• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who would move the Hawks?

Diesel

I do recall Dolf saying the site would change to follow the new team.

I don't think we have to worry about that though.  No way the league loses a top 8 TV market to gain a lesser market just to fill the arena.  Ticket sales are less of a deciding factor nowadays anyway IIUC.

Well I am not the "owner" of the site so I can't say that with certainty, but I am pretty sure that we would move. If not then I'd likely start a new site for the Hawks, wherever they ended up. 

Another thing most people dont realize, the NBA doesn't care about attendance. They care about TV viewers. They aren't letting a team out of the biggest city in the South.

And when the Hawks are in the playoffs, they have great atmospheres that look just like any other site in the league.

What? Do you realize how many national TV games the Hawks have? It's near the bottom in the NBA. Nobody gives a damn about the Hawks. 

And the NBA doesn't care about attendance? What the heck are you talking about. 

I'm sure people never thought the NFL would allow Los Angeles, a much bigger market than Atlanta, to lose not 1 but TWO NFL teams either. 

Bottom line. Never say never. The NBA are desperately wanting to get a team into Seattle and capitalize on this Seattle fan frenzy going on right now. They can always bring in an expansion team down the line to get a city back in Atlanta. 

Ted Turner supposedly wanted to move the team to Charlotte early in his ownership, so you never know what an owner is going to do.  If Gearon and the rest of the Atlanta Spirit Goofs remain part of the clownership, I'd just as soon the team did move to Seattle and we got an expansion team with new owners.  But that's not my first choice.  (It would be kind of mean for Seattle fans to get screwed twice by the NBA.)

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

What? Do you realize how many national TV games the Hawks have? It's near the bottom in the NBA. Nobody gives a damn about the Hawks.

And the NBA doesn't care about attendance? What the heck are you talking about.

I'm sure people never thought the NFL would allow Los Angeles, a much bigger market than Atlanta, to lose not 1 but TWO NFL teams either.

Bottom line. Never say never. The NBA are desperately wanting to get a team into Seattle and capitalize on this Seattle fan frenzy going on right now. They can always bring in an expansion team down the line to get a city back in Atlanta.

TV dollars rule.

It's why the SEC expanded into Texas and Missouri.

They didn't add a Clemson, Florida State, Louisville because they already are in those markets.

The NBA is not desperate to get into Seattle.

People in the Northwest are buying Lakers and Blazers jerseys and whatever else is the flavor of the month. The league is making plenty of money up that way. I mean the league is booming at a global level right now. They aren't desperate for anything.

I'm sure they care about attendance figures, but TV and merchandise is where it's at.

Just about any regular season game is going to have a late arriving crowd and empties throughout, especially when you play 82.

When the Hawks make the playoffs, the place is packed, just like any other joint in the league.

The NBA ain't leaving Atlanta.

I really think attendance is secondary to TV dollars.  I wouldn't go as far as to say the NBA doesn't care, but they don't care enough to move a team with the goal of filling the building.  What if the team moves to Seattle and the fanbase erodes for the same reasons it's paltry here?

That initial bump in interest will fade (not "may" fade, will fade).  It's about how management builds and sustains a desirable product. Newsflash: That can happen here too with new ownership.  Heck, even the existing clowners could luck into it by the "blind squirrel" method.

Someone mentioned earlier how NBA TV is based here.  Well, TNT (a valuable NBA partner) is also based here.  Those aren't absolute barriers to moving, but they do represent investments in the city that could make the league even more hesitant to picking up roots.  

I do recall Dolf saying the site would change to follow the new team.

I don't think we have to worry about that though. No way the league loses a top 8 TV market to gain a lesser market just to fill the arena. Ticket sales are less of a deciding factor nowadays anyway IIUC.

That's what us Thrashers fans thought, then *poof!*

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That's what us Thrashers fans thought, then *poof!*

It has been several years now and I still can't watch a single minute of the ex Thrashers. I pull for the Blackhawks but when they play them I just refuse to watch. It still hurts too much. I don't think I can ever watch that team play.

• Like 2

Seattle still needs a new stadium.......

A predominantly publicly funded stadium at that.

You know, in case you guys missed the reason why the Thunder were "justified" for ducking out in the first place and why the NBA allowed Sacramento to put in a "competitive" bid (hundreds of millions less) to keep the Kings despite the Hansen group offering upwards of 700 mil, plus the relocation fee, plus the 65 mil they already spent to buy the real estate, plus whatever billions they were going to foot mostly on their own to build an arena on the plot.  The Hansen group also lost its biggest gun, Ballmer, who bought the Clippers on his own. 

The arena is more or less ready to be built. I believe hansen already has almost all of the land needed to build it. They just aren't going to build an arena without a team first. The stadium is not really going to be publicly funded either. I don't remember all the details, I knew them at one point. It's more of a loan and should require nothing from taxpayers. If anything, people are more worried about traffic that a new arena downtown would bring.

We also still have Key Arena (the storm still play there), which would get some updates and would be used until the new arena is built.

We lost Ballmer, but we still have the Nordstroms

However, I'd hate for the Hawks to relocate. I'd rather get an expansion team or take the bucks or something.

Edited by ag82