rotation-

Duncan (center) + Point forward big (diaw)

Duncan (center) + 3pt shooting/spread floor big (bonner)

Duncan (PF) + true center (splitter)

Ultra small ball defense lineup

Duncan (center) + Kwahi (pf) + ginobli (sf) + mills (sg) + Parker (pg)

They have four bigs including Duncan that all have different skill sets surrounded around Duncan that can get it done in a different way.

The hawks already got 3 that's able to do some of these things in sap, horford, Antić. We are missing the true center size and the point forward bigs.

What we need is a banger. We try to compensate a banger with finesse. It's not going to work. Just note the effect that Ibaka has on games. We need a rim protector, banger that can do some of that... and it can be by rotation.. I'm with that as long as we can put that player in rotation.

Babcock? Is that you?

I think you have to weigh everything. It's not just money and value but it's what does he do for us and how can we use him. It's an interesting scale.

I don't think he will command much more than he's making. He will get maybe 12 to start. Smoove fills every stat in the statbook and he doesn't get much more than 12.

In this CBA, teams can't afford to pay almost elite guys like they used to. And they won't. The trend is that guys are just getting less than they use to because teams know that the cap is leveling off and the CBA penalties are getting tougher on overspenders. The new era of basketball will be one where it will be rough on teams trying to buy a championship.

Sap is good at all things offensive but he's not dominant in anything offensive.

How do we know sap and horford just won't take a paycut of 10mil cause they want an opportunity to win?

I mean these guys seem like the type that's truly about winning first and money second. I bet sap signs back for 10 mil as well as horford.

At some point these players all over the nba got to realize the spurs are contenders every year because guys take huge paycuts to be contenders every year! Not the only reason of course but it's one of them.

• Like 1

Horf = C

Sap = PF.

I know exactly how you feel I mean Milsap doesn't have the skill set to play on the wing.Especially the ball handling...Every time I watched him he only had 2 moves, either try and dribble right thru you or post up an do that weird between the step back into a drive move.If I knew how to insert a video on my phone is show y'all.But I just want it to stay how it is for the time being with Horford at C and Milsap at 4. An maybe we can snag a good inside shot blocking big man