• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it actually true that DF kept last year's signings off the radar until they actually occurred?

sturt

• Premium Member

I keep reading that that's how it went down, but I'm just not sure that it was actually that way.

Is it just an internet board myth or did we literally only learn of Millsap and Carroll joining the good guys on the day that it actually occurred?

I ask because the implication would be that we should pretty much write off anyone who begins to get media attention... e.g., Deng, Bazemore, Monroe, and I see today, Young.

• Premium Member

Look here Jack, it's the truth! We didn't know about at least Millsap till the day it happened. I know Korver was a huge surprise too.

Okay, okay. I believe you.

And so... if A, then B?

No Monroe. No Deng. No anyone that any media person links us to?

• Like 1

I recently came across an article in which it was stated that Hawks front-office is very much tight-lipped about it's business, no leaks whatsoever... I expect something similar this year too...

• Like 1

When it was clear Smith wouldn't be back everybody threw out Millsap as a possible replacement.  Why does everyone act like that was some out-of-left field thing?

• Moderators

When it was clear Smith wouldn't be back everybody threw out Millsap as a possible replacement.  Why does everyone act like that was some out-of-left field thing?

That may be although i don't remember it that way.   But i think the difference is there weren't media reports of the hawks being interested in Millsap.

I don't think this means that the rumors we are hearing now aren't true though.   The front office might be tight lipped but that doesn't mean the players or player's reps are.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I recently came across an article in which it was stated that Hawks front-office is very much tight-lipped about it's business, no leaks whatsoever... I expect something similar this year too...

This is how business is done.  Not much negotiation is done through the media but directly with those involved.  Agents are probably the source of most leaks as a negotiation tactic, getting more money for their client.

I find the premise of this thread a bit strange.  Their are two parties involved in these conversations.  If Ferry is tight lipped there is no guarantee the other party will be.  I would not discount a story of us talking to a player just because we didn't leak anything.

We've talked about Jordan Hill a lot this year too, but it wouldn't be a massive surprise if you opened hoops hype and saw we signed him?

That may be although i don't remember it that way.   But i think the difference is there weren't media reports of the hawks being interested in Millsap.

I don't think this means that the rumors we are hearing now aren't true though.   The front office might be tight lipped but that doesn't mean the players or player's reps are.   

Agreed.  I also don't think the leaks we hear from other places are necessarily indicative of mouthy front offices.

We've talked about Jordan Hill a lot this year too, but it wouldn't be a massive surprise if you opened hoops hype and saw we signed him?

Yep.

Well my only point is that it wasn't some totally out of the blue signing.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/381918-another-article-on-fa-landing-spots/?hl=%2Butah+%2Bjazz+%2Bpaul+%2Bmillsap

And my point is that nobody was discussing it and certainly no rumors of it. That link just says we're a fit / money match. It also said that a return to Atlanta for Josh Smith makes the most sense lol. 

In fact, between June 1st and July 5th there were exactly ZERO rumors of Millsap or topics created about him. So no, nobody thought he was coming to Atlanta. 

And my point is that nobody was discussing it and certainly no rumors of it. That link just says we're a fit / money match. It also said that a return to Atlanta for Josh Smith makes the most sense lol. 

In fact, between June 1st and July 5th there were exactly ZERO rumors of Millsap or topics created about him. So no, nobody thought he was coming to Atlanta. 

We're arguing two different things.  You're saying there were no rumors.  (ok, you win)  I'm saying it made sense so the signing shouldn't have surprised anyone.

We're arguing two different things.  You're saying there were no rumors.  (ok, you win)  I'm saying it made sense so the signing shouldn't have surprised anyone.

But what you're arguing has nothing to do with the topic here. I mean you can make an argument that nearly every FA out there makes sense for us in some way. 

But the point that I believe @sturt is trying to get at here is that nobody actually knew anything about the Millsap signing before it happened. 

But what you're arguing has nothing to do with the topic here. I mean you can make an argument that nearly every FA out there makes sense for us in some way. 

But the point that I believe @sturt is trying to get at here is that nobody actually knew anything about the Millsap signing before it happened. 

I hear you.  It's a little hair-splittery but, yeah I hear you.

I'd go so far as to guess that when Ferry contacts someone, he states up front that he'd rather have no leaks and if there are leaks all bets are off. Unless it's an irresistible player leaks be damned. Just my hunch.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Yes, Dolf.

And...

And, DF not only appears to be tight-lipped, but based on the admittedly small data set we have, he seems to work with players' agents who comply with that same philosophy. (Moreover, certainly none of us can know but it wouldn't surprise me if DF is one who buys-in to the idea that forwarding a little misinformation to draw attention elsewhere can be helpful.)

So...

So, we should probably be talking a whole lot more about players who aren't getting mentioned but who fit the profile... unselfish, good character, players who have performed well when given minutes.

Fortunately, there are some very good players out there who aren't getting mentioned with the Atlanta Hawks in the same sentence.

Edited by sturt
  • Like 1