• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schröder Summer League Game 1

vdunkndunk

From P tree Hoop:  

There were certainly more positives on Sunday than in the debut, and that begins with Dennis Schröder. After an uneven performance on Saturday (to be kind), the second-year point guard was extremely aggressive and effective in somewhat of a breakout performance. Dennis finished the day with 30 (!) points on 9-for-14 shooting, but more importantly, he seemed to be in the paint at every turn (including 10 free throw attempts), and his ability to create havoc at the back-end of the opposing defense was extremely encouraging. His late 3-point barrage was something to see (three straight bombs), but more importantly, his shot looked cleaner and more fundamentally sound, and that is a significant takeaway.

Nice.  Very encouraging performance, especially the 3-point shooting.  I still think he's got a ways to go to be a consistently reliable player this season, but nevertheless it's nice to see him hit 30 in a summer league game.

Just saw highlights. Looks like Dennis should have had 32 points and the winning basket as that was a goaltend at the end (not that it was going in, but a goaltend nonetheless).

Huge block and dunk by Payne. How did he look the rest of the time?

Just saw highlights. Looks like Dennis should have had 32 points and the winning basket as that was a goaltend at the end (not that it was going in, but a goaltend nonetheless).

Huge block and dunk by Payne. How did he look the rest of the time?

A lot of good and a lot of bad. But he's tough as heck and he's going to fit in really nicely on our team this year. He's not shooting it worth a damn though through 2 games. 

A few quick thoughts on Schröder after watching his first summer league game this year:

-He needs to get stronger and little more crafty about finishing his drives. He could get to the basket almost whenever he wanted, but over and over again the ball just rimmed out - I'd like to see him study the way Tony Parker finishes drives, and I'd like to see him develop a floater as well.

-Needs a jump shot badly. Still very shaky there.

-Needs to stop wasting possessions. Every now and then he just throws the ball away for no apparent reason.

-Needs to stop picking up cheap fouls on defense.

Overall he didn't look nearly as bad as his box score suggested, but I'd say he's still two years away from being an effective NBA player.

man you just sounded like you just described jeff Teague a few years ago.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm pro-Dennis.

But.

What I most want to see from Dennis now is the ability to stay in front of his man. It's annoying because the quickness you see on the offensive end somehow gets left on that end... it's like you know he has to have that extra gear on the defensive side of the court, too, but it's not there with any consistency at all.

• Like 1

Dennis played great offensively, which was a big change from Saturday. Was surprised to hear (from the announcer, game stats not up yet i guess) he only had 3 assists. Was very disappointed that he had nearly 10 turnovers. (Last i heard was 8 but fairly sure he had at least one after that, and this was just summer league and the D league guess weren't even double teaming, trapping or pressuring him a lot, he was mostly just careless.) Completely happy to keep Mack around as long as Dennis has such a bad A/TO ratio, which i seem to recall hearing Mack led the league in (not SL, mind you) last year for a large part of the season if not for the overall season. Dennis is very raw still but i am at least glad see that he's getting buckets to drop.

man you just sounded like you just described jeff Teague a few years ago.

I think that's fairly accurate.  I remember Teague didn't finish all that well at first, either, even though he could get in the lane, and of course his jump shot needed some work.  To me, Schröder has all the tools and a good feel for the game, but he's not all the way there yet.  Hopefully he'll get there sooner than later.

I'm pro-Dennis.

But.

What I most want to see from Dennis now is the ability to stay in front of his man. It's annoying because the quickness you see on the offensive end somehow gets left on that end... it's like you know he has to have that extra gear on the defensive side of the court, too, but it's not there with any consistency at all.

For his pesky D, he was horrible on man defense yesterday. It remained me of his rookie year. It's like, all of the great D he played v. Washington was pointless. I really think he struggles with craftiness more than speed itself. He is just kind of raw is the problem on both sides of the court. I think he needs to be our backup like I felt that way about 2nd year Jeff but he's not ready to start unless something changes in terms of his understanding of the pro game. 

Shreds was burying 3's in game 2 vs the Dleague select. He was taking it to the hoop at will. He was a little wild and turned it over way too much. You can tell hes been working hard on his game though. Moose was solid and Tavares showed signs that he can develope into an nba big. Payne and Patterson I already feel can contribute to our squad if we have injury issues during the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop

Dennis Schröder, Atlanta Hawks | Grade: B+ 

You have to ding him a bit for coughing up the ball during double-overtime sudden-death basketball (yes, that’s a thing), but Schröder’s ability to get his man on his hip and force his way into the paint all game was awfully impressive for someone his size. There were lot of ambitious drives here (30 points, eight turnovers), but Schröder showed he’s a handful to guard when he’s in attack mode like this. 

Adreian Payne: Stretch big men are here to stay, and the Hawks continued to hoard them by drafting Payne, a dangerous pick-and-pop threat with legitimate 3-point range. It’s rare to see this kind of size, skill and athleticism in one player, but Payne might be limited to a smaller role because of a lung condition that affects his ability to play long stretches and big minutes. 

Dennis Schröder: Watching Schröder run the point is an adventure. He applies legitimate full-court pressure on ball handlers nearly every time up the court, and he’s not bashful about trying to thread the needle through traffic for perfect dimes on the other end. There’s no fear here, and there’s rarely a dull moment, either. 

Walter Tavares: It’s stranger than fiction, but Taveras was completely off the basketball radar until a German tourist in Cape Verde recruited him to try out. He had never even touched a basketball until 2010, but at 7-foot-3 with a reported 7-foot-9 wingspan and traffic signal-sized hands, he has what can't be taught. 

Finally caught up on the Summer League games. I was out of town and had em on tape.

After 1, I felt like Mack was still way ahead of Dennis, but after two I think it's closer and we see more signs of his talent. Big year for him. He looked really dynamic at times in Game 2. (Usual Summer League caveat applies.)

Is this the only Summer League thread going? Some other thoughts:

Payne - gonna be a nice NBA player. Love his body and game. He definitely looks like a starting 4 in the NBA as far as potential. Can't wait to see him develop.

Tavares - Nice! I read some things after we drafted that talked of him hitting 15 footers and his stroke at the line is solid. That hook when improved could be deadly. It already looks better than Hibbert's. As for losing Bebe, this guy seems further along and his ceiling seems higher.

Muscala - What a nice Summer League he's having! Doesn't project to be any better than our 5-6th big right now but if he can translate this improvement he could steal some minutes from Antić.

Patterson - Definitely a Ferry/Bud guy. I could see him developing nicely but there is a real glut at the end of the SG rotation. We'll see what happens. His ball handling could help make the team if for some reason Mack moves on.

Edited by MrNique