• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dominique predicts Atlanta vs San Antonio in the NBA Finals

TheNorthCydeRises

• Moderators

Thanks for sharing that!  Good read.

This remains disturbing:

- When asked about the Ferry situation, he said that he was a forgiving person, but said "measures have to be put in place so that never happens again".  To me, what was interesting about his extended answer to this question, was not only did he stop short of saying that he forgave Ferry, he kept going back to saying that "right is right and wrong is wrong".  Doesn't sound like much forgiveness coming from Nique concerning Ferry.  Kind of wonder that if there is a lot more animosity there that we don't know about.

This just emphasizes the downside risk for us with potential animosity from free agents.  It isn't just Nique and Carmelo that are going to have some lingering resentment.

• Moderators

This remains disturbing:

This just emphasizes the downside risk for us with potential animosity from free agents.  It isn't just Nique and Carmelo that are going to have some lingering resentment.

That may be true but Nique is a Gearon guy and I think Gearon has setup camp against Ferry.   While Nique and Hank Aaron are heros of mine it doesn't mean that them coming in with another 8 headed ownership group will be anymore functional than what we've endured for a decade.   

• Moderators

That may be true but Nique is a Gearon guy and I think Gearon has setup camp against Ferry.   While Nique and Hank Aaron are heros of mine it doesn't mean that them coming in with another 8 headed ownership group will be anymore functional than what we've endured for a decade.   

I have no interest in another 8 headed ownership group or any ownership structure where Gearon continues to be involved.  That said, I think it is naive to think Ferry won't have some real backlash from free agents.  We can say "oh, but Carmelo was just insulted by what Ferry said about him and he is a prima donna signed in NY so who cares" and we can say "but Nique is aligned with Gearon and resents Ferry for blocking him from getting a statue and getting involved in the basketball side of things" but it doesn't dismiss the backlash for me.  I think we will just be doing that with the next person who snubs the Hawks because of this as well.  Not everyone will write us off but even if it is just a premium we pay that could be significant since we are trying to build through FA by keeping money for a star (who will always have other options) and by scoring cost effective FA deals (which relies on getting players at or below market rate which means they will likely have similar options).  If we have a problem selling people on the Ferry regime, that could be a significant issue and the fact that Nique is stopping one step short of bad mouthing Ferry in front of the press makes me wonder whether free agents pick up on those signals from him (either through the press or behind the scenes where he might not be as restrained).

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have no interest in another 8 headed ownership group or any ownership structure where Gearon continues to be involved.  That said, I think it is naive to think Ferry won't have some real backlash from free agents.  We can say "oh, but Carmelo was just insulted by what Ferry said about him and he is a prima donna signed in NY so who cares" and we can say "but Nique is aligned with Gearon and resents Ferry for blocking him from getting a statue and getting involved in the basketball side of things" but it doesn't dismiss the backlash for me.  I think we will just be doing that with the next person who snubs the Hawks because of this as well.  Not everyone will write us off but even if it is just a premium we pay that could be significant since we are trying to build through FA by keeping money for a star (who will always have other options) and by scoring cost effective FA deals (which relies on getting players at or below market rate which means they will likely have similar options).  If we have a problem selling people on the Ferry regime, that could be a significant issue and the fact that Nique is stopping one step short of bad mouthing Ferry in front of the press makes me wonder whether free agents pick up on those signals from him (either through the press or behind the scenes where he might not be as restrained).

I honestly don't know.   You may be completely right but we're all hawks all the time around here.   The way the public and news cycles and especially interest in the hawks works around the country, I wouldn't be surprised that if Ferry came back now that most players and probably the vast majority of fans around the country won't even know or remember this happened by next summer.    ESPN doesn't want to interrupt their Lebron coverage to talk about this anymore.    Hell Kevin Martin didn't even know they traded Kevin Love until he got to camp.   Do you think he's even heard about this story?

- Said that his favorite Hawk team to play on, were those mid-80s Hawks teams, and that the 80s era of NBA basketball was the best era. Described it as a MONSTER, because you were going up against a legendary player every night. Even bad teams were good enough to beat you on a nightly basis.

Agreed. 80's were the best. Just some classic teams. I really looked forward to Nique going up against the Lakers, Celtics and Pistons back then but there was just something about 80's ball that made it special.

• Moderators

I honestly don't know.   You may be completely right but we're all hawks all the time around here.   The way the public and news cycles and especially interest in the hawks works around the country, I wouldn't be surprised that if Ferry came back now that most players and probably the vast majority of fans around the country won't even know or remember this happened by next summer.    ESPN doesn't want to interrupt their Lebron coverage to talk about this anymore.    Hell Kevin Martin didn't even know they traded Kevin Love until he got to camp.   Do you think he's even heard about this story?

I don't know for sure.  Only time will tell.  My guess is that if/when Ferry returns, the media will kick this back up again for another round of smear the Hawks.

That would be a fun Finals. Just imagine the TV ratings nimbers!

I think you're on to something there.  A lot of fans of teams, like Miami, who were burned by the Spurs would be pulling for the Hawks.

There's also the "apprentice vs. the master" angle that would be pretty cool.

• Like 1

This remains disturbing:

It also potentially validates the SAS report from his sources.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/398630-stephen-a-smith-dominique-wilkins-wasnt-included-in-the-decision-making-process-as-much-as-before-ferry-arrived/

I don't know for sure.  Only time will tell.  My guess is that if/when Ferry returns, the media will kick this back up again for another round of smear the Hawks.

Exactly. That is why I want a resolution before or after the season. Midseason will tamper with what we are building this year entirely.

If we win like Nique says FAs won't be a problem.  Don't ever remember him making such a bold statement.  Guess the promotion has gone to his head. 

Re: DF...........unless the new owner is completely supportive of him and can 'protect' him from Gearon, he's a marked man.  I think it would be impossible to do his job while always looking over his shoulder to see if he's going to get ambushed.  Afraid it will be a lose-lose situation if he does come back.  Or there could be a hell of a rift between old and new owners over him which would be more of the same in the drama around here. 

• Moderators

Exactly. That is why I want a resolution before or after the season. Midseason will tamper with what we are building this year entirely.

It will be resolved after the sale process when the new majority owner is in place of the current Washington majority.

The players are going to focus and play once they hit court. They don't care about ownership. Like Al said 'that's upstairs and they have no control over it." Just play ball.