• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CBS Sports: "NBA Coaching Rankings: Our ratings for every NBA coach" (Bud Tied for 10th)

yungsta

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24720910/nba-coaching-rankings-our-ratings-for-every-nba-coach

Training camp begins in a week, and players have already trickled into their respective cities to begin training in earnest. We're taking a look at coaches in the NBA this week at Eye on Basketball, starting today with this, your Coach of the Year preseason rankings.

As I looked at last year, ranking coaches is incredibly difficult, and the best way to do it is to break it into tiers because some coaches have different expectations, and that factors into their ranking. It's not just how good a coach they are; most of these guys are unbelievably terrific, which is why they coach in the NBA. It's about their ability to do the job they specifically are tasked with.

The following rankings come with a number on a 1-10 scale. The closer a coach is to 10, the closer they are to being considered the favorite for coach of the year. The closer they are to one, the closer they are to the possibility of being fired. So an 8.0 means that if that team were to win 60 games, that coach would have a great shot at winning coach of the year. Likewise, a 3.5 doesn't mean that that coach is close to losing his job right now, but if the team starts off something like 0-15, the fire under his seat will be insanely hot.

Overall, I wouldn't consider any one coach on the hot seat to start the year, which is rare. There are a few who could find the seats warming quickly with a slow start, but everyone's pretty safe right now, for once.

Coaches are judged on:

• Perceived X's and O's
• Personality management
• Motivational ability
•A little media management (since it's part of the gig) thrown in.

Rankings (Ratings estimated)

The Unknowns (First-year head coaches)

30. Derek Fisher (3.0)
29. Quin Snyder (5.0)
28. Steve Kerr (7.5)
27. David Blatt (8.5)

The Rebuilders

T21. Brad Stevens (3.0)
T21. Brett Brown (3.0)

The Cause-For-Concern-Allotment

T21. Jason Kidd (3.0)
T21. Jacque Vaughn (3.0)
T21. Mike Malone (3.0)
T21. Kevin McHale (3.0)
20. Monty Williams (3.5)
T16. Flip Saunders (4.0)
T16. Brian Shaw (4.0)

The High-Expectations Crew (These coaches represent the middle-rung, and are all (for the most part) good coaches with established reasons why they should win. Some are dealing with expectations of building off a high-mark year, some are dealing with title pressure, and some jobs simply come with seats pre-warmed. These coaches are further away from being fired than some of their peers, but these are also coaches whose seats could get red hot if no-injury disaster befalls them.)

T16. Byron Scott (4.0)
T-16. Randy Wittman (4.0)
15. Dave Joerger (5.0)
14. Lionel Hollins (5.5)
13. Dwane Casey (6.0)
T10. Scott Brooks (6.5)

Hot Commodities

T10. Terry Stotts (6.5)
T10. Mike Budenholzer (6.5)
T8. Stan Van Gundy (7.0)
T8. Frank Vogel (7.0)
T6. Jeff Hornacek (7.5)
T6. Steve Clifford (7.5)

The Elites

5. Tom Thibodeau (8.0)
4. Erik Spoelstra (8.5)
3. Doc Rivers (9.0)
2. Rick Carlisle (9.5)
1. Gregg Popovich (10.0)

• Like 1

• Moderators

That was my first thought.  Who thinks Vogel is that good?   Spoelstra I actually like but he had some advantages for sure.   I know Thibs is a sacred cow in a lot of circles but I think we will see him get knocked down a few pegs over the next couple of years.   That team reminds me of the Hawks Lenny Wilkens years.  Well coached, solid guys, great defenders, but collapsing under the grind.   There again if he can take some cues from Pop and not care so much about regular season wins then I'll deny i ever questioned him.