• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Timberwolves

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

The Twolves bench is dead. No one claps or anything. A lot of them are watching the skits during timeouts

Thabo and Martin had a nice conversation in the 4th quarter during the game.   Martin and Rubio thought it was hilarious. 

The Twolves have some talent and could be good in the future with a few more pieces.    I know people will say I'm ignorant but Pek and Dieng just seem like a dying breed of nba centers.   When you have good team defense like the hawks, having guys on the floor that you don't have to guard outside of 3 feet from the basket makes things so much easier.   

The Twolves have some talent and could be good in the future with a few more pieces. .

I hope not @Wrerch and I have a crow bet that Minny will be better than Atl in 3 years. So far Hawks 1, Minny 0. Lol. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Minn is hurt like crazy. They get Okafor or another top pick in the draft that pans out to go with Rubio, Wiggins and Pek/Dieng...wow. That team will be scary good if it can stay healthy.

And Young.   They are a team that should be trying to grab Shelvin Mack.  Of course like you said they don't need to win this year.   

And Young.   They are a team that should be trying to grab Shelvin Mack.  Of course like you said they don't need to win this year.   

Will Young resign in Minny?  He is a free agent.

Near the end, I was concerned about Thad Youngs scoring?  This guy was out working us underneath.   However, Teague-time is when Putemonskates becomes thecloser.

I think we have the possibility of straying from our offense.  Especially when Dennis is in the game, but the first team always goes back to it.

lolwut?

Did you even watch the game? Dennis had a +/- of 10. The only thing keeping Minnessota in the game was Mo Williams scoring(against Teague), and Young his extraordinary efficiency in the assigned role he got.

And Dennis his D was off the charts...

When people complain about the "straying from our offense" or that "Dennis is playing to much hero-ball", people need to understand that coach Bud wants him to. Of course you dont get the Teague-Korver-Carrol-Milsapp-Horford offense, with Dennis and maybe one or two of the starting line-up.

But that second unit is off the charts D, and Dennis his drives go great with the Antić and Scott type of games they have.

http://www.startribune.com/video/289745511.html

I thought some people might find that video interesting. It's the postgame of Flip Saunders where he is giving major props to the Hawks. Something along the lines of you don't really get a sense of just how good we are until you get out there and play against them. Says the Hawks are the best combination of offense and defense they have played this year (and this is coming on a night when we were lackadasical on D).

• Like 1

http://www.startribune.com/video/289745511.html

I thought some people might find that video interesting. It's the postgame of Flip Saunders where he is giving major props to the Hawks. Something along the lines of you don't really get a sense of just how good we are until you get out there and play against them. Says the Hawks are the best combination of offense and defense they have played this year (and this is coming on a night when we were lackadasical on D).

He should know full well. Sam Mitchell did post game for the radio broadcasts last year, he jumped on the bandwagon before anyone. He saw the sky's the limit with Al's addition early last year like I did.

I never understood the fascination with Flip, I think he's mediocre at best. Sam Mitchell would have them playing a little better and more consistently. Minny does have some nice talent there, though. Imagine Thaddeus Young in place of Mike Scott?

I just laugh when people even speak of th Cavs. LeBron isn't nearly enough to stop that train wreck of a franchise. To trade Wiggins after (and why isn't this a mich bigger story?) the biggest #1 bust in draft history is just sad. That kid is gonna be better than everyone else on their team not named LeBron in 2-3 years and Love will be long gone.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

He should know full well. Sam Mitchell did post game for the radio broadcasts last year, he jumped on the bandwagon before anyone. He saw the sky's the limit with Al's addition early last year like I did.

You did?

You did?

Yeah, after Jan 8 I was pretty much all in. Seeing us dominate the #1 seed start to finish pretty easily live sold me. You likely wouldn't find a pessimistic post regarding the team since. Just Lou and Al's health outlook. This is the exact same offense as last year's, it's just the defense went from mediocre to the Larry Brown Pistons is all.

Imagine Thaddeus Young in place of Mike Scott?

