• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jenkins and Payne sent back to D League

Admin

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dftDh

The Hawks intend to send John Jenkins and Adreian Payne on an NBA Development League assignment Friday. The move will give the little-used players needed game action.

Jenkins and Payne will be assigned to Fort Wayne, the Hawks’ D-League affiliate. The Mad Ants play six games in 10 days beginning Friday. Both are expected to travel Thursday evening.

Jenkins has appeared in just one game this season. He scored 12 points, on 5 of 10 shooting, against the Cavaliers on Nov. 15. The third-year guard is returning from offseason back surgery but has not been a part of the Hawks’ rotation. The shooting guard is healthy but has been inactive in eight of the Hawks’ 13 games.

Jenkins, a first-round pick in 2012, was limited to just 13 games last season with back problems that eventually required surgery in February.

Payne, this year’s first-round draft pick, has yet to play this season. He has been inactive in 12 of 13 games, including the first five of the season with plantar fasciitis in his left foot.

Payne returned from a two-game stint with Fort Wayne on Sunday. In games Friday and Saturday, he averaged 12.0 points, 10.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.0 blocks in 31.0 minutes. Payne started the second game for the Mad Ants at center.

“It went good,” Payne said following the Hawks loss to the Raptors Wednesday. “It was good for me to go down there and play, get some game reps. That is the main thing, trying to get back in game flow. If you haven’t played in a while you get rusty.”

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said before Wednesday’s game that he got a good report from Payne’s outing.

“A lot of positives,” he said. “Just like anything, you also see areas where he can work and improve. I think it was a good experience for him overall.

“For our young players and players who aren’t getting a chance to play in games, I really do believe getting them playing time and playing opportunities is important. The D-League can be invaluable in that way.”

Fort Wayne hosts Delaware Friday. The remainder of the upcoming schedule includes at Sioux Falls Saturday, vs. Iowa (Dec. 2), at Maine (Dec. 4), at Canton (Dec. 6) and vs. Westchester (Dec. 7).

The Mad Ants also recently signed former Hawk Dahntay Jones, who is expected to debut Friday.

• Like 1

Makes sense to me.  Let the kids play.  I hope its not just a deal where they got a cheap round ticket by getting a Friday stay over.  Let them play in Fort Wayne until there is a real chance for them to play for us.

And if Kobe ever gets sent down to the D-League, he better watch out for the Mad Ants.

• Like 1

• Moderators

U Mad, Ants?

"I'm Told Johnny..."

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

Both of them should dominate the D-League so it is good but nothing significant that they are performing well and I prefer to see them get minutes in the D-League than just sit on the bench....BUT I am growing concerned that we aren't seeing Payne joining the rotation.  He is 23 years old so I am not buying completely into a slow growth plan like Dennis.  I will refrain from getting too upset in light of the development of Scott and Schröder but I expected more once he was healthy given how much this team needs his rebounding.

• Like 2

• Admin

Both of them should dominate the D-League so it is good but nothing significant that they are performing well and I prefer to see them get minutes in the D-League than just sit on the bench...

I agree with this ... The whole point of the D-League is for situations where guys can get on court experience.

I think Payne will get his minutes with the team soon.  JJ lack of D concerns me and as a result I don't know where he fits with us.  

• Moderators

JJ lack of D concerns me and as a result I don't know where he fits with us.  

My gut says in the dog house unless injuries force Bud to play him.  JJ is likely gone after this year, IMO, unless something really changes.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I thought JJ was gone for good next year since the Hawks did not re up his rookie deal.

He will be an unrestricted free agent but there is nothing stopping the Hawks from bringing him back.

• Like 1

He will be an unrestricted free agent but there is nothing stopping the Hawks from bringing him back.

Lol, him sucking at basketball would stop the Hawks from bringing him back.

(I don't really think he sux all that bad much, but the above was my first response after reading your post.)

Both of them should dominate the D-League so it is good but nothing significant that they are performing well and I prefer to see them get minutes in the D-League than just sit on the bench....BUT I am growing concerned that we aren't seeing Payne joining the rotation.  He is 23 years old so I am not buying completely into a slow growth plan like Dennis.  I will refrain from getting too upset in light of the development of Scott and Schröder but I expected more once he was healthy given how much this team needs his rebounding.

Payne's BBIQ issues were known during the time of the draft. The Hawks see Payne as a potential good PF. Very good athlete, has range on his shot and has potential on defense but expecting him to play as a rookie for our high BBIQ styled offense isn't ideal. You really need to be smart to play in our offense. 

Payne's BBIQ issues were known during the time of the draft. The Hawks see Payne as a potential good PF. Very good athlete, has range on his shot and has potential on defense but expecting him to play as a rookie for our high BBIQ styled offense isn't ideal. You really need to be smart to play in our offense.

What?????? I'm so sick and tired of hearing BBIQ being thrown around. Hey @Alex you got anything to say about Payne apparently not being smart enough on the court to play for the Hawks this year?

The Hawks played Payne mostly at C in summer league because they believe he can help there and I'd bet he played there in preseason as well.

I gotta disagree with you here.  It's not rocket surgery.