• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Ferry go to the beach for last couple of weeks?

lush23

Sounds familiar, dare i say similar to what DF is doing ?grin.gif dont forget Dirk is taking a good size paycut so the Mavs can add talent around him also.

I did point that out that it helped having their superstar take  a super duper pay cut 3yrs/$25 million.

• Premium Member

I did point that out that it helped having their superstar take a super duper pay cut 3yrs/$25 million.

Thats the trouble with trying to read through posts on a tiny iphone 4 screen :)

• Premium Member

Theres no way to know. One thing we do know is that overpaying for players hasnt. We might get lucky like the Rockets or we might not. Its definitely worth the shot.

I'm sorry but the times we overpaid for a FA, we did prosper from it.  Our problem was following up with good draft picks.

I said a long time ago that Ferry was BK with a different agenda.

BK had a much better understanding of who we are than Ferry does.

Neither could draft worth a snot and got lucky in the draft from time to time.

However, both suffered from trying to following their blueprint too closely without realizing what was necessary.

• Premium Member

You do realize that they signed Howard outright ? Also, if they hadnt gave big deals to Lin and Asik they probably could have kept Parsons and signed Bosh. Because they lacked flexibility, they lost Parsons and missed out on Bosh.

not true.

They lost Parson because they wanted Bosh and offered him the max.  That had nothing to do with Flexibility.  We have great Flexibility but if we offered anybody the max, we could match a max offer to any of our players.

• Premium Member

I'm glad someone already pointed it out, but I'm so sick of hearing about Houston and their gm.

That team is going nowhere fast, yet they get so much respect.

They get so much respect because they are always in the conversation.

Their GM has made them a conversation piece for every free agent.  Melo had to visit Houston.  Bosh had to visit Houston.  Next year, Houston will still be on people's visitation list.

Us with our cap flexibility couldn't even turn Deng's head.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but the times we overpaid for a FA, we did prosper from it.  Our problem was following up with good draft picks.

However, both suffered from trying to following their blueprint too closely without realizing what was necessary.

It's time folks started to recognize this.  Only thing Ferry's done that BK/Sund didn't is hire what appears to be a really good coach.

I was saying he was BK as well last time I was on. I have a little but for optimism this week. He's working the phones. I can say that much. More than BK and Sund combine but he has gotten impactful things done far less than those two to this point.

They get so much respect because they are always in the conversation.

Their GM has made them a conversation piece for every free agent. Melo had to visit Houston. Bosh had to visit Houston. Next year, Houston will still be on people's visitation list.

Us with our cap flexibility couldn't even turn Deng's head.

Oh sorry, I thought this was about winning, not being a conversation piece.

Where did being a conversation piece get them this summer? Lost Parsons and couldn't get bosh with a max offer. Boy are they talked about, though. Good for them.

Edited by ag82
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

My dear friend 82.

Look over history.  You will find that the only teams that win are the ones that have 1 to 2 superstars.   If you are a conversation piece and destination for superstars, then Winning has your number.

You're right but you have to recognize what the conversation is about.  We're talking about why the Hawks are never in the discussion for free agents.  In that very narrow scope Houston has accomplished a great deal more than us.

I think we all agree that we've accomplished more in terms of playoff appearances and even wins than the Morey-Rockets have.  Mitigating factors aside.

My dear friend 82.

Look over history. You will find that the only teams that win are the ones that have 1 to 2 superstars. If you are a conversation piece and destination for superstars, then Winning has your number.

Houston is winning nothing with d12 and harden as their 2 best players. Too many flaws in those stars.

• Premium Member

Houston is winning nothing with d12 and harden as their 2 best players. Too many flaws in those stars.

Yeah... but those stars are in need of just one more guy who can make them a great team.

Bosh would have been great.

Love next year will make them great.

The thing is that those guys will be in the conversation.  We won't.

Yeah... but those stars are in need of just one more guy who can make them a great team.

Bosh would have been great.

Love next year will make them great.

The thing is that those guys will be in the conversation. We won't.

So now you need 3 superstars to win? Because they had Chandler Parsons, one of the most sought after free agent wings this year and did absolutely nothing at all. Who are they getting that is so much better than Parsons that takes them from a first round exit to a champion? I just don't see it.

• Like 2

not true.

They lost Parson because they wanted Bosh and offered him the max.  That had nothing to do with Flexibility.  We have great Flexibility but if we offered anybody the max, we could match a max offer to any of our players.

Yeah we covered that.

Difference is BK had multiple picks in the lottery even top 3. Ferry hasnt drafted higher than 15 ?

• Premium Member

So now you need 3 superstars to win? Because they had Chandler Parsons, one of the most sought after free agent wings this year and did absolutely nothing at all. Who are they getting that is so much better than Parsons that takes them from a first round exit to a champion? I just don't see it.

I think you can't mention Houston and not mention the injuries.   Moreover, I don't buy into the greatness of Parsons yet.  I think with a cleared up middle and a healthier team, they will live out their creed to be a contender.   The West is tough though. 

• Premium Member

Sucks that we make excuses for other teams and trash our own.

Who trashed our own?

82 my friend.  Pointing out that we have a hard time acquiring high level free agents is not trashing the team.

We have a nice collection of players.

They are cheap...

But Nice.

But something people tend to forget is that one of the assets Houston traded was a lottery pick.  Something we refuse to get.  Any way you go about it landing top talent revolves around a lottery pick.  Until we suck it up and rebuild properly we aren't getting the kind of talent that is required to win championships.  FA won't will never give us the time a day no matter how many consecutive 1st and 2nd playoff exits we get ourselves in.

Well something that you forgot is how exactly they actually acquired that lotto pick....

They traded Lowry for, it was the Raptors that had to suck for them.

If you think Lamb was the get for OKC then again, they traded Dalembert and their own later pick to get him too.

So what have we learned here?  People are incredibly foolish if they want to trash/support the Houston model while trashing/supporting the Ferry model.....same goes for Dallas.  They are the same.  Booing Ferry for creating cap space to pursue a star and failing but then praising Morey for creating cap space to pursue a star....and failing is highly comical.  Morey has whiffed 5 out of the 7 years he's been in Houston, please afford your own GM that amount of leeway before your begin to criticize his "body of work".

• Like 2