• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Reality Check

asdogg

Hawks have only 4 wins against above .500 teams, out of which only Washington is really a winning team, NO and Heatx2 were only 1 game above .500. 

Facing contending teams Hawks are  0-4 ( raptors x2, spurs, Cleveland). Only the spurs game was close. 

Against sub .500 teams Hawks are 8-2. 

20% winning percentage against top ranked teams is concerning.  The sample size is small and hopefully we can improve. However, we still have a lot to prove. 

On the bright side we are beating weak teams like we should. I hope we don't wind up like the  Lenny Wilkns ,Smitty, Mookie teams of the 90's. 

• Like 1

Hawks have only 4 wins against above .500 teams, out of which only Washington is really a winning team, NO and Heatx2 were only 1 game above .500. 

Facing contending teams Hawks are  0-4 ( raptors x2, spurs, Cleveland). Only the spurs game was close. 

Against sub .500 teams Hawks are 8-2. 

20% winning percentage against top ranked teams is concerning.  The sample size is small and hopefully we can improve. However, we still have a lot to prove. 

On the bright side we are beating weak teams like we should. I hope we don't wind up like the  Lenny Wilkns ,Smitty, Mookie teams of the 90's. 

I've already covered this.

So:  These "super" teams can whip us?  We know that.  Yet, some of these

great teams sometimes lose to some of the lesser teams.  Just because they

may have beaten us in the past doesn't guarantee them future victories.

"On any given night, any NBA team can beat any other NBA team."

If we didn't believe this, sad would be our faces each and every time we thought

about it.  We can beat these teams.  Just because we haven't yet doesn't guarantee

that we will not do it later.

Wouldn't it be great if we were really THAT good!  We could strut!  Be arrogant!

Then we could be hated by every other NBA team and every fan alive that isn't

a real Hawks fan.  Then, the remainder of us might hate the arrogance so much

that we refused to be a fan of such a team.

We may not be great - - Not yet.  But, being this good sure feels nice, doesn't it!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 1

I read yesterday that the Raptors statistically have the best offense in 35 years. They're really hot now, but I expect they'll cool down a bit. I'm not sure why you say neither game was close. The first was 103-99 with 1:25 left and the second was 109-105 with 4:31 remaining. We gave up two big offensive rebounds in the first game and then they finished really strong in the second game. I think our team has more room to grow from those first two games, but the Raptors have some scary firepower no doubt. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

If the Hawks are winning, it must be weak opponents.

Why are our fans so self-loathing?

The reason why is that we have been teased a lot of times only to watch the team fall on their face as soon as the spotlight shifts to Atlanta possibly moving to the next level.  The people who do the rankings say our schedule has been one of the easiest and a significant number of fans fear that might be the reason it looks so good.  

I wouldn't call it self-loathing -- more of a fear from some fans that we are watching the bubble inflate before it bursts and our record comes crashing back down.  If the Hawks are still taking names after that late December stretch, I don't think anyone will have reason to doubt our regular season prospects.

life is short- enjoy the moment. For the moment, the Hawks are one of the top 2 teams in the east by W-L. I'll take that. A win is a win, is a win.

During the Woody era, we'd moan about losing to bad teams. Now we are winning against bad teams and we're complaing about that.

Just enjoy the moment.

• Like 2

IMO to be considered an elite team, a team has to consistently beat other good teams. Over the past 5 years ECF and WCF teams have won on average 58% and  61% of games against opp >.500, respectively.  

Currently, the Hawks have on average 35 more games against > .500 opponents. Thus the Hawks will need win at least 19 (54%) of these games to be at .500 or 23 (66%) of these games to have a winning percentage comparable to past ECF/WCF teams.

Caveats abound as the 2010 Hawks had a 56% winning percentage against >.500 teams but got dismantled in 4 games by the Magic, a 64% win percentage team, in the second round. But the Magic and Cavs both with similar win percentages against top teams got beat by a veteran Boston team with only a 50% win percentage against >.500 teams.

• Like 2

IMO to be considered an elite team, a team has to consistently beat other good teams. Over the past 5 years ECF and WCF teams have won on average 58% and  61% of games against opp >.500, respectively.  

Currently, the Hawks have on average 35 more games against > .500 opponents. Thus the Hawks will need win at least 19 (54%) of these games to be at .500 or 23 (66%) of these games to have a winning percentage comparable to past ECF/WCF teams.

Caveats abound as the 2010 Hawks had a 56% winning percentage against >.500 teams but got dismantled in 4 games by the Magic, a 64% win percentage team, in the second round. But the Magic and Cavs both with similar win percentages against top teams got beat by a veteran Boston team with only a 50% win percentage against >.500 teams.

I feel like you just talked us in a circle there with the theory of beating >.500 teams lol

If the Hawks are winning, it must be weak opponents.

Why are our fans so self-loathing?

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Hawks have moved into a tie for second place in the Eastern Conference.

But with 63 games left in the regular season, Kyle Korver isn't getting too excited.

"Every NBA game is tough, but we've had a favorable schedule to this point," he said. "We've gotten to play some teams that aren't as high up in the standings as we're going to play later."

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400578587

So... Even Kyle Korver notices that the schedule has been weak.