• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What will it take for Payne to get minutes?

GameTime

All due respect to those that say he just needs to learn the system but, to say it'll take him a year or more to get it down?

Sorry, we're not splitting atoms out there.  He's not "challenged".  Our current rotation guys aren't MIT professors in tube socks.

If you feel like he won't contribute more than Old Man Brand then fine.  I don't like that as it draws question as to what level of player Payne is, but I can accept that as a legit reason Payne's in the D-league.

I can't accept the notion that he has to get a degree in Hawks Basketball before he can hit the floor.  That's a little absurd and makes me concerned that our fanbase is getting a little brainwashed on the system stuff again.

http://stats.nbadleague.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=204259

9 games:

29.2 minutes

13.7 points

9.2 rebounds

2.2 assists

1.0 blocks

0.7 steals

2.3 turnovers

.443/.167/.778

Dang. Rebounds arent bad, but those shooting percentages are ... um, ... less than ideal. .167??? Needs to get some shooting lessons from our guy Kyle. I also figured his blocks would be higher.

All due respect to those that say he just needs to learn the system but, to say it'll take him a year or more to get it down?

Sorry, we're not splitting atoms out there. He's not "challenged". Our current rotation guys aren't MIT professors in tube socks.

If you feel like he won't contribute more than Old Man Brand then fine. I don't like that as it draws question as to what level of player Payne is, but I can accept that as a legit reason Payne's in the D-league.

I can't accept the notion that he has to get a degree in Hawks Basketball before he can hit the floor. That's a little absurd and makes me concerned that our fanbase is getting a little brainwashed on the system stuff again.

Agreed. It's simple Bud wants to play Pero and Brand. Its not rocket surgery.

You cant teach veteran savviness and old man strength.

Agreed. It's simple Bud wants to play Pero and Brand. Its not rocket surgery.

You cant teach veteran savviness and old man strength.

"Rocket surgery", huh?  Is that anything like brain science?

Agree he's probably just relying on known quantities (sounds better than me saying old dudes).  It's pretty typical of coaches.  (Funny Woody got absolutely roasted for doing this with Bibby over Teague IIRC.  Double-standard?)  Gotta figure how to fold the young guys in so they learn too though.  If an old dude blows a tire what then?

Lastly, I'm pretty sure you spelled ol' man skrenf wrong.

• Moderators

"Rocket surgery", huh?  Is that anything like brain science?

Agree he's probably just relying on known quantities (sounds better than me saying old dudes).  It's pretty typical of coaches.  (Funny Woody got absolutely roasted for doing this with Bibby over Teague IIRC.  Double-standard?)  Gotta figure how to fold the young guys in so they learn too though.  If an old dude blows a tire what then?

Lastly, I'm pretty sure you spelled ol' man skrenf wrong.

Woody had a 7 or 8 man rotation.  We're playing 10 guys decent minutes almost every night with our starters capping out around 30 minutes typically.   

Right now Millsap leads the team at 33 minutes a game.   Woody's last year both Josh and Al were averaging 35+ and Joe was at 38.  I think Bud has a pretty solid track record of developing guys and getting them in games if they can play.   It just doesn't always happen as fast as we want.  

When I said he is Marcus Fizer. I caught hell from posters and many others like him. His skill-set is similar. He just has more range. I don't see much difference. I don't see that explosiveness to dunk on ppl. Just tip in dunks. Defensively, they are similar. It will take him time tho. I don't see a very good player. Just a potentially good player who is kinda raw. See David West level if healthy.

He's far more athletic than Marcus Fizer. I can assure you of that. His offensive game is also better because of his ability to knock down the three point shot. Not sure what footage or what you've watched that tells you Payne can't get to the rim and finish...and what is wrong with tip dunks anyway? I guess his ability to read where the ball is going off the rim, time his jump, and manage to avoid being boxed out are just traits of every single player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And for the record Payne was diagnosed with some sort of learning disability.

So how does that factor into him learning Bud's offense and defense? Does it take him longer to grasp concepts? Is he dyslexic?

So how does that factor into him learning Bud's offense and defense? Does it take him longer to grasp concepts? Is he dyslexic?

Yeah, when Budz says, "Box that guy out", Payne starts wrapping gifts.  Wha?

I don't know what it does to him...if anything at all. He has ADHD.