• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks vs. Grizzlies

Canopy

Being a West Coaster, I haven't seen the games, but I'll eat crow on at least one thing (so far): I thought for sure the injuries were going to be too much for Jenkins and he was going to end up being cut. It's early, but that doesn't seem even possible at this point. I love shooters and I'm rooting for him. I had just kind of given up.

First time back in here in a while. Man, season is almost upon us. Crazy.

I'm pleased we're seeing a different guard help out with over 5 rebounds a game so far. Bud has stressed this, and I'm a big proponent of it. I truly think Thabo will have his best season to date.

NBATV replaying this game anytime soon? I wanna see how this minutes battle for our young guards shakes out. I've always liked Mack over Dennis, but this stuff I'm hearing about JJ spells even more doom for Dennis, although all 3 shot the ball well as hell last night.

• Moderators

Game over, close game, we lost. It was our 2/3rd unit against their 1st unit.

And this pissed me off. Jeorger playing his three best players against our 2nd and 3rd teamers. I could Bud was upset Jeoger did that too. Reminded me of the time Rex Ryan put Marc Sanchez back in a preseason game. IT'S PRESEASON! Some coaches are overly competitive and I could see the end of Memphis's bench was pissed that they were not getting playing time. Imagine if Gasol re-injured himself or something in a meaningless preseason game. In spite of that, we only lost by 6 which is a win for moral.

I was in the stands last night (and so were quite a few other Hawks fans) and my points in noticed:

Schröder is still out of control and forcing things that aren't there. Gets in trouble which usually results in a turnover. Mack is definitely our backup PG.

Mike Scott played like hot garbage on both ends. He had an offensive spurt in the 4th, but otherwise played like trash. He better watch out, Moose might take ALL of his minutes.

Another solid game from Muscala and Jenkins. Jenkins looks so much better. Still has his shot, and his dribbling and finishing at the hoop is much improved, although he turned the ball over being overly aggressive late in the fourth. Defense is better too. Plays bigger than he is. As for Muscala, he could lead the league in dub-dub's if given minutes. Nice midrange shot, good interior presence, great instincts, and makes his FT's. He seriously looks like Dirk's prodigy out there on offense and he held his own on defense which he handled Gasol, Randolph, and Kuofos well.

We still have problems finishing at the cup. Our guards are like Dolfan's macking game—have a nice first and second move, but can't close the deal. :D jk. Payne, Sap, Scott, and Moose had easy gimme's too and missed them. We are shooting ourselves in the foot if we can't make layups. It seems Bud really is pushing for the focus to be getting the ball inside more and not settling for 20 footers.

Sefo played so-so offensively, but defensively was stellar. I can't wait to see DMC and Thabo out there together. Nothing getting past them.

Big Daddy Payne! Got into foul trouble but WOW! That man knows how to play defense and rebound the basketball. If he can become consistent on the offensive end, we may be seeing a lot of Adreian Payne THIS season. He jumps straight out of his shoes and jumps straight up to block shots. A lot of his fouls were ticky-tack fouls. Block city. A unit of Payne/Muscala is a nice backup rotation.

Overall, I believed we are improved, but we still have a few problems that we carried over from last season. Rebounding will improve by a rebound or two per game. Defense is improved, but only because Thabo > Lou and Adreian Payne. Still undersized. And Schro better watch himself—the NBA is a performance league when fighting for a roster spot. Muscala and Jenkins are my preseason studs. Schröder and Scott are my preseason duds, but many games to be played yet.

• Like 3

I thought Schröder played well, much better than first game. Except for one turnover, he got into the lane and dished out. He would have had more assist if other team members converted easy shots. He was quick and shot well too. With that said, Mack of course is more consistent, in-control and played well too.

I was viewing in a small screen, poor resolution. You had a better vantage point and may have noticed more nuances of the game than I could.

Schröder is still out of control and forcing things that aren't there. Gets in trouble which usually results in a turnover. Mack is definitely our backup PG.

Edited by Canopy

I guess I'm in the minority then but I love that our backups were playing vs their starters, and played well at that. It can't help but give them experience against better players and confidence in knowing they more than held their own. 

It also goes to show you that there's not that much separation between starters and quality backups in this league. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

I thought Schröder played well, much better than first game. Except for one turnover, he got into the lane and dished out. He would have had more assist if other team members converted easy shots. He was quick and shot well too. With that said, Mack of course is more consistent, in-control and played well too.

I was viewing in a small screen, poor resolution. You had a better vantage point and may have noticed more nuances of the game than I could.

He was only accredited one turnover, but he was responsible for more I felt.  There was play he drove the lane late in the shot clock, met Gasol or Kuofos under the hoop, and made a bad pass out to Thabo in the corner who had to leap to save it for going out of bounds.  The play ended on a shot clock violation with Thabo throwing the ball to Scott at the top of the 3pt line which went through his hands.  This entire play could have been avoided if Schröder would have taken what the defense was giving him which was the shot from the high-post or a floater from the free throw line.  I understand Schröder isn't the strongest shooter we have, but a missed shot is better basketball than a shot-clock violation.

I will say that Schröder is the best on-ball defender guard (Thabo and DMC are SF's) we have.  Mack and Teague got burnt a few times and KK looked lost a couple plays.

My only thing I wish would have happened is Kent Bazemore.  Was REALLY wanting to see him and was disappointed he didn't.

I guess I'm in the minority then but I love that our backups were playing vs their starters, and played well at that. It can't help but give them experience against better players and confidence in knowing they more than held their own. 

It also goes to show you that there's not that much separation between starters and quality backups in this league. 

Agreed. I would only expect Memphis players and fans to be annoyed by that. I wish our backups got meaningful time against good starting units in every preseason game. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I see where you're coming from, but it felt like Jeorger cared more about winning a meaningless preseason game over developing talent and seeing what the camp invites could do.  The entire NBA knows what Gasol, Randolph, and Conley can do.  Preseason is for getting your starters warmed up and getting your younger talent experience, not for caring about wins.

I will say it was a pleasure to see Payne hold his own vs. the likes of Gasol, Randolph, and Kuofos.  Muscala did well vs. them too.

• Moderators

Agreed. I would only expect Memphis players and fans to be annoyed by that. I wish our backups got meaningful time against good starting units in every preseason game. 

I agree with you and Dolfan.  I love that we are spending time developing our depth and if other teams want to run with a shallow roster that is their perogative.  I would only be upset if we were the ones running our best players excessive minutes in the preseason.

• Like 2