• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

LeBron holding us all hostage

sturt

• Premium Member

Kinda pizzes me off as I think about it. King James has had all this time to figure out what he's going to do, and probably even knows right now what that is... but he's keeping everything held up. Few GMs if anyone is going to want to make a move until they know what options aren't on the table, beginning with him.

• Like 1

Guest BraveHawk

I think we move on from him now and strike at some of the other waiting players.  He is not going to sign here anyway

I think the old saying goes "A Bird in the Hand is worth two in the Bush"?  I agree - Unless, Ferry has some really good information that James is truly considering signing with the Hawks (which, would totally shock me!) I think they need to proceed on to Plan B.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That is GREAT for us if we are going after Parsons.  We want the Rockets to think they are in the race for Lebron and think twice about matching.  If they know they won't land any of the big FAs, they will simply match without even thinking about it.

• Admin

That is GREAT for us if we are going after Parsons.  We want the Rockets to think they are in the race for Lebron and think twice about matching.  If they know they won't land any of the big FAs, they will simply match without even thinking about it.

Exactly....I just hope we are not drinking the Lebron/Melo kool-aid too

• Premium Member

Bron like D12 and CP3 is not coming here so everyone just needs to move on from this.  Bron is set of Miami and a max deal.  Wade and Bosh will have to take a pay cut.

• Like 1

Problem is Miami has the most money.  None of the FA are moving until that cash cow is off the board.   If Lebron leaves now you have a desperate rich team to drive up your price.  It is not Lebron it is Miami.   They want first pick of the tier 2 guys and that only works until they don't have the most cash on the  table.   This is poker right now.  

Edited by HawkItus

• Admin

Lebron is selfish .... with all the money he has made and the endorsements ... he is demanding max money... putting money over winning.  He wants Miami to put the right pieces together for him to resign there but handcuffing them at the same time with the demand of max dough.  

Lebron is selfish .... with all the money he has made and the endorsements ... he is demanding max money... putting money over winning. He wants Miami to put the right pieces together for him to resign there but handcuffing them at the same time with the demand of max dough.

That's a good thing for us if it limits who they can sign because he wants the max - I ain mad at him.

Lebron is selfish .... with all the money he has made and the endorsements ... he is demanding max money... putting money over winning. He wants Miami to put the right pieces together for him to resign there but handcuffing them at the same time with the demand of max dough.

this kind of talk has to stop. Lebron has never been the highest paid on his team. He gets paid less than joe lol. This man has earned every penny. He should be getting a contract like the highest paid baseball players make. He can bring so much money to any organization just by signing with them. Give lebron a break

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Problem is Miami has the most money.  None of the FA are moving until that cash cow is off the board.   If Lebron leaves now you have a desperate rich team to drive up your price.  It is not Lebron it is Miami.   They want first pick of the tier 2 guys and that only works until they don't have the most cash on the  table.   This is poker right now.  

Yes. Well. Both. Not one. Both.

On LeBron's side of the ledger, It's dominoes. Most of the teams who have some reason to think they might snag LeBron aren't going to sign any of the 2nd tier FAs until there is clarity from LeBron on what he's going to do... and then same with the 3rd tier, awaiting the 2nd tier, though that gets even more complicated because as you get out of the max-contract players, all of those players want to wait to see what each other is getting offered before they make a commitment.

Edited by sturt

this kind of talk has to stop. Lebron has never been the highest paid on his team. He gets paid less than joe lol. This man has earned every penny. He should be getting a contract like the highest paid baseball players make. He can bring so much money to any organization just by signing with them. Give lebron a break

This may be true but Bosh, Wade and Haslem have all opted out of deals when they are unlikely to get that kind of money in a new deal.  It's hypocritical of Lebron to request this from them and then turn around and do the opposite.

I'm personally happy with it and hope he gets the max.  The Heat aren't going anywhere if they have to spend 50 million on the big 3.

• Like 1

Baseball and basketball don't work the same though. In basketball, it is going to be really hard to build a serious contender if you are giving him the max. Baseball, you can just throw money at whoever you want, basically. I don't know the cap rules in baseball well, but I know you can definitely throw around huge contracts without it severely handicapping your team. In basketball, it does. It is selfish.

Nothing is wrong with going for the money though as long as you know that it will hold your team back.

• Admin

Yes, he made less then Joe but not a whole lot less.  Joe should not have been paid that amount.  However, he got paid a little less so Miami could sign him, Wade and Bosh.  Yes, he is a max player but he has made so much money and will still...why sacrifice the chance at winning to handcuff your team?  

Oh, as far as 'This kind of talk has to stop?'  ... you realize this is a forum where the whole point is to debate things.  

• Premium Member

I thought about that, and wrote a post to that effect before, but it's occurred to me that Parsons isn't likely making any move, either, until it's clear what LeBron has determined he wants to do... am I wrong?

Kinda pizzes me off as I think about it. King James has had all this time to figure out what he's going to do, and probably even knows right now what that is... but he's keeping everything held up. Few GMs if anyone is going to want to make a move until they know what options aren't on the table, beginning with him.

You do realize that the fact Wade & Bosh opted out means that Lebron is 95% chance of returning to the Heat. Wade & Bosh will take significantly less money to allow Lebron to get the max and acquire an additional piece.  He isn't holding anyone hostage.

• Admin

Oh and he has a net worth of 250 million dollars...he made 70 million last year.  I don't think he needs a break.  Yes, he is selfish for demanding the max and taking flexibility away from him team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You do realize that the fact Wade & Bosh opted out means that Lebron is 95% chance of returning to the Heat. Wade & Bosh will take significantly less money to allow Lebron to get the max and acquire an additional piece.  He isn't holding anyone hostage.

I do realize that, yes.

And I think I've failed to communicate my point.

It's not that I expect ATL to wait for LeBron, but that the whole of the free agency "season" as it were is awaiting King James final verdict before anyone is likely to want to sign (... that is, aside from someone like Kyrie whose situation is pretty clear-cut by virtue of CLE deciding he's worth keeping long-term).

Edited by sturt