I would absolutely love that, but it's probably not possible with Young already making $9m per year - which is only half a million less than we are paying Milsap. Just another example of how lucky we were to get Milsap for the contract he got; don't kill us on your next contract Milsap, please. comando.gif

IMHO I know there is a resistance to messing with the team chemistry, and I completely understand that. But if we were to make some move to improve the team I'm thinking upgrading the backup PF in place of Scott would be where to do it. It's between him the Bazemore at backup SG; but the way Bazemore has been coming on as the season has progressed and he's getting more comfortable, and as long as he can keep playing insane defense like last night, then Scott is the weakest link.

He's just so maddeningly inconsistent. When he is on, he's absolutely amazing. But it seems like he's only on about 1 out of every 5 or 6 games, which just isn't enough. It's more than just him missing open shots. It's missing easy layups, misshandling passes, turning the ball over, and just genereally disrupting the flow of the normal offense or defense. I dunno, maybe I'm being too critical, but most games he just stands out to me like a sore thumb. But if he's the biggest thing I've got to complain about, we're in pretty darn good shape overall.

Edited by RandomFan

I would absolutely love that, but it's probably not possible with Young already making $9m per year - which is only half a million less than we are paying Milsap. Just another example of how lucky we were to get Milsap for the contract he got; don't kill us on your next contract Milsap, please. comando.gif

IMHO I know there is a resistance to messing with the team chemistry, and I completely understand that. But if we were to make some move to improve the team I'm thinking upgrading the backup PF in place of Scott would be where to do it. It's between him the Bazemore at backup SG; but the way Bazemore has been coming on as the season has progressed and he's getting more comfortable, and as long as he can keep playing insane defense like last night, then Scott is the weakest link.

He's just so maddeningly inconsistent. When he is on, he's absolutely amazing. But it seems like he's only on about 1 out of every 5 or 6 games, which just isn't enough. It's more than just him missing open shots. It's missing easy layups, misshandling passes, turning the ball over, and just genereally disrupting the flow of the normal offense or defense. I dunno, maybe I'm being too critical, but most games he just stands out to me like a sore thumb. But if he's the biggest thing I've got to complain about, we're in pretty darn good shape overall.

Mike Scott has been our most inconsistent player offensively I will say that.

Who is available with a similar skill set for about $6 mil (his salary is $3 mil plus the $3 mil under the cap).

My concern is how quickly can they pick up this read and react offense, but more importantly the defensive concepts. Scott is not a great defender but he has improved both individually but more importantly the team defense.

Mike Scott has been our most inconsistent player offensively I will say that.

Who is available with a similar skill set for about $6 mil (his salary is $3 mil plus the $3 mil under the cap).

My concern is how quickly can they pick up this read and react offense, but more importantly the defensive concepts. Scott is not a great defender but he has improved both individually but more importantly the team defense.

I think Scott is awesome on the offense end and brings some electricity when he touches the ball and starts many of our 6-0,8-0,10-0 spurts. Be happy with what you have, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I agree, he's the odd man out. I think Mack is untouchable due to being an injury insurance. Mike simply doesn't have the defensive intensity or know-how for "The Group" and the poor finishes around the rim ain't gonna cut it. He's like Bellinelli for the Spurs last year, didn't contribute much relative to the other 10.

I think Scott is awesome on the offense end and brings some electricity when he touches the ball and starts many of our 6-0,8-0,10-0 spurts. Be happy with what you have, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Oh, I'm not interested in trading Scott (this season :-)).

• Premium Member

I never understood the fascination with Flip, I think he's mediocre at best. Sam Mitchell would have them playing a little better and more consistently. Minny does have some nice talent there, though. Imagine Thaddeus Young in place of Mike Scott?

I just laugh when people even speak of th Cavs. LeBron isn't nearly enough to stop that train wreck of a franchise. To trade Wiggins after (and why isn't this a mich bigger story?) the biggest #1 bust in draft history is just sad. That kid is gonna be better than everyone else on their team not named LeBron in 2-3 years and Love will be long gone.

Flip's doing a great job at the GM and he only took the HC job when he couldn't get Dave Jurgens (spelling) to leave Mem to go home to Minn to coach there. He's probably a one year and done HC and will go to just the GM role after the season.