• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kyle Korver vs. DeMarre Carroll

Diesel

Korver. He's so hard to game plan for because if he gets any space to shoot, he'll kill you. He spreads the floor and opens things up for everyone, especially Teague. Sure his defense isn't too good, but not from a lack of effort.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Korver. He's so hard to game plan for because if he gets any space to shoot, he'll kill you. He spreads the floor and opens things up for everyone, especially Teague. Sure his defense isn't too good, but not from a lack of effort.

I wouldn't totally rule out DeMarre.  I'm actually thinking that it may be matchup dependent.  Seemingly, DeMarre is our best man defender and he can hit the outside shot.  I think we may see instances where he starts the game only to put pressure on opposing Sfs.

However, if BazeGod and Teague are slashing, then we will definitely need somebody to kick to.

• Premium Member

I would go with DMC.   Kyle is a sniper off the bench player.  Kyle cannot guard anybody on the wing.   I know there is a lovefest on the board with him and he is truly one of the great shooters but he is one dimensional.

• Moderators

Kyle is the starting 2.   

I see us starting both DMC and Kyle (at 3 and 2, respectively) until someone takes the job from them and I don't think that is particularly likely this season.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I see us starting both DMC and Kyle (at 3 and 2, respectively) until someone takes the job from them and I don't think that is particularly likely this season.

Yes.   Before he came to the Hawks I thought Kyle was a 3 but in reality he is much better at the 2.   Defensively he is smart enough to make up for a lack of quickness and offensively he can shoot over most 2s in the league.   

• Like 2

If Lebron is at the 3 this year , or let's say Marsh mellow , you almost have to start Demarre right? Any real scoring threat at the three will warrant it. I think Demarre and Korver are gonna be interchangeable this year

Kyle started at the 3 when we had Devin Harris. I would prefer him not to ever start as a 3 again.

On offense he is taller than most SG so it's easier to shoot over them as opposed to SF which are more than likely the same size. On defense, I prefer he doesn't guard SF. With his BBIQ, team defense and length it's easier to affect SGs.

Kyle is our starting SG, DMC is our starting SF - unless during camp somebody takes either of their spots.

Don't know if anyone noticed but Kyle was a pretty damn good defender last year. Hell I think he blocked HIbbert twice in the playoffs not that that says much, but Kyle's defense is not one of our bigger issues.

I'm a big believer that defense is mostly heart and effort. If you want to defend, you can be good at it. Kyle obviously puts forth the desire.

Honestly I think Korver and DMC not being a slasher is more important! UNLESS DMC becomes a sharp shooter close to Korver or just plain good sharp shooter.....then we are a very very dangerous team.

Next season is going to depend on Teague and other wing players to do their job. I'm not worried about horford and sap, we can argue that they are the best offensive big man tandem in the nba! We can also argue that they are the best offensive shooting big tandem in the nba.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I know that there's a lot we don't know of Bazemore, but I think he will be more effective than anybody here can imagine.  Especially with open lanes.

I can see Bazemore/Korver at the 2/3.

I don't know if we will stick with a Korver/DMC 2/3 because that puts most of our players on the perimeter or in the midrange and only Teague Slashing.

I'm going to enjoy watching him run PNR/PNP on one side and Teague running it on the other.

• Premium Member

Korver is a great shooter but that is about it.  DMC is a hustler and scrapper and can shoot a little.  If either is starting on your team your not title contending.  

Just the cold hard facts folks.

• Like 1

Korver is a great shooter but that is about it.  DMC is a hustler and scrapper and can shoot a little.  If either is starting on your team your not title contending.  

Just the cold hard facts folks.

I need to dig up the Kyle Korver articles as it relates to his defense and the misconception.

He is not a one on one defender because of a lack  lateral quickness.  But when it comes to team defense he is outstanding.

Excerpt from Grantland article:

"Korver will try to keep still when Budenholzer wants and grow more comfortable with Atlanta’s defensive principles. Korver is a solid defender despite a reputation as a liability. His teams have generally defended at about the same level regardless of whether he’s on the floor, and the league’s emphasis on ball movement and shooting plays to his strengths on defense too.

Wing players in today’s NBA have to shift all over the floor as the opposing offense moves the ball, and Korver is always tugging in the right direction. He’s hyper-alert, glancing back and forth, computing what the eight players away from him are doing second by second without losing his guy.

He knows when to help from the weak side, when to stick with a corner shooter on the strong side, when to fake help, and when a crisis is afoot. 

“Wing players have to move more in today’s game,” says Clifford, the Hornets coach. “And if you watch the film, he’s always aware.”

Korver’s biggest weakness is probably that he helps too much, straying into the paint to snuff out a threat that isn’t so serious. “It’s similar to how he can’t stand still on offense,” Budenholzer says. “He just wants to be involved and help his teammates, and sometimes he over-helps.”

He’ll never be the kind of long-armed, explosive athlete who can work as a shutdown wing defender; there’s a reason Jarrett Jack is able to sink that triple over him in the above clip. But he’s worked hard to clean up his individual defense, with quick and precise footwork that can contain superior one-on-one players."

SBNAtion:

And Korver is no one-trick pony either. He's received a reputation for being a defensive sieve, which could not be further from the truth. Nobody is going to ask him to shut down LeBron James, but Korver is one of the best wing help defenders in the league. He always finds himself at the nail when appropriate, and when the Hawks double-team or overload one side when he isn't directly involved in the play, he slides over quickly to account for the man who would be open otherwise. Look at all the work he does to disrupt this Lakers play.

If Korver were just a shooter, the Hawks wouldn't still be over .500 despite losing Al Horford for the season and dealing with suboptimal backups on the wing.

Edited by JayBirdHawk