• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pacers low balling Lance Stephenson

coachx

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234081/Pacers-Stephenson-At-Impasse-After-Five-Year-$44M-Offer

I never thought of Lance Stephenson as a possibility since he has some mental issues.

However, reports say he and Indiana are at an impass after a 5 year $44 mill offer.

For the 1st time I'm now finally thinking about Lance. Is he worth it even on a bargain contract ?

Edited by coachx
  • Like 3

Better question for me are why are they low balling him? Luxury tax concerns or do they feel he's not worth more?

This kinda reminds me of Josh when he was a RFA and we let other teams set the market for him.

Good question. I would assume both.

I'm of the opinion that I don't want Lance in our locker room. However, seeing how low his market value is makes me rethink it..............but I'm still a no for him. Crazy is crazy. no matter how you slice it.

• Like 3

Same here. I'm looking around at the available 2s and starting to think Stephenson at 3/$30mil might be the ticket. I think Bud can prolly get his head right (as right as it's gonna get) and limit the tomfoolery. Can Lance be a 17/5/8 20PER SG in the Hawks system? Thinking he can. And Korver wins 6th man trophy for rest of his contract. With $10mil going to Stephenson and $5mil of cap space left, who would we have to let walk (after not matching offers for Scott) to free up an additional $5mil for Deng? DMC to bench.

Teague/Mack

Stephenson/Korver

Deng/DMC

Sap/Payne

Horf/Moose

That's a nice 10 deep. End of bench: Shredder, Jenk, Patterson

I mean 5/44 starts under 8 per that's just crazy.

That Pacers aren't dumb.  They know all there is to know about the guy and are JSmoove-ing him.  Shouldn't that tell us something.

• Premium Member

He is just a talent no doubt, but a cancer.  If you watched the playoff series with us and other teams there was always something dumb he said or did that was not a positive for the team.

I would pass

I dont think they'd go through all the trouble of courting him if they didn't want him in the locker room. I think they just don't want to use up all their cap in George, Hibbert and Stephenson for the foreseeable future.

Larry Bird seemed to vouch for the kid, so I think we could make it work. I'd rather have a young Stephenson at 10 million than a run down Deng.

• Like 2

Better question for me are why are they low balling him? Luxury tax concerns or do they feel he's not worth more?

This kinda reminds me of Josh when he was a RFA and we let other teams set the market for him.

Bird has previously said that Indy just cannot afford to be a tax paying team.

Additionally Bird said he didn't have as much interaction with him this season as in previous seasons and that was his mistake.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

He is just a talent no doubt, but a cancer.  If you watched the playoff series with us and other teams there was always something dumb he said or did that was not a positive for the team.

I would pass

Return of the J-Smoove?

I'll pass.

• Premium Member

I would go with B...

I don't think the market will pay Stephenson more than 9 Million per because of his instability.  The Pacers are smart.  They know how much Stephenson wrecked their team last year.  They will take the chance that Charlotte is not willing to wreck their young squad with a hot head.

• Premium Member

I dont think they'd go through all the trouble of courting him if they didn't want him in the locker room. I think they just don't want to use up all their cap in George, Hibbert and Stephenson for the foreseeable future.

Larry Bird seemed to vouch for the kid, so I think we could make it work. I'd rather have a young Stephenson at 10 million than a run down Deng.

Not so fast my friend.

GMing 101.  Never lose talent for nothing.

Indy may have lowballed him to get him on a good contract to trade him by Dec 15th? That's what I would do.  Only fool GMs let talent walk for nothing!!!   There is really no addition by subtraction... not in a world where you can get Draft picks.

• Like 1

Dude has issues but that locker room was without leadership.  It was said repeatedly that the coach had lost the locker room. And Smoove had issues but we didn't have strong leadership then.....ha, BK, Woody, Drew.  The question is would the Bud's leadership as well as Horf and Sap make a difference.  That is a calculated gamble.  One I'm not sure is worth it.  It's not DF;s style.

Lance doesn't fit the mold of a Ferry/Bud player. His skills are off the charts though. This team needs a guy like Stephenson. A player with emotion and tenacity on the floor. He could ruffle some feathers on the opposing team. If he can bottle his emotions and hold back any outbursts he will be awesome. I want Lance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